Pope says "great majority" of Catholic marriages are "null"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Pope says "great majority" of Catholic marriages are "null"
pope link

Quote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis has said the "great majority" of Catholic marriages being celebrated today are invalid because couples do not fully realize it is a lifetime commitment, drawing sharp criticism from Church conservatives.

The pope, who has come under fire before for making spontaneous comments about doctrinal matters, was speaking at a question-and-answer session with priests, nuns and parish workers on Thursday night in a Rome basilica.

"We are living in a provisional culture," Francis said in response to a man who spoke of "the crisis of marriage" and asked how the Church could better prepare young couples.

"Because of this, a great majority of our sacramental marriages are null because they (the couple) say 'yes, for the rest of my life' but they don't know what they are saying because they have a different culture," Francis said.

In the Vatican's transcript issued on Friday morning his words were changed to read "some" instead of "a great majority". A Vatican spokesman said the pope's off-the-cuff remarks are sometimes edited after consulting with him or among aides.

Every time this man opens his mouth, I lose more respect for him.

Nothing like invalidating relationships across the board.

Fucking idiot.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-06-2016, 08:08 AM
RE: Pope says "great majority" of Catholic marriages are "null"
The super pope is the only trustable one.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-06-2016, 08:48 AM
why does the man who supposedly has a direct link to god need to have his words editted? i guess god mumbles a lot. he should really speak up since hes talking to a fucking fossil.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
17-06-2016, 08:51 AM
(17-06-2016 08:02 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  pope link

Quote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis has said the "great majority" of Catholic marriages being celebrated today are invalid because couples do not fully realize it is a lifetime commitment, drawing sharp criticism from Church conservatives.

The pope, who has come under fire before for making spontaneous comments about doctrinal matters, was speaking at a question-and-answer session with priests, nuns and parish workers on Thursday night in a Rome basilica.

"We are living in a provisional culture," Francis said in response to a man who spoke of "the crisis of marriage" and asked how the Church could better prepare young couples.

"Because of this, a great majority of our sacramental marriages are null because they (the couple) say 'yes, for the rest of my life' but they don't know what they are saying because they have a different culture," Francis said.

In the Vatican's transcript issued on Friday morning his words were changed to read "some" instead of "a great majority". A Vatican spokesman said the pope's off-the-cuff remarks are sometimes edited after consulting with him or among aides.

Fucking idiot.

i lose respect for anyone who believes that dusty sack of bones has magical powers. they deserve to have their marriages anulled.
17-06-2016, 09:21 AM
(17-06-2016 08:02 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  pope link

Fucking idiot.

Huh

I don't think he's saying that.

I think a lot people do get married for the wrong reasons -- the rate of divorce kinda supports it.

I can't imagine why anyone that is essentially divorced from the church and the idea of god would give a crap what the guy says anyway.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Marriage in a church is performed with permission of the state, anyway. At least that's what my marriage certificate says. Not in so many words, but to the effect that the "marriage is in accordance with the laws of the State of California". The "sanctified" part of it, the RCC can keep to themselves.
17-06-2016, 09:33 AM
(17-06-2016 09:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Huh

I think a lot people do get married for the wrong reasons -- the rate of divorce kinda supports it.

I can't imagine why anyone that is essentially divorced from the church and the idea of god would give a crap what the guy says anyway.

I was RC and my wife still is. While I am no longer RC, his words, policies and actions do affect me, in two ways. First, my wife is still a practicing catholic. Second he is accorded a great deal of respect and influence in many areas, including political, religious and secular.

I don't see his statement and actually changing doctrine, but more as yet another slap in the face. This time he's not criticizing the secular world, but his own people who aren't up to standards.

ETA:
I don't see this as "invalidating" marriages, like ending them or annulling them. I see it as more self serving sanctimonious weaseling. In other words, yes catholics get divorced, but they weren't the real catholics. with real marriages.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-06-2016, 10:18 AM
(17-06-2016 09:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 09:21 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Huh

I was RC and my wife still is. While I am no longer RC, his words, policies and actions do affect me, in two ways. First, my wife is still a practicing catholic. Second he is accorded a great deal of respect and influence in many areas, including political, religious and secular.

I don't see his statement and actually changing doctrine, but more as yet another slap in the face. This time he's not criticizing the secular world, but his own people who aren't up to standards.

ETA:
I don't see this as "invalidating" marriages, like ending them or annulling them. I see it as more self serving sanctimonious weaseling. In other words, yes catholics get divorced, but they weren't the real catholics. with real marriages.

I was a Roman Catholic too, as are my man and his family (Italian). He sometimes struggles with his disbelief (his mother is far more agnostic these days than he is).

I just didn't read his (the pope) remarks the same way -- it was more like someone is acknowledging that times have changed and the view of marriage has changed. Didn't he also refuse to condemn couples living together without the benefit of marriage?

The Catholic Church is a good one for not acknowledging that times have changed at all.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 10:23 AM
(17-06-2016 10:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was a Roman Catholic too, as are my man and his family (Italian). He sometimes struggles with his disbelief (his mother is far more agnostic these days than he is).

Eh, maybe I'm just whining. Big Grin

I tend to assume the worst when he comes on the news...

17-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Perhaps he meant to say "dull", but how would he know? Hobo

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.