Polytheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 07:19 AM
RE: Polytheists
(07-05-2014 03:50 AM)djhall Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 10:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have yet to have a polytheist knock on my door to try to convert me.

Which is actually kind of odd, now that you mention it. If someone is going to go door-to-door in order to sell you a deity, you'd think they would at least have a decent selection of them to choose from. Consider

I could possibly be enticed by a Thin Mint deity. Not so much on the Samoans, though.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
07-05-2014, 07:35 AM
As with the rest of you, I've yet to run into any who proselytize. So there's that in their favour.

Not that it doesn't seem like a bizarre waste of time. A modern polytheist is one who consciously chose to follow the faith they do. I have yet to hear an answer to "why" that is not staggeringly insufficient - but to be fair, that applies to choosing any religion at all.

Generally it falls along the lines of the politician's syllogism:
There is "something" divine/supernatural/unknowable which exists.
This (system of belief) is "something".
Therefore I will practise it.

Another thread, fortunately uncommon, is the uncomfortably nationalistic one, I suppose. Some Germanic and Slavic neopagans... that can't be healthy.

But I can, I think, appreciate some of the ritualistic aspects. Hindbrain loves a good hokey ritual from time to time. Which brings to mind the way some of the Chinese people I've known saw their traditional religion - avowedly and openly atheists, but treating some of the old ways not as something one believes but simply something one does. The same category "cultural Jews" fall into. Not that that quite applies to choosing to follow a (heavily modified!) set of practices from someone else from millennia ago.

tl;dr - I don't really get it but it seems mostly harmless.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
07-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Should be interesting to meet one.
07-05-2014, 09:21 AM
(06-05-2014 09:07 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  So are their number so few that no one cares? I really do not know what encounters people have had with them and it seems to me that they leave us alone.

Modern polytheism definitely has too few adherents - each of the gods needs a guardian organization. When the individual person compiles the knowledge of several of the gods they basically replicate the monotheist aspect of monotheism.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
07-05-2014, 09:22 AM
They are harmless, I believe. The Hellenists here don't bother anyone and they just do their stuff without causing any trouble. Their religion, surprisingly enough, makes much more sense than Christianity.

Plus, the rituals they perform from time to time around the Acropolis are pretty cool.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
07-05-2014, 11:36 AM
(07-05-2014 07:19 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:50 AM)djhall Wrote:  Which is actually kind of odd, now that you mention it. If someone is going to go door-to-door in order to sell you a deity, you'd think they would at least have a decent selection of them to choose from. Consider

I could possibly be enticed by a Thin Mint deity. Not so much on the Samoans, though.

But both are are better than a cracker deity. Which raises the question, how sure are we sure Jesus wasn't black? Red wine and dark chocolate would be a much better pairing than red wine and crackers.

I'm starting to think religions haven't given much thought to how to make their beliefs more palatable to non-believers.