Pope Francis battles Santa Muerte

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Pope Francis battles Santa Muerte
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/pope-fra...ath-saint/

When Pope Francis arrives in Mexico for a five-day visit on Friday, he will find a country where devotion to Santa Muerte is growing fast despite the Vatican’s rejection of the figure as blasphemous.
But the Church is losing the battle against the Death Saint, which is famous for being worshipped by drug cartels but is followed by a wider sector of Mexican society, from the poor to blue-collar workers, police, doctors and teachers.

Journalists are “always looking for criminals but they never find them,” Vargas said before leading a mass-like ceremony in which people stood, kneeled and invoked the Death Saint while also reciting “The Lord’s Prayer” of Christian faith.

Uhmmmmm, yeah. Or something. It is fascinating to see how this religious bizarness is spreading.

----
As they held the sleepy three-month-old child, a priestess sprinkled holy water infused with rose petals on her in front of 300 people under a 22-meter (72-foot) statue of the Grim Reaper-like “Santa Muerte” in a Mexico City suburb.

72 foot tall stature? Is Mexico going crazy?

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
20-07-2017, 06:48 PM
RE: Pope Francis battles Santa Muerte
Worshiping the personification of death as a saint? Clearly the Pope would should admonish anyone who would do something so silly!

So anyway, let's get back to eating the body of Christ and chanting to magical beads like rational human beings.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 11 users Like TSG's post
20-07-2017, 10:24 PM
(20-07-2017 06:43 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  As they held the sleepy three-month-old child, a priestess sprinkled holy water infused with rose petals on her in front of 300 people under a 22-meter (72-foot) statue of the Grim Reaper-like “Santa Muerte” in a Mexico City suburb.

All I've got to say about that is...THAT'S THE COOLEST FREAKING THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!

Actually I would say: I wonder if it has a lot to do with being authentic to Mexico. People are attracted to their own bullshit, if I was Mexican (and of course this is socioeconomic and cultural too) I can see myself being more drawn to home-grown Day of the Dead iconography and lore than some imported crap (I suppose we could say they prefer domestic bier). I suppose the Catholic purists in Mexico have always had to be on guard against local cults, leftover Aztec stuff, etc.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
20-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Pope Francis is also battling his predecessor.
There (were four), are now 3 "Dubia" cardinals, who question(ed) his ideas.
One of the 4 recently died, and the letter Pope Ratty sent to Cologne was *interesting*.

http://onepeterfive.com/pope-benedicts-m...on-church/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-07-2017, 02:17 AM
So leader of superstitious cult that majors on worship of executed Middle-Eastern guy lectures locals about superstitious worship of "death saint".

Makes sense....................Consider

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
21-07-2017, 02:23 AM
Worshipping death as a saint??
That might have some serious consequences in the future as there people bound to turn extremist in that too.

Which leads me to wonder why it is that we hear and see a lot of religion and excesses of it lately? People being disappointed in main religions, seeking alternatives? people being disappointed with society and seeking alternatives? People completely losing it and seeking salvation?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2017, 06:17 AM
(21-07-2017 02:23 AM)Ron NL-S Wrote:  Which leads me to wonder why it is that we hear and see a lot of religion and excesses of it lately?

Lately? Religion and it's excesses has been ever present in world life - from crusades to 30 years war, from Soviet state religion to Tokio subway sarin attack.

Quote:People being disappointed in main religions, seeking alternatives? people being disappointed with society and seeking alternatives? People completely losing it and seeking salvation?

Or people being people. Creating new religious movements isn't something extraordinary. Otherwise christianity would not have approximately 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
21-07-2017, 07:50 AM
(21-07-2017 02:23 AM)Ron NL-S Wrote:  ...

Which leads me to wonder why it is that we hear and see a lot of religion and excesses of it lately? People being disappointed in main religions, seeking alternatives? people being disappointed with society and seeking alternatives? People completely losing it and seeking salvation?

Personally, I think that increasing religious extremism is the result of a rise in cognitive dissonance among believers caused by the global spread of knowledge, especially scientific.

The harder and more accepted the evidence against their beliefs, the greater the perceived threat, the greater the urge to desperately cling to those beliefs and entrench them into their psyche.

I also like to think it's always darkest before the dawn Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 4 users Like Reducetarian's post
21-07-2017, 09:55 AM
(21-07-2017 07:50 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I also like to think it's always darkest before the dawn Smile

And it really does feel like a race to see which side wins and we're close to a tipping point one way or the other. At least it feels that way to me (I'm biased 'cause I'm living at this moment in time) and it feels like we're losing. The lights seem to be going out throughout Europe, and here in the US there's no shortage of illiberalism and intolerance.

21-07-2017, 10:15 AM
(21-07-2017 09:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 07:50 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I also like to think it's always darkest before the dawn Smile

And it really does feel like a race to see which side wins and we're close to a tipping point one way or the other. At least it feels that way to me (I'm biased 'cause I'm living at this moment in time) and it feels like we're losing. The lights seem to be going out throughout Europe, and here in the US there's no shortage of illiberalism and intolerance.

I respectfully disagree: the lights are NOT going out throughout Europe. If you look at the way these cultures have adapted to massive changes in values and mores over the past 50 years, including increased secularization and internationalization, these nations, particularly in northern Europe, have made light-years of progress.

The fact that so many desperate people are trying to immigrate to these countries, rather than fleeing them, is proof of their success.

And contrary to the right-wing talking points, these immigrants are not trying to change the countries to which they are immigrating. They are mostly looking for what every decent person is searching for: a peaceful, tolerant society that offers their children a chance to succeed in life. In the meantime, to help them cope with all the strangeness of their displacement, they are seeking individuals like themselves who can help them adapt to their new environment.

They are also doing their best to adapt to the increasing rate of technological change, as are we all, but they are often starting from less familiarity, which doesn't help.

The tipping point occurred with the invention of the transistor, and the advent of the PC. The world is just experiencing the inevitable growing pains of the information age.

The race, if there is one, is to see who can adapt the quickest.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post