Pop songs you hate that mention God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Pop songs you hate that mention God
Those stupid songs that come on the radio with a catchy hook that gets stuck in your head.

I've got:

God is watching us- Bette Midler.
God gave rock and roll to you- Kiss

Ughhh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Walluin's post
01-04-2017, 09:29 PM
RE: Pop songs you hate that mention God
I like to pretend that Carrie Underwood doesn't exist, and listen to this song instead.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
01-04-2017, 10:23 PM
It was years before I learned that this was not "Carry A Laser". I maintain that my lyrics make more sense.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
01-04-2017, 10:26 PM
The national anthem.
[+] 10 users Like earmuffs's post
01-04-2017, 10:30 PM
I don't know of any, because pop music is awful.

So here is a post-grunge song about religion that I like.

Bended knee
Nine years old
Waitin' for
Just one word!

I was thinkin' of all the things
My daddy told me of
Sin and salvation and
Manhood and dignity

All that time
In the dark
Just one word
Backslider!

I remember the day I stepped
Into the water
My daddy held me in his hands
And pushed my head under
And said

Son I am
So proud.
Just one word
Backslider!

Well I opened my eyes
And my daddy held me in his hands
I looked up through the water
And thought I saw Jesus, and then

Well I threw up my hands!
And I heard, Amen!
And I prayed, sweet Jesus
Don't let me become a backslider!

This song is about lead singer Todd Lewis' youth and growing up as a Southern Baptist. The term "backslider" is a colloquialism used by Christians to denote someone who is losing ground in their growth as a Christian.

In the documentary
Dark Secrets: The Stories of Rubberneck, Todd Lewis said, "'Backslider' was one of the last songs I wrote before recording Rubberneck but also one of the most revealing because it's about a personal experience. That song's about being a kid and being brought up in a religious household and just the anxiety and fear and sheer terror that that brought on. It was one of the earliest songs that I actually got into something really personal rather than writing a fictional story or just absolute spite."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5289

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-04-2017, 11:29 PM
(01-04-2017 10:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The national anthem.

Agreed. Australia still uses "God Save the Queen" for royal, vice-regal, defence and loyal toast occasions.

It includes the phrases; "God save our gracious Queen"; "God save The Queen"; "God save our land"; "God save us all".

Apparently while their god is "saving" all the well-off, educated, employed, white Anglo-Saxon stock, he's not concerned about saving the 16,000 children that die every day in sub-Saharan Africa. Even although most of them have Christian parents.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
02-04-2017, 04:55 AM
Ours mentions god too, hell it's actually called "God Defend New Zealand". Defend us from what?? we're Switzerland but with the added bonus of being an island far stretched from literally anything of value, Australia included.
This is the verse most communally sung (there's a long version but normally we just sing this verse in Maori and than sing it again in English).

"God of Nations at Thy feet,
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our free land.
Guard Pacific's triple star
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand."

I think it's just one of those things left over from old people times that noones really bothered to change.
Everyone knows it, nobody here gives a rats ass about God either way so it's not doing any harm so why change it? Maybe we'll change it when we become a Republic who knows.
We can't even agree to change our shitty fucking flag though simply because our Prime Minister at the time proposed it and everyone had something against the guy because it's "cool" to hate on the National party when you're poor or an ethnic minority apparently, based on absolutely nothing I might add.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-04-2017, 04:57 AM
Doesn't exactly get stuck in my head, because it's a straight-out crappy song, but I loathe "God Bless the USA."
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
02-04-2017, 05:27 AM
After Forever by Black Sabbath! That song and others from the ozzy era make me feel like I am in church being preached at!
02-04-2017, 06:53 AM
(01-04-2017 09:27 PM)Walluin Wrote:  Those stupid songs that come on the radio with a catchy hook that gets stuck in your head.

I've got:

God is watching us- Bette Midler.
God gave rock and roll to you- Kiss

Ughhh

I don't dislike songs just because they mention god; i either don't think about it or take it metaphorically. There are songs I like that mention god and plenty of crappy (but sometimes catchy) songs that don't. For me, crappiness is not related to godliness.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post