Pope: Better an Atheist than an hypocritical-catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 09:20 PM by Shadow Fox.)
Pope: Better an Atheist than an hypocritical-catholic
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-suggests...50834.html

Quote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis delivered another criticism of some members of his own Church on Thursday, suggesting it is better to be an atheist than one of "many" Catholics who he said lead a hypocritical double life.

ONWARD MY ATHEIST BRETHREN! ONWARD TO THE COMMENTS SECTION!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2017, 10:08 PM
RE: Pope: Better an Atheist than an hypocritical-catholic
(26-02-2017 08:09 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-suggests...50834.html

Quote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis delivered another criticism of some members of his own Church on Thursday, suggesting it is better to be an atheist than one of "many" Catholics who he said lead a hypocritical double life.

ONWARD MY ATHEIST BRETHREN! ONWARD TO THE COMMENTS SECTION!

Better an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic.

Fixed.
27-02-2017, 12:39 AM
(26-02-2017 08:09 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

So does Il Papa include the 7% of Catholic paedophile priests in Australia? Aren't they leading a hypocritical double life. Or is he still apparently happy to ignore the actions of his own staff? Frankie himself is the ultimate hypocrite IMHO.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-02-2017, 01:12 AM
(27-02-2017 12:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 08:09 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

So does Il Papa include the 7% of Catholic paedophile priests in Australia? Aren't they leading a hypocritical double life. Or is he still apparently happy to ignore the actions of his own staff? Frankie himself is the ultimate hypocrite IMHO.

He's not a hypocrite by their own standards. All you need is a few Hail Mary's and the promise to never do it again, and you're absolved of all wrongdoing; even if you're a serial child molester. To condemn them would be to cast into doubt the church's own ability to forgive sins on behalf of their god. These days anybody who is literate can read the Bible and ask Jesus themselves for forgiveness, cutting out the middle-man; but that's all the Catholic Church is, middle-men. Everything they are stems from them inserting themselves between people and their imaginary friend, and they cannot do anything that might threaten that relationship; even if that means shuffling around the world's largest army of child molesters instead of handing them over to civil authorities. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-02-2017, 02:33 AM
What's being an atheist got to do with this? The implication seems to be that a Catholic is, by default, better than an atheist. Fuck off.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
27-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Just FYI, there was already another thread about this.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
27-02-2017, 04:16 PM
(27-02-2017 02:33 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  What's being an atheist got to do with this? The implication seems to be that a Catholic is, by default, better than an atheist. Fuck off.

I read it differently. That's not to say, he's got a big point, but he seems to say that being an atheist is better than being a lip service catholic.
27-02-2017, 05:40 PM
(27-02-2017 04:16 PM)abaris Wrote:  I read it differently. That's not to say, he's got a big point, but he seems to say that being an atheist is better than being a lip service catholic.
I read it as being a lip service Catholic is worse than being an atheist. The Pope is explaining just how bad lip-service-only is.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
27-02-2017, 10:24 PM
(27-02-2017 05:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:16 PM)abaris Wrote:  I read it differently. That's not to say, he's got a big point, but he seems to say that being an atheist is better than being a lip service catholic.
I read it as being a lip service Catholic is worse than being an atheist. The Pope is explaining just how bad lip-service-only is.

And using us as the standard of awful that he is measuring it against.

Joy. Dodgy
28-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Well, that's the thing. Why say atheist? Why not say non-Catholic? Or just say they are bad people? Saying they are worse than atheists (or atheists are better, same thing) seems to be using us as a yardstick. What is it supposed to imply? How "good" does he think atheists are? Not as good as Catholics, would be the answer, I feel.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post