Polling Locations Clogged

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2016, 01:14 PM
RE: Polling Locations Clogged
(08-11-2016 08:47 AM)Keen Wrote:  I was in line for 20 minutes when I found out the wait was going to be 1 hour+
So I left without voting. Irritates me that Im standing there losing pay from my job just to choose between two ass holes.

A friend of mine was saying in new mexico they have like 20% of the polling places they had in 2012 in some counties. And when the supreme court said they don't have to enforce the VRA anymore, a lot of places in the south were able to just close stuff where they wanted

My wait was surprisingly short; there were three people in line in front of me, and it took five minutes from getting out of my truck to punching candidates on the screen.

Of course, I live in rural Texas, so there's that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2016, 03:35 PM
(08-11-2016 12:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 11:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't know why you would say that. Angry under-educated lower income voters make up a good chunk of Trump supporters. Much of the youth vote is on college campuses, missing work won't affect their turnout. And the yuppies don't have an issue talking time off from work. Their employers likely encourage it. You go through some serious mental gymnastics to try and deny the obvious ramifications. You argue politics like a fundie argues God.

You confuse "under educated" with income. The average GOP voter makes more money than the average Democrat voter. The average GOP voter might not have a college degree but they have jobs that make money. Plumbers, construction workers, police, laborors etc. I don't have a college degree but I've always had a well paying job. My wife manages a restaurant for 6 figures and she only has a GED. Lots of college graduates out there working at Starbucks because the high paying jobs they want are hard to find.

Do they get a paid absence to vote? If not are your plumbers and construction workers and laborers etc. gonna take off time and lose money to vote? If not then your point about education vs. income is irrelevant to your original point that this somehow benefits Trump. It doesn't.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-11-2016, 03:36 PM
[Image: bialik-voter-lastnames2.png?w=1150]

"Sure, there are 13 letters between A and M in the English alphabet, and 13 between N and Z. But voters’ names aren’t evenly distributed between the two groups. TargetSmart, a company that provides voter data to campaigns, looked at more than 200 million registered U.S. voters and found that 63 percent of voters fall into the A-M group and just 37 percent in the N-Z group. Splitting the A-Ks from L-Zs would work much better, with 49.4 percent of voters falling in the first group.”

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/201...tra_banner

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-11-2016, 03:37 PM
My last name starts with an N, lucky me!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-11-2016, 04:02 PM
(08-11-2016 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 12:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You confuse "under educated" with income. The average GOP voter makes more money than the average Democrat voter. The average GOP voter might not have a college degree but they have jobs that make money. Plumbers, construction workers, police, laborors etc. I don't have a college degree but I've always had a well paying job. My wife manages a restaurant for 6 figures and she only has a GED. Lots of college graduates out there working at Starbucks because the high paying jobs they want are hard to find.

Do they get a paid absence to vote? If not are your plumbers and construction workers and laborers etc. gonna take off time and lose money to vote? If not then your point about education vs. income is irrelevant to your original point that this somehow benefits Trump. It doesn't.

Well, I think his point was not that the higher-paid workers aren't going to lose money by taking off of work, but that they could better afford the loss of money than lower-paid workers. And that seems plausible to me -- unless they're spending all their money and living paycheck-to-paycheck just like the lower-paid workers.
08-11-2016, 04:04 PM
(08-11-2016 11:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 09:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you not know that Democrats are at least equally guilty of gerrymandering?

The Peoples Republic of Maryland is one of the highest gerrymandered states along with NC.

I give you the "Praying Mantis" (yes we name them). Big Grin

[Image: md3.jpg]

Dang, when Rev said y'alls voting precincts were nuts I never imagined it was this bad! Hobo Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
08-11-2016, 04:10 PM
(08-11-2016 11:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 09:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you not know that Democrats are at least equally guilty of gerrymandering?

The Peoples Republic of Maryland is one of the highest gerrymandered states along with NC.

I give you the "Praying Mantis" (yes we name them). Big Grin

[Image: md3.jpg]

Don't forget Illinois 4th.

[Image: fourth-district-of-illinois-map1.jpg]

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
08-11-2016, 04:15 PM
I voted by mail weeks ago. No problems at all.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
08-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Here when I voted in our last election we had three days to vote (over the weekend too), the voting places are all over the place (I had at least three within a 15min walk of me) and when I actually went to vote I simply just showed up, went up to the lady and gave her my name and all that. No line, no wait, 5minutes in and out.

I don't understand why you guys don't do it over a couple days, it's stupid that a country of 300,000,000 expects everyone to vote on one day and on one day in the middle of the working week.

One thing you do do that I like though is all the other issues that vote for at the same time, weed legalization for example. Here we just vote for government. Though we don't have a wait time so I guess it makes sense that if you're waiting 2 hours or so to vote that you get to vote on other shit besides whose gonna be president.
08-11-2016, 04:33 PM
(08-11-2016 04:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here when I voted in our last election we had three days to vote (over the weekend too), the voting places are all over the place (I had at least three within a 15min walk of me) and when I actually went to vote I simply just showed up, went up to the lady and gave her my name and all that. No line, no wait, 5minutes in and out.

I don't understand why you guys don't do it over a couple days, it's stupid that a country of 300,000,000 expects everyone to vote on one day and on one day in the middle of the working week.

One thing you do do that I like though is all the other issues that vote for at the same time, weed legalization for example. Here we just vote for government. Though we don't have a wait time so I guess it makes sense that if you're waiting 2 hours or so to vote that you get to vote on other shit besides whose gonna be president.

Here in Wisconsin, USA, it's not only just one day, but the polls are only open from 7 AM to 8 PM (which doesn't leave a lot of time if your work hours are 8 AM to 6 PM like mine), and there are specific polling places for each precinct. So there is one and only one place I can go to vote. Fortunately, it's only about a mile from my apartment. I voted on my way to work this morning.

However, there are such things as absentee ballots and "early voting". In the old days, you could only do those things if you had special reasons to, but it's gotten considerably more lenient. I think just about anyone can vote early now if they want to. The bottom line is that if you really want to vote, you have no excuse not to. But it's not as easy as it could be.