Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 11:26 AM
RE: Pope says it's better to be atheist than a bad Catholic
This Pope seems to be king of saying things that sound more open-minded (if one doesn't think very hard), but in fact don't change a damn thing. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
24-02-2017, 12:17 PM
I don't really have anything to add to the Pope's statement. But I did actually get kicked out of a Catholic church once. Not long after I came on the Fire Dept one of the Captains that I really liked worked for a Catholic church in the city. The church was built in the early 1900's and is beautiful inside. The ceiling of the church is about 50' tall and lit with approximately 500 lightbulbs of which about half were burnt out. He asked a few of us if we would come help change the lightbulbs by doing a "church raise" with a 50' Bangor Ladder. We said "sure". He should have known better to ask me and my best friend (since we are both atheist) but he did anyway which he soon regretted.

We had changed about half of the lightbulbs and broke for lunch. While we were taking a break my friend and I were sitting at the front of this huge altar where they perform the human sacrifices. In the middle of the altar was a small door and behind that door was a small curtain. Behind the curtain was the communion wine and crackers. So we did what any normal stupid person would do. I got on my knees and my friend fed me the crackers in front of the altar. It was about this time that the Priest walked in. Apparently the Priest is the only one that is allowed to touch the communion and I certainly didn't have a good excuse for doing what I was doing. So I said the first thing that came to mind... "Well... Jesus needs some salt in his diet because these crackers are bland as hell". Our work was done for the day and for some reason I've not been invited back?

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
24-02-2017, 12:24 PM
(24-02-2017 10:57 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't agree that he's saying it's better to be an atheist. He's just saying that the "bad" Catholics are driving people away from the church (also he seems to assert that all people turned off by Catholic bad behavior are going to become atheists, rather than Episcopalians or Hindus or Baptists--quite a leap, IMO).

While the Pope has commented that atheists can be "good" people--good enough to work with Catholics on human rights and social justice issues, at any rate--he hasn't said anything to contradict the Catholic doctrine that all atheists are headed for hell.

Pretty much this, though not entirely sure if I agree on how big a leap it is. Then again, I don't have hard data, just personal anecdotes, so that doesn't really help my case. For a lot of ex-Mormons and ex-Catholics, being told you're in the "one true church" and then leaving also tends to be a leaving from God as a whole. At least sometimes. (That and further anecdotal bias...at least three former people from the Catholic site I modded on, said the Catholics there are why they became atheists.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2017, 12:32 PM
(24-02-2017 12:24 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For a lot of ex-Mormons and ex-Catholics, being told you're in the "one true church" and then leaving also tends to be a leaving from God as a whole.

I still remember the day when I turned my back on Catholicism for good. Not that I was a very religious person ever, but this was at a Catholic crossroads display of all places. It was smack in the woods, very quiet and I had the habit to retreat there when I wanted to be alone with my thoughts. I looked at the displays and suddenly I thought, this is all too simplistic.

But I didn't turn from any god concept that day. Just from catholicism. I tried my luck with deism for a few years, believing in an all neutral higher force. But one day it dawned on me that worshipping a neutral deity doesn't amount to anything. If it was indeed neutral, it wouldn't care one way or the other if I worshipped or not.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
24-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Quote:I don't agree that he's saying it's better to be an atheist. He's just saying that the "bad" Catholics

I just wish he thought that "bad catholics" were the ones who were butt-fucking altar boys and not some schmoe who misses mass.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!