Pope Francis is starting to scare the shit outta Girly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: Pope Francis is starting to scare the shit outta Girly
(17-12-2014 07:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 09:09 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Quite so! No good committing some atrocity and then saying " "God told me to do it".
Conscience needs to be based on our best secular reasonings.

Of course, for Francis, and for religious believers as a whole there's a belief that the conscious has a moral direction, pointing towards the good and upright, revealing to us our duty and obligations of being human, to love our neighbors, etc...

So it's essence it's still God told us to do it, but God's voice, is present in that voice of our consciousness.

Which is both learned and genetic. Morality does not come from the gods. Any of them. And you have provided nothing, (per your usual) to support you assumptions, assertions and generalizations. As a matter of fact many do NOT buy that shit at all. Many who come here say they were evil UNTIL they were "borm again", which refutes your nonsense. If what you say were true, there would be no need for "salvation", would there ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 08:22 AM
It's also very impressive how Gods voice changes over generation after generation for centuries... and even from pope to pope Gods voice begins to change. Even when we have two popes.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-12-2014, 08:35 AM
(17-12-2014 08:22 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's also very impressive how Gods voice changes over generation after generation for centuries... and even from pope to pope Gods voice begins to change. Even when we have two popes.

That would be an interesting question, has the voice we associate with consciousness, changed from centuries to centuries. I'm not sure what the answer would be. We'd probably have to look into literature from throughout history to navigate how this concept of "listening to one's conscious" was understand, and what direction it conveyed.

I know that there's are plenty of people who claim to have justified there actions with their conscious, when the say their conscious is clear. But I don't know of any examples of people who claim to have been directed to seemingly immoral actions, who state their conscious directed them to act in such away. In fact we sometimes even refer to those who behave in such monstrous and evil ways, as not having a conscious.
17-12-2014, 09:13 AM
(17-12-2014 08:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 08:22 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's also very impressive how Gods voice changes over generation after generation for centuries... and even from pope to pope Gods voice begins to change. Even when we have two popes.

That would be an interesting question, has the voice we associate with consciousness, changed from centuries to centuries. I'm not sure what the answer would be. We'd probably have to look into literature from throughout history to navigate how this concept of "listening to one's conscious" was understand, and what direction it conveyed.

I know that there's are plenty of people who claim to have justified there actions with their conscious, when the say their conscious is clear. But I don't know of any examples of people who claim to have been directed to seemingly immoral actions, who state their conscious directed them to act in such away. In fact we sometimes even refer to those who behave in such monstrous and evil ways, as not having a conscious.

History abounds with people whose consciences directed their despicable acts.

How about the Abbot of Citeaux Arnaud Amalric:
"When they discovered, from the admissions of some of them, that there were Catholics mingled with the heretics they said to the abbot “Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.” The abbot, like the others, was afraid that many, in fear of death, would pretend to be Catholics, and after their departure, would return to their heresy, and is said to have replied “Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius - Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His” (2 Tim. ii. 19) and so countless number in that town were slain"

You really need to get out more. Like to a library.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2014, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 10:06 AM by Tomasia.)
(17-12-2014 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 08:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That would be an interesting question, has the voice we associate with consciousness, changed from centuries to centuries. I'm not sure what the answer would be. We'd probably have to look into literature from throughout history to navigate how this concept of "listening to one's conscious" was understand, and what direction it conveyed.

History abounds with people whose consciences directed their despicable acts.

How about the Abbot of Citeaux Arnaud Amalric:
"When they discovered, from the admissions of some of them, that there were Catholics mingled with the heretics they said to the abbot “Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.” The abbot, like the others, was afraid that many, in fear of death, would pretend to be Catholics, and after their departure, would return to their heresy, and is said to have replied “Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius - Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His” (2 Tim. ii. 19) and so countless number in that town were slain"

You really need to get out more. Like to a library.

And this example, doesn't have anyone claiming their conscious told them to kill them all.

When I search for historic examples, of folks speaking of conscious, they all seem to believe it has a direction, that points toward compassion, unselfishness.

""To move from one unselfish action to another with God in mind. Only there, delight and stillness ... the only rewards of our existence here are an unstained character and unselfish acts” -Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius

"when the mind is face to face with the Truth, a self-luminous spark of thought is revealed at the inner core of ourselves and, by analogy, all reality.”-Buddha

“Conscience thus manifests in Buddhism as unselfish love for all living beings which gradually intensifies and awakens to a purer awareness”

What I'm trying to get it, is not that consciousness give us clear moral prescriptive, but rather conveys a moral direction even if that direction is merely to be compassionate, to be selfless, even if those believing this behave in ways unfulfilling of this direction.

Looking through historical references on such, this does appear to be the case. It's hard to find references of people speaking of their consciousness as directed them to other sorts of things. Though there may be appeals to other factors in order to reconcile themselves to their conscious, to "clear it" as is often put.
23-12-2014, 03:40 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world...lzheimers/

He's not scaring me, but I am scared for him.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Hippie gonna die.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-12-2014, 04:38 PM
(23-12-2014 04:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hippie gonna die.

I'm afraid so. The only good thing is when he was elected, he moved into the house with the Jesuits, and out of the Papal apartments. So it won't be as easy to get to him as it was to JP I.

05-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Good news! You no longer need to be scared. Smile

He's just like the rest of the fucking popes.

Pope Endorses Referendum Denying Marriage And Adoption Rights To Same-Sex Couples

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2015, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 09:04 AM by Bucky Ball.)
So ... turns out Catholics can get divorced and remarry. Just call it something else. "Annulment". Pay $600.00 and an uncontested annulment is a certainty.

It's a "Year of Mercy", doncha know. Like in other years their god is a bitch ?
The mind is boggled by the crap that flows from Mother Church.

[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post