Pompeii death casts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Pompeii death casts
Everyone on here has probably heard about how the ancient city of Pompeii was destroyed when Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 CE. But do you know about the death casts? These are casts made from the bodies of those who died in the catastrophe. Their forms were literally preserved inside the volcanic ash. Well, I was lucky enough to see a few examples today, along with the remains of people from a neighboring city that was also destroyed. You can see the pictures here:

http://ghostexorcist.deviantart.com/gallery/38532446

There were more than this, but these were the only pictures that turned out OK. The area was very dimly lit and no flashes were allowed.

Viewing them was a very sobering experience. You can see the pain and fear in their faces and bodies. The body of one dog is horribly contorted from the pain of being cooked alive. It upset my teenaged niece because it looked a lot like her dog.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
31-07-2012, 10:19 PM
RE: Pompeii death casts
Definitely very sobering to see these. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them in their last moments.
Find all posts by this user
31-07-2012, 10:43 PM
(31-07-2012 10:19 PM)SlipStitch Wrote:  Definitely very sobering to see these. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them in their last moments.

I find this one the most disturbing because it looks like he saw his death coming.

[Image: pompeiiexhibitcincinnat.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I remember seeing a Pompeii exhibition in London when I was probably too young to appreciate the horror of it. My lasting memory was of two "statues" lying together (spoons-like) and thinking how loving and peaceful they seemed.

01-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Saw the Pompeii Exhibition, along with the casts, in Melbourne a couple of years ago.
I agree the instantaneous deaths provides us all with a sobering reminder of our frailty as human beings.
The exhibit also showed old parts of taverns, brothels, and the grafitti,written about
such, so maybe all those years ago, they were not all that different from us. Confused
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
(01-08-2012 01:38 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Saw the Pompeii Exhibition, along with the casts, in Melbourne a couple of years ago.
I agree the instantaneous deaths provides us all with a sobering reminder of our frailty as human beings.
The exhibit also showed old parts of taverns, brothels, and the grafitti,written about
such, so maybe all those years ago, they were not all that different from us. Confused

The exhibition I went to wasn't that elaborate since my museum isn't that big. It had all sorts of pottery, statues, cooking vessels, jewelry, furniture, and frescoes, but no structures. Here is some of the graffiti:

[Image: pompeiiexhibitcincinnat.jpg]

It sort of reminds me of this film clip:

01-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Wow - that one guy sitting - he knew it was coming. Look how he's trying to keep the ash out of his mouth... he knows there's no where to go. Poor guy.

Pompeii and Herculaneum were both resort towns - lots of spas, restaurants, theaters, and brothels - all pretty elaborate. It's amazing the amount that's survived -entire cities, really… minus the people, of course. Pompeii is incredible because some of the bodies are almost perfect casts, at Herculaneum, they were buried instantly so they are just skeletons lying perfectly.

The remaining buildings are practically untouched and these were pretty impressive places to begin with ... think Las Vegas! So much of the archeology there has really told us so much about Roman life.
Here's an incredible mosaic from Herculaneum which I find just beautiful. Most things are pristine - time literally just stopped.
[Image: Herculaneum_Neptune_And_Amphitrite.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Little doggie is me curled up in eternal torment for my Gwynnies; evers. Heart

Which is to say it does not disturb me. I, however, tend to be kinda disturbing. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
(01-08-2012 10:42 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Little doggie is me curled up in eternal torment for my Gwynnies; evers. Heart

Which is to say it does not disturb me. I, however, tend to be kinda disturbing. Evil_monster

Nah...not disturbing, just disturbed. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post