Pope says priests can forgive abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Pope says priests can forgive abortion
Article

What's the point? I thought priests could forgive anything via confession. Are there really limits to what priests can forgive? If so, how do priests know what they can forgive vs. not? Moreover, isn't it really gawd who forgives and priests are more like a medium channeling that forgiveness anyway? And certainly gawd can forgive anything. I can't believe I once bought into this crap. Francis is just towing the line trying not to lose parishioners by appearing to slacken the noose on abortion while doing nothing at all. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Pope says priests can forgive abortion
Beat me to it.

My ‘favorite’ part is this:

Because the Roman Catholic Church holds abortion to be such a serious sin, it was long a matter for a bishop who could either hear the woman’s confession himself or delegate that to a priest who was expert in such situations.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/11/....html?_r=0

In what fucked-up world is a priest an expert on abortion situations? [Image: cKf4cE0.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-11-2016, 09:54 AM
(21-11-2016 09:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Article

What's the point? I thought priests could forgive anything via confession. Are there really limits to what priests can forgive? If so, how do priests know what they can forgive vs. not? Moreover, isn't it really gawd who forgives and priests are more like a medium channeling that forgiveness anyway? And certainly gawd can forgive anything. I can't believe I once bought into this crap. Francis is just towing the line trying not to lose parishioners by appearing to slacken the noose on abortion