Pop songs you hate that mention God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Pop songs you hate that mention God
Why would that be, Girly dear? (Yeah, song is annoying as fuck, her voice – even more annoying, the lyrics – childish as another fuck, and the way she pronounces the word slave like the word Slav makes me want punch her)

There is a series, called Miracles, whose soundtrack mesmerised me when I watched it quite some time ago, especially the song called God is Now Here/God is Nowhere. Can’t be found online for love nor money (story of my life. The love and money bit. Especially one part Rolleyes )

If we’re gonna be asking god questions, how about this one (not in the bad one category for sure)?

I'm still young, but I know my days are numbered
1234567 and so on
But a time will come when these numbers have all ended
And all I've ever seen will be forgotten
Won't you come
To my funeral when my days are done
Life's not long
And so I hope when I am finally dead and gone
That you'll gather round when I am lowered into the ground
When my coffin is sealed and I'm safely 6 feet under
Perhaps my friends will see fit then to judge me
Oh when they pause to consider all my blunders
I hope they won't be too quick to begrudge me
If I should die before I wake up
I pray that the Lord my soul will take but
My body, my body, that's your job
I can't be sure where I'm headed after death
To heaven, hell, or beyond to that Great Vast
But if I can I would like to meet my Maker
There's one or two things I'd sure like to ask

And then this:

Old St. Pete's gonna serve me my pie in the sky
And I'll say "Pete, a side of ice cream, if you don't mind.
Thumbsup

Some folks say that life is just a veil of tears
Not me man I can't pack enough into these years
I don't care if it's spring summer winter or fall
Make no fuss about the seasons, 'cause I like 'em all

[CHORUS]
Here on earth I'll have my cake
Gonna eat it too, make no mistake
'Cause if it's a question of to be or not to be
I'll put on my boots and go see what I can see

My grandpa, well a good Christian life he led
Worked like a dog just to put a roof over his head
He said that when he died he'd get his reward
'Cause heaven's a place where you don't pay room & board

When I die, I hope I don't die too slow
But slow or quick, I hope heaven is the place I go
Old St. Pete's gonna serve me my pie in the sky
And I'll say "Pete, a side of ice cream, if you don't mind."

When I was at my most deluded I really like Blinded by Science. Facepalm

Um, apparently, it’s by Foreigner. God, was I stupid back then!

Paleophyte, that's hilarious!

I can only take religious music if it's really old - love the religious music of the Italian baroque (Benedetto Marcello's psalms are divine!), Gregorian chants, what have you. I draw the line at - after, really - the era of the original, early, delta/Mississippi blues. Those guys are the only ones I can listen to without cringing at the cheesiness of it all.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 03:52 PM
(02-04-2017 03:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  Why would that be, Girly dear?

I thought you liked this guy. Consider Might've been the other one.

[Image: butt_zpsulgdhzia.gif]

#sigh
02-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Dodgy

'Twas the other and 'twas ages ago. Hadn't seen an epi after the fifth season. Was a different person back then. Might still watch them, though, see how I like it now, but was not a fan of the lady who "inherited" it from Kripke, tbh...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
02-04-2017, 07:43 PM
(02-04-2017 01:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 04:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think it's just one of those things left over from old people times that noones really bothered to change.
Everyone knows it, nobody here gives a rats ass about God either way so it's not doing any harm so why change it? Maybe we'll change it when we become a Republic who knows.
We can't even agree to change our shitty fucking flag though simply because our Prime Minister at the time proposed it and everyone had something against the guy because it's "cool" to hate on the National party when you're poor or an ethnic minority apparently, based on absolutely nothing I might add.
Well, actually, the change of flag was entirely meaningless. We still are in the British Commonweath and so it is appropriate to have the union jack in our flag. It would have just been an excercise of extravagance on John Key so he could brag that he changed the flag. Utterly meaningless.

But changing that god awful national anthem would be something to behold. They should get Shihad to give it a ramp up.

