Polling Locations Clogged

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2016, 04:40 PM
RE: Polling Locations Clogged
(08-11-2016 04:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 04:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here when I voted in our last election we had three days to vote (over the weekend too), the voting places are all over the place (I had at least three within a 15min walk of me) and when I actually went to vote I simply just showed up, went up to the lady and gave her my name and all that. No line, no wait, 5minutes in and out.

I don't understand why you guys don't do it over a couple days, it's stupid that a country of 300,000,000 expects everyone to vote on one day and on one day in the middle of the working week.

One thing you do do that I like though is all the other issues that vote for at the same time, weed legalization for example. Here we just vote for government. Though we don't have a wait time so I guess it makes sense that if you're waiting 2 hours or so to vote that you get to vote on other shit besides whose gonna be president.

Here in Wisconsin, USA, it's not only just one day, but the polls are only open from 7 AM to 8 PM (which doesn't leave a lot of time if your work hours are 8 AM to 6 PM like mine), and there are specific polling places for each precinct. So there is one and only one place I can go to vote. Fortunately, it's only about a mile from my apartment. I voted on my way to work this morning.

However, there are such things as absentee ballots and "early voting". In the old days, you could only do those things if you had special reasons to, but it's gotten considerably more lenient. I think just about anyone can vote early now if they want to. The bottom line is that if you really want to vote, you have no excuse not to. But it's not as easy as it could be.

I think the fact that early voting has become so popular is evident that you guys desperately need to change the way you vote. Move it to the weekend and/or make it a national holiday, or extend it out a couple days and make the polls open longer hours and have more.

Surely if the Democrats win they'll do this, it makes sense for them because it affects them the most.

But of course, this is America, the land where nothing has progressed past the Cold War so that'll never happen and you guys will continue to having a shitty voting day experience for generations to come, as per tradition.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2016, 04:53 PM
I was there at 8:15 this morning. My wife was the only person ahead of me. Two seniors behind me. Otherwise, aside from the polling agents, the place was a ghost town.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Done. No lines. In and out with 2 of my sons in under 10 minutes. I voted for Humongous Bone in the Bung Hole Party. One of my sons voted for Gigantic Meteor.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-11-2016, 05:06 PM
(08-11-2016 04:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 04:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Here in Wisconsin, USA, it's not only just one day, but the polls are only open from 7 AM to 8 PM (which doesn't leave a lot of time if your work hours are 8 AM to 6 PM like mine), and there are specific polling places for each precinct. So there is one and only one place I can go to vote. Fortunately, it's only about a mile from my apartment. I voted on my way to work this morning.

However, there are such things as absentee ballots and "early voting". In the old days, you could only do those things if you had special reasons to, but it's gotten considerably more lenient. I think just about anyone can vote early now if they want to. The bottom line is that if you really want to vote, you have no excuse not to. But it's not as easy as it could be.

I think the fact that early voting has become so popular is evident that you guys desperately need to change the way you vote. Move it to the weekend and/or make it a national holiday, or extend it out a couple days and make the polls open longer hours and have more.

Surely if the Democrats win they'll do this, it makes sense for them because it affects them the most.

But of course, this is America, the land where nothing has progressed past the Cold War so that'll never happen and you guys will continue to having a shitty voting day experience for generations to come, as per tradition.

Well, it's not as simple as "the Democrats win". Not counting the Supreme Court (whose members are not strictly Democrat or Republican, although they usually lean one way or the other), there are 3 branches of government: the President (currently Democrat), the Senate, and the House of Representatives. The latter two both have a Republican majority at the moment, and the House will almost certainly retain that majority. The Democrats could gain a majority in the Senate if this election goes well, but that's not a sure thing. The Democrats can't exactly do whatever they want unless they control all 3 branches, and that's highly unlikely to happen in this election. If Hillary Clinton wins the Presidency but both houses of Congress retain Republican majorities, she'll be lucky if she can accomplish anything at all.
08-11-2016, 05:20 PM
In Europe (or at least Hungary), elections are usually held on a Sunday, so work time wouldn't affect it. The only solution to gerrymandering is, IMO, to have a popular vote - whoever gets 50% + 1 vote wins. Also, given how Trump isn't accepted by all republicans, he too, could have a hard time pushing populist legislation through congress (provided he wins and keeps to his word)

And sorry for the (possibly) stupid question: is a green card necessary for voting? If not, southern states could lean more towards democrats.
08-11-2016, 05:32 PM
(08-11-2016 05:20 PM)Naridar Wrote:  In Europe (or at least Hungary), elections are usually held on a Sunday, so work time wouldn't affect it. The only solution to gerrymandering is, IMO, to have a popular vote - whoever gets 50% + 1 vote wins. Also, given how Trump isn't accepted by all republicans, he too, could have a hard time pushing populist legislation through congress (provided he wins and keeps to his word)

And sorry for the (possibly) stupid question: is a green card necessary for voting? If not, southern states could lean more towards democrats.

I can't answer the green card question, but in Wisconsin at least, you have to show some form of ID. I had to produce my driver's license twice before I could get a ballot. As a lifelong US citizen who has never been convicted of any major crimes, I'm eligible to vote for sure. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are.
08-11-2016, 06:29 PM
I was glad to have voted early. Drove by my polling place earlier; the entire church parking lot was filled, so was the parking lot next to it, and they had a line of cars in the street waiting to drop people off as well.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2016, 06:34 PM
(08-11-2016 05:20 PM)Naridar Wrote:  In Europe (or at least Hungary), elections are usually held on a Sunday, so work time wouldn't affect it. The only solution to gerrymandering is, IMO, to have a popular vote - whoever gets 50% + 1 vote wins. Also, given how Trump isn't accepted by all republicans, he too, could have a hard time pushing populist legislation through congress (provided he wins and keeps to his word)

Green card means not a citizen, so may not vote in a US election.