Pop songs you hate to admit you once liked a little even though they mention God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Pop songs you hate to admit you once liked a little even though they mention God
Gentle reader don't judge me to harshly, but when I was just a tyke (and a fervent xtian still) I remember liking the sound of this. It does not make me proud.

Blush

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: Pop songs you hate to admit you once liked a little even though they mention God

This ... And STILL love it!

Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
08-04-2017, 02:26 PM
RE: Pop songs you hate to admit you once liked a little even though they mention God

And this ... An absolute gem of a pop song!

[+] 4 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
08-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Doesn't mention God but does talk about praying hard (and the songwriter is a Christian), and I'm sure it's cheesy, but I like this song. More than a little.

[+] 2 users Like julep's post
08-04-2017, 02:41 PM
The whole pop/rock musicians mentioning God doesn't really bother me if I'm honest. If it did, it would just get in the way of some great tunes.

I draw the line at Preachy though ... and love a good anti-god song! Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
08-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Okay then. Here's one I still like too. I like that it co-opts the terminology and points out how un-xtian the standard interpretation really is. Oh I think his voice is easy to listen too.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
08-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I thought I had the perfect one, but it turns out it was nothing but a Freudian slip.

I always remembered dave dee dozy beaky mick & tich singing God bless the loos of England, but it's only Long Live ...

Guess even the 60ies weren't redy for what I remembered. Here's one that definetely fits the bill.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
08-04-2017, 04:54 PM
This wasn't really a pop song but I always liked the "Amen" song in the movie, Lilies of the Field with Sidney Poitier. He isn't singing this, someone else did the singing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-04-2017, 05:28 PM
(08-04-2017 04:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This wasn't really a pop song but I always liked the "Amen" song in the movie, Lilies of the Field with Sidney Poitier. He isn't singing this, someone else did the singing.

The arrangement is by Jester Hairston, who was later a featured actor on a sitcom called "Amen."
08-04-2017, 07:05 PM

When this song came out my CCD teachers went nuts playing it. Still a fun song.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post