• 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: Pope says "great majority" of Catholic marriages are "null"
Replace "null" with "dull".

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2016, 04:32 PM
(17-06-2016 10:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was a Roman Catholic too, as are my man and his family (Italian). He sometimes struggles with his disbelief (his mother is far more agnostic these days than he is).

I just didn't read his (the pope) remarks the same way -- it was more like someone is acknowledging that times have changed and the view of marriage has changed. Didn't he also refuse to condemn couples living together without the benefit of marriage?

The Catholic Church is a good one for not acknowledging that times have changed at all.

I read it much the same way, that and in a way, I find it to be a bit of self censure of the Church not doing it's job, as far as marriage prep goes. Francis has done a bit to make Annulments easier to get, and I feel like this is an extension of that, aimed at the Tribunals who don't want to hand them over. Sort of a, "It's not the laity's fault if their marriage is invalid in the eyes of the Church, when we didn't do what we could to help or stop things when we should have" deal. But that's just my own interpretation of it.

When in RCIA, I remember before leaving early/late* on the Annulment and Divorce night, the priest had a story of the first marriage he officiated. The Pre-Cana counseling sessions had a few red flags, but he was sure the couple would work it out, who doesn't have a few bumps in the road and all that. Then the bride showed up to the wedding with the smell of alcohol on her breath, but sober. He technically should have canceled the wedding on them as being invalid in the eyes of the Church, given the will was impaired and the red flags had been there, but didn't. Later, the couple got divorced and annulled, and he felt awful for performing the marriage ceremony.

*We ran way over the normal 3 hours as I was the only one not there for marriage or remarriage purposes. At the 4 or 5 hour mark I asked to leave; the class apparently went on well into the night.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2016, 05:13 PM
(17-06-2016 04:32 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 10:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was a Roman Catholic too, as are my man and his family (Italian). He sometimes struggles with his disbelief (his mother is far more agnostic these days than he is).

I just didn't read his (the pope) remarks the same way -- it was more like someone is acknowledging that times have changed and the view of marriage has changed. Didn't he also refuse to condemn couples living together without the benefit of marriage?

The Catholic Church is a good one for not acknowledging that times have changed at all.

I read it much the same way, that and in a way, I find it to be a bit of self censure of the Church not doing it's job, as far as marriage prep goes. Francis has done a bit to make Annulments easier to get, and I feel like this is an extension of that, aimed at the Tribunals who don't want to hand them over. Sort of a, "It's not the laity's fault if their marriage is invalid in the eyes of the Church, when we didn't do what we could to help or stop things when we should have" deal. But that's just my own interpretation of it.

When in RCIA, I remember before leaving early/late* on the Annulment and Divorce night, the priest had a story of the first marriage he officiated. The Pre-Cana counseling sessions had a few red flags, but he was sure the couple would work it out, who doesn't have a few bumps in the road and all that. Then the bride showed up to the wedding with the smell of alcohol on her breath, but sober. He technically should have canceled the wedding on them as being invalid in the eyes of the Church, given the will was impaired and the red flags had been there, but didn't. Later, the couple got divorced and annulled, and he felt awful for performing the marriage ceremony.

*We ran way over the normal 3 hours as I was the only one not there for marriage or remarriage purposes. At the 4 or 5 hour mark I asked to leave; the class apparently went on well into the night.

I fail to see how marital advice from a Roman Catholic priest is at all credible or relevant.

I said the same to my RC fiancée when we were going through it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-06-2016, 06:05 PM
(17-06-2016 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I fail to see how marital advice from a Roman Catholic priest is at all credible or relevant.

I remember saying something fairly close to that when we did the classes. Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-06-2016, 06:15 PM
(17-06-2016 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 04:32 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I read it much the same way, that and in a way, I find it to be a bit of self censure of the Church not doing it's job, as far as marriage prep goes. Francis has done a bit to make Annulments easier to get, and I feel like this is an extension of that, aimed at the Tribunals who don't want to hand them over. Sort of a, "It's not the laity's fault if their marriage is invalid in the eyes of the Church, when we didn't do what we could to help or stop things when we should have" deal. But that's just my own interpretation of it.

I fail to see how marital advice from a Roman Catholic priest is at all credible or relevant.

I remember barely taking the classes. I do recall we had to take a personality test. Which we failed miserably. Laugh out load the priest found our results 'disturbing.'

The problem was that I answered many questions the way I thought my man would answer. I think he did the same. We had a wonderful laugh later failing the test.

28 years of marriage. So I'd say the priest was completely wrong in his assessment that our marriage had less than 30% chance of success.

Big Grin Cool

Oddly enough friends we knew who got married around the time we had, got divorced a year later and they had an 80% chance of success according to the test. Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 06:48 PM
(17-06-2016 08:02 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  pope link

Quote:VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis has said the "great majority" of Catholic marriages being celebrated today are invalid because couples do not fully realize it is a lifetime commitment, drawing sharp criticism from Church conservatives.

The pope, who has come under fire before for making spontaneous comments about doctrinal matters, was speaking at a question-and-answer session with priests, nuns and parish workers on Thursday night in a Rome basilica.

"We are living in a provisional culture," Francis said in response to a man who spoke of "the crisis of marriage" and asked how the Church could better prepare young couples.

"Because of this, a great majority of our sacramental marriages are null because they (the couple) say 'yes, for the rest of my life' but they don't know what they are saying because they have a different culture," Francis said.

In the Vatican's transcript issued on Friday morning his words were changed to read "some" instead of "a great majority". A Vatican spokesman said the pope's off-the-cuff remarks are sometimes edited after consulting with him or among aides.

Every time this man opens his mouth, I lose more respect for him.

Nothing like invalidating relationships across the board.

Fucking idiot.

You see, the mistake you made here is that you had respect for a pope.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Bwahahahaha... so the 30 year marriage between this atheist and a good Catholic girl is not null because we knew there was nothing provisional about it. ..., Check and mate Pope.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post