It wasn't meaningless. Not at all. Our current one is dated (to say the least) and it is by far the right time to change it. We should have done it decades ago like the Canadians. There was no reason NOT to change it. This is exactly what I'm talking about, everyone had such a fucking cry simply because they thought it would John Keys legacy and they had grief with the guy for some reason.
Fuck John Key, it had nothing to do with John Key and who even gives a fuck if it was his legacy??? Like seriously, so fucking what!? Huh Stevil? So fucking what.

And if we changed the anthem Shihad would not be the one to do it, you just know Dave Dobbyn would be all over that shit. Not that there's anything wrong with Dave-o (I think he'd do a really good job actually), I'm just saying.
02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
(02-04-2017 07:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It wasn't meaningless. Not at all. Our current one is dated (to say the least)
I don't care about fashion, need a far bigger reason that "it is dated".

Getting rid of our ties to the British and getting rid of the treaty of Waitangi would be a terrific reason.

Not some whim.

(02-04-2017 07:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And if we changed the anthem Shihad would not be the one to do it, you just know Dave Dobbyn would be all over that shit. Not that there's anything wrong with Dave-o (I think he'd do a really good job actually), I'm just saying.
Dave is good an all, but Shihad is just miles better.
Don't really want some Lorde thing, don't really want some cheesy thing that sounds like everyone else's anthem either. Shihad are the boys for the job!

03-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Quote:I don't care about fashion, need a far bigger reason that "it is dated".

Getting rid of our ties to the British and getting rid of the treaty of Waitangi would be a terrific reason.

Not some whim.

We have gotten rid of our ties to Britain, we started doing that at the end of WW2, that's the whole point in the new flag. We are not a colony any more there is no reason we should still be sporting a colonial flag. We conduct our own diplomacy, we go to war based on if WE want to or not. We voice our opinion on the global scale and influence change.
We are for all purpose an independent nation. The only ties we have to England is that the Queen is our Sovereign, but that's the same for all Commonwealth countries. And the Governor General only has power in theory and would never actually use it.

There is a distinct difference between where we are now as a country and where we were as a country pre-ww2. And we should have a flag that represents a more modern New Zealand and not stick to this dated one. Call it patriotism, nationalism, pride whatever. National unity. It's about time we had a symbol that represented ALL New Zealanders. Not a colonial flag representing British colonialism and not a flag that represents only Maori and their history. A flag that represents ALL NEW ZEALANDERS. That's why we should have changed and these idiot Maori, the ones most 'discriminated against' by our current flag pushed against it hard simply because they didn't like John Key, it was so fucking retarded and made zero sense.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-04-2017, 02:02 PM
(02-04-2017 06:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Counting Blue Cars by Dishwalla....

"Tell me all your thoughts on God, cuz I really want to meet her"...........

Edit to add.

Shit..

Just saw its " hate"

I actually like that song.....

DOH!!!!
I love how they drop the "her" with such force in the song like it's so sacreligious

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
The word God is at the very bottom of my list of reasons why I hate this song.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-04-2017, 04:34 AM
I always thought that this bloke was..... uh..... God.

[Image: tumblr_m4xbjg1Xp11qmhggvo1_500.jpg]

Let the voice of reason shine,
Let the pious vanish for all times,
God's face is, hidden, all unseen,
You can't ask him what it all means
He was never on your side,
God was never on your side
Let right or wrong, alone decide,
God was never on your side.

Bowing

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-04-2017, 01:22 PM
(01-04-2017 09:27 PM)Walluin Wrote:  Those stupid songs that come on the radio with a catchy hook that gets stuck in your head.

I've got:

God is watching us- Bette Midler.
God gave rock and roll to you- Kiss

Ughhh

I can't think of any pop songs that I hate that mention God. In fact I find it difficult to think of many that I hate at all. There I plenty that I like that mention god(s). For example,
Bob Dylan With God on Our Side,
Sparks Thank God It's Not Christmas,
The Velvet Underground Venus in Furs,
David Bowie God Knows I'm Good,
George Harrison My Sweet Lord,
and Fleetwood Mac Oh Well
(lyrics: Now when I talk to God you know he understands
He said stick by me and I'll be your guidin' hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to.)

Of course it might be different if I listened to pop songs on the radio, but BBC Radio Four doesn't broadcast any regularly.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi