Pop songs you hate that mention God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2017, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 12:53 PM by beeglez.)
RE: Pop songs you hate that mention God
The inclusion of the word "God" doesn't impact my enjoyment of a song. I even like old gospel songs because of the music and vocal, despite the lyrics. There was a husband/wife duo who sang gospel hymns. They were named Joey and Rory Feek. Joey died of cancer a year or so ago, and I learned of her when friends posted her videos. She had an absolutely beautiful voice, and she radiated joy when singing. Also, she and her husband clearly adored each other.

Here she is singing an old gospel song. The music was about the only thing I liked about the church services I was forced to attend as a child. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=192W0bhJNEg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 07:34 AM
(02-04-2017 04:57 AM)julep Wrote:  Doesn't exactly get stuck in my head, because it's a straight-out crappy song, but I loathe "God Bless the USA."

Agreed. That song is the worst!
08-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Pop songs you hate that mention God
(01-04-2017 10:23 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It was years before I learned that this was not "Carry A Laser". I maintain that my lyrics make more sense.

LOL! Carry a Laser. I never thought of that but is sounds just like it. Thanks for allowing me to enjoy this song again.
08-04-2017, 12:32 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-04-2017, 09:50 AM
I've always adored the song "Let's Get Together" by the Youngbloods (originally recorded by the Kingston Trio), although it has a distinct religious vibe in the second verse:

Quote:When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2017, 10:50 PM
......Well this is one that I LIKE.

Jesus Christ by U2

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
18-04-2017, 07:47 AM
It really annoyed me that Shakira's song for the 2010 football world cup "wakawaka" brought god into it. I hated the silly song anyway, but why bring god, in fact ALL gods into it?

"Listen to your god
This is our motto"

So it doesn't matter WHICH god, just listen to it because.......????
25-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Again here are songs that I like and are good music, too.

Best Friend - Yelawolf ft. Eminem

Kyrie- Mister Mister

The phrase 'Kyrie Elision' means 'God be with you'.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
26-04-2017, 12:19 PM
(02-04-2017 04:57 AM)julep Wrote:  Doesn't exactly get stuck in my head, because it's a straight-out crappy song, but I loathe "God Bless the USA."

I hate it because Lee Greenwood has been milking that thing for over 30 years now, and it's pretty much his only song anyone likes or even knows he sings. I often wonder is his concerts nothing but this song about 15 times in a row?
27-04-2017, 07:10 PM
(01-04-2017 10:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The national anthem.

Well I'll be damned.

I was going to say that our (US) national anthem doesn't mention God, but it does, in one of the verses that nobody remembers.

Of course, it also mentions rockets, bombs, war, havoc, gloom, the grave, conquering, and desolation, so I guess it kind of balances out. Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."