Pope confronts reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Pope confronts reality
The Vatican Invites World's Leading Scientists To Discuss Cosmology

Interesting to have a Pope who seems to be trying to bring the Church into the 21st century.
I wish him luck dodging Church conservatives, who, given that he can't be impeached, would probably like to burn him at the stake.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
11-05-2017, 02:02 AM
RE: Pope confronts reality
Wow! That's good... I think.

The new Catholic stance seems to be following scientists around holding a sign saying, "Yes, but God did it that way". It's ludicrous, but at least it allows them to be more correctly aligned with reality. It's almost approaching deism now in that regard, which is the only version of theism consistent with reality. I'll take what I can get where religion is concerned.

My answer would be, "God is a complete idiot then, given the power he's supposed to have and the goals you describe".

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 02:27 AM
ENTER NAME OF CREATION: Humans

START WITH HUMANS IN PLAY?: No

WAIT HOW MANY TIME UNITS (recommend 1-100)?: 13,000,000,000

PERCENTAGE OF TIME HUMANS WILL EXISTS (recommend 90-95)?: 0

PERCENTAGE OF ENVIRONMENT INHABITABLE BY HUMANS (recommend 90-95)?: 0

EXTRA NOTES: I want them to kill each other over what book I wrote, and I want them to shit everywhere

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?: I'm mysterious

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 03:09 AM
I wonder what Catholics in general think of their new Pope? As much as he's a representative for an archaic institution, if he can turn the RCC into basically the Church of England it'll be a huge positive step I think.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-05-2017, 01:42 PM
(11-05-2017 03:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  I wonder what Catholics in general think of their new Pope? As much as he's a representative for an archaic institution, if he can turn the RCC into basically the Church of England it'll be a huge positive step I think.

The American Catholics I know are mostly "progressive", and they seem to like him.
Other's, not so much:

http://theweek.com/articles/685573/why-c...ncis-fraud

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
27-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Never forget the days when Holy Mother Church was in power. The only reason she's so tolerant today is because she, like a wounded and cornered beast, has no choice.

No
[+] 3 users Like neurotibotical's post
27-05-2017, 02:53 PM
(27-05-2017 08:20 AM)neurotibotical Wrote:  Never forget the days when Holy Mother Church was in power. The only reason she's so tolerant today is because she, like a wounded and cornered beast, has no choice.
So tolerant aren't words that I would use to describe church chance. Pope want to stay at least somewhat relevant so he try to dress religious idiocy in respectable clothes but truth still can be seen - god still is out there, he just had more refined methods.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-05-2017, 03:11 PM
(10-05-2017 02:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I wish him luck dodging Church conservatives, who, given that he can't be impeached, would probably like to burn him at the stake.

He's over 80 by now with the majority of cardinals still being appointed by his predecessors. He won't break the walls and they can just sit it out to elect one of their own to be the next one. Apart from the fact that he's trying to move the church into the 20th century. The 21st is still far, far away.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
27-05-2017, 07:26 PM
(27-05-2017 03:11 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 02:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I wish him luck dodging Church conservatives, who, given that he can't be impeached, would probably like to burn him at the stake.

He's over 80 by now with the majority of cardinals still being appointed by his predecessors. He won't break the walls and they can just sit it out to elect one of their own to be the next one. Apart from the fact that he's trying to move the church into the 20th century. The 21st is still far, far away.

> “It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money──for many nature can be a church. Some of the best people in the world did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name.” (Pope Francis) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post