Pope says evolution is true

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 06:25 AM
RE: Pope says evolution is true
(28-10-2014 04:54 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  No.

Bullshit. You don't get to do that.

Tell me, Mr. Pope, if evolution is true, why does your holy book simply say God plopped two fully formed humans in the garden, and then never mentions them changing? Oh, that's a metaphor now? So, so is sin then? So Jesus wasn't needed? So your whole religion just fell into pieces?

Well I guess that settles it. Turn in your funny hat and some people will be by in a few days to figure out how many starving people they can feed with all that gold of yours.
Quote:Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.

Oh, good, I was just waiting for confirmation from the old guy who probably hasn't touched a science text book since he was eighteen.

Hey now, the Pope is infallible ain't he?

Bibal don't matter if Popy says it don't.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 06:43 AM
(29-10-2014 06:25 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey now, the Pope is infallible ain't he?

Technically the Papal infallibility is only in order when he speaks ex cathedra, that is as universal shepherd of the Church, (episcopus servus servorum Dei). So only when he defines new dogmas and similar things.

Now, I am not sure this is such a case though. Consider

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
29-10-2014, 07:11 AM
(29-10-2014 06:43 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:25 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey now, the Pope is infallible ain't he?

Technically the Papal infallibility is only in order when he speaks ex cathedra, that is as universal shepherd of the Church, (episcopus servus servorum Dei). So only when he defines new dogmas and similar things.

Catholics are too wacky for me to get a handle on... Sometimes Popy is infallible, sometimes he's not, sometimes he's a monarch, sometimes he's not; now stop asking questions and come be a Cannibal for Christ, just never mind the total lack of any real blood in the wine which totally is the blood of Christ...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Tole ya so.
This pewp is the Anti-Christ.

The end is nigh. Be very afraid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-10-2014, 10:31 AM
(28-10-2014 04:54 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Tell me, Mr. Pope, if evolution is true, why does your holy book simply say God plopped two fully formed humans in the garden, and then never mentions them changing? Oh, that's a metaphor now? So, so is sin then? So Jesus wasn't needed? So your whole religion just fell into pieces?

When I was a Catholic, it was explained to me that evolution is true and is merely the mechanism by which gawd created humans. As for creation, we weren't supposed to take it literally. It was just supposed to tell us that gawd was the one who created everything, not literally how gawd did so. That was supposed to be the nature of inspiring the bible authors - the heart of the messages come from gawd while the details about how to present the messages come from the writers.

Of course I never saw all the problems that result from that - like how you know which parts are "the message" and which parts "the presentation" - until I became an atheist.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-10-2014, 11:46 AM
(29-10-2014 07:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:43 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Technically the Papal infallibility is only in order when he speaks ex cathedra, that is as universal shepherd of the Church, (episcopus servus servorum Dei). So only when he defines new dogmas and similar things.

Catholics are too wacky for me to get a handle on... Sometimes Popy is infallible, sometimes he's not, sometimes he's a monarch, sometimes he's not; now stop asking questions and come be a Cannibal for Christ, just never mind the total lack of any real blood in the wine which totally is the blood of Christ...

Yeah, and they say our fondness for BBQ baby (human) ribs is bizarre huh?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-10-2014, 01:23 AM
(28-10-2014 04:54 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Tell me, Mr. Pope, if evolution is true, why does your holy book simply say God plopped two fully formed humans in the garden, and then never mentions them changing? Oh, that's a metaphor now? So, so is sin then? So Jesus wasn't needed? So your whole religion just fell into pieces?

You're confusing catholics with fundie evangelicals, they don't share the same views on atonement.
30-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Not a surprise since it is the official stance of the catholic church and has been for a long time. The church was anti-science way back when, but currently they are far more pro-science than many other denominations, especially when compared to the fundies. I am a former catholic. The problem you run into with catholic is they do not know the churches pro-science position on things like evolution, etc..
30-10-2014, 01:07 PM
(30-10-2014 01:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

You're confusing catholics with fundie evangelicals, they don't share the same views on atonement.

I thought the stupid Jesus story was one of the few things all the little sects had in common?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
31-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Can't these pricks see the stupidity of papal infallibility?

What is the truth if every pope contradicts the last one?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user