Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/fe...l-catholic

Also, Pope confirms atheists are 'good people' if they do 'good things'.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2017, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 09:42 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic
I should send that to my parents. What I don’t get is if you are a lapsed Catholic turned atheist doesn’t that by default make you a bad Catholic? Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-02-2017, 10:41 AM
That's about right as far as it goes. I wonder how he thinks atheists stack up against good Catholics.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
24-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Nonono, he didn't say it's "better." He is just using the hypothetical words of other hypothetical people who might hypothetically say that it's better, and then implying that he agrees with the deeper meaning behind that hypothetical statement; that is to say that it's not actually better, but it only seems better. The betterment is an illusion, because it's really better to be Catholic, even when it seems like it isn't because it actually is because atheism is bad. Okay? Geez Laugh out load
https://churchpop.com/2017/02/23/no-pope...-catholic/

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
24-02-2017, 10:44 AM
A nun teaching her new class of students had them line up, come up introduce themselves and tell her what they wanted to be when they grew up.

One little girl came up - and quietly gave her name and told the nun her aspirations -- which caused the nun to faint dead away.....

The Mother Superior was summoned, and came in just as the nun was beginning to come back to consciousness...

"What did that child say??" asked the dazed nun.. The Mother Superior demanded "Speak up child - what did you say to the poor sister, to cause her to faint??"

"I told her I wanted to be a prostitute" was the reply.....

"OOhhhhhh" said the nun "I thought she said a Protestant".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Quote:Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic

Fixed that for him.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
24-02-2017, 10:52 AM
(24-02-2017 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A nun teaching her new class of students had them line up, come up introduce themselves and tell her what they wanted to be when they grew up.

One little girl came up - and quietly gave her name and told the nun her aspirations -- which caused the nun to faint dead away.....

The Mother Superior was summoned, and came in just as the nun was beginning to come back to consciousness...

"What did that child say??" asked the dazed nun.. The Mother Superior demanded "Speak up child - what did you say to the poor sister, to cause her to faint??"

"I told her I wanted to be a prostitute" was the reply.....

"OOhhhhhh" said the nun "I thought she said a Protestant".....

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadThumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
24-02-2017, 10:57 AM
I don't agree that he's saying it's better to be an atheist. He's just saying that the "bad" Catholics are driving people away from the church (also he seems to assert that all people turned off by Catholic bad behavior are going to become atheists, rather than Episcopalians or Hindus or Baptists--quite a leap, IMO).

While the Pope has commented that atheists can be "good" people--good enough to work with Catholics on human rights and social justice issues, at any rate--he hasn't said anything to contradict the Catholic doctrine that all atheists are headed for hell.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
24-02-2017, 11:05 AM
(24-02-2017 10:41 AM)whateverist Wrote:  That's about right as far as it goes. I wonder how he thinks atheists stack up against good Catholics.

I don't have the exact numbers right now, but there's that Gallup poll on religion. In my country it's something like 59 percent declaring themselves to be non religious, but at the same time the church stats show there are 63, or something like that, percent of Roman Catholics. That obviously doesn't add up. There's obviously a lot of nons among catholics.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
24-02-2017, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2017 11:49 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Nothing new here.
The Roman C position has always said that a person acting honestly according to their conscience (albeit a "properly formed" one) was not damned.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post