Polytheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Polytheists
There is a lot of hate and debates and retarded ass crap that spawn with our never ending war against monotheists (Christians or those who only have one god.)

What about those who worship multiple gods? I never seen any comments on any religious or other channels from them. Any comments against them from an Agnostic, Atheist or heck. Even Christians seem to completely ignore them as if they didn't exist!

So are their number so few that no one cares? I really do not know what encounters people have had with them and it seems to me that they leave us alone.

So my question is, What is your opinion on these various other multi god religions and what is your impression of them from your experiences?

Anyone ever actually meet an openly Taoist, wiccan, voodoo, or a shinto priest?
Are they basically the same as the others?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Polytheists
(06-05-2014 09:07 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  There is a lot of hate and debates and retarded ass crap that spawn with our never ending war against monotheists (Christians or those who only have one god.)

What about those who worship multiple gods? I never seen any comments on any religious or other channels from them. Any comments against them from an Agnostic, Atheist or heck. Even Christians seem to completely ignore them as if they didn't exist!

So are their number so few that no one cares? I really do not know what encounters people have had with them and it seems to me that they leave us alone.

So my question is, What is your opinion on these various other multi god religions and what is your impression of them from your experiences?

Anyone ever actually meet an openly Taoist, wiccan, voodoo, or a shinto priest?
Are they basically the same as the others?

My mother was wiccan for a while. As a very young kid I remember seeing her books, and she would use crystals, and tarot cards, and similar. I was too dumb to know better so I was pretty fascinated by it all. In terms of the 'cool' factor wiccan definitely has Christianity beat, and it way more fun because you get to use magic and tell the future.

As a side not, I began my path to athiesm talking with my mother and a friend of hers about reincarnation. They would talk about how they were this that or the other thing in a previous life, always really cool stories about being sailors or princesses or whatever, nobody ever believes they were a filthy peasant. I was about eleven years old listening to this and completely absorbed. I asked them how I might know about my own past lives, and I guess I must have already been doubting a little bit before then, because the friend of ours said "what is this fascination with after life about hun?". I asked my mother about what happens after we die and how she knew, and to her credit she was honest enough to tell me "i don't know". That was the first many nights I would lay awake scared that nothing would happen when I die Sad .

Anyway, back on topic. Compared to christains wiccan beliefs are no more crazy, but they do tend to believe they have special powers which makes them a lot more interesting. I remember at one point there was concern a friend of ours had been cursed. Very exciting growing up! I haven't met any preachy wiccans, but then again I only really experienced it in a peripheral way.

Interesting note, my mother is a catholic now. She married into it just recently. I think secretly she is an atheist, based on conversations we have had previously, and her life long negative stance against the bible while I was growing up.
06-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I think the reason is because modern polytheistic religions are relatively benign compared with the three major monotheisms. The Abrahamic religions are inherently aggressive... probably due to their origins as a cult of the warrior god Yahweh.

But also I think Hinduism is probably the only major polytheistic religion proper that is widely practiced in the modern age. And in the West, its not so widespread, and certainly doesn't make much noise.

There are lots of small religions that are polytheistic... But I think Hinduism is the only one practiced by a significant number.

But perhaps its also because polytheism doesn't have the same totalitarian vibe...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
06-05-2014, 09:50 PM
(06-05-2014 09:32 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think the reason is because modern polytheistic religions are relatively benign compared with the three major monotheisms. The Abrahamic religions are inherently aggressive... probably due to their origins as a cult of the warrior god Yahweh.

But also I think Hinduism is probably the only major polytheistic religion proper that is widely practiced in the modern age. And in the West, its not so widespread, and certainly doesn't make much noise.

There are lots of small religions that are polytheistic... But I think Hinduism is the only one practiced by a significant number.

But perhaps its also because polytheism doesn't have the same totalitarian vibe...

Hobbitgirl used to be Wiccan. She might have some perspective.

The only personal experience I've had with polytheism was a couple Wiccans I knew in high school. They were a bit unhinged, but basically good people. My main issue with Wiccans is that they tend toward homeopathy and naturopathy and such nonsense, and many subscribe to anti-vax and other movements. But overall I think they're more misguided than malevolent.

Hinduism has been used to justify some awful shit though, like the Indian caste system.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
06-05-2014, 10:21 PM
(06-05-2014 09:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 09:32 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think the reason is because modern polytheistic religions are relatively benign compared with the three major monotheisms. The Abrahamic religions are inherently aggressive... probably due to their origins as a cult of the warrior god Yahweh.

Hobbitgirl used to be Wiccan. She might have some perspective.

The only personal experience I've had with polytheism was a couple Wiccans I knew in high school. They were a bit unhinged, but basically good people. My main issue with Wiccans is that they tend toward homeopathy and naturopathy and such nonsense, and many subscribe to anti-vax and other movements. But overall I think they're more misguided than malevolent.

Hinduism has been used to justify some awful shit though, like the Indian caste system.

Yeah, that caste thing is pretty awful...

And the wars and tense relations between India and Pakistan are driven by religious differences.

But, in the Western world, the Eastern religions aren't really heard of so much... So don't get as much flak.

But then, Christianity and Islam are such tempting targets... Laugh out load

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
They can actually be somewhat less crazy in that they don't claim their multiple gods are one person, and their gods tend to specialize rather than being omniscient and omnipotent.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
06-05-2014, 10:34 PM
I have yet to have a polytheist knock on my door to try to convert me. And I don't seem to remember stories of them having a lot of luck getting laws passed to force their beliefs on the general public.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 12:09 AM
(06-05-2014 10:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have yet to have a polytheist knock on my door to try to convert me. And I don't seem to remember stories of them having a lot of luck getting laws passed to force their beliefs on the general public.

This.

Either "not a concern" or "very low priority".
07-05-2014, 03:50 AM
Grr... must get the edit vs reply button straight or I double post instead of editing!
07-05-2014, 03:50 AM
(06-05-2014 10:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have yet to have a polytheist knock on my door to try to convert me.

Which is actually kind of odd, now that you mention it. If someone is going to go door-to-door in order to sell you a deity, you'd think they would at least have a decent selection of them to choose from. Consider
[+] 4 users Like djhall's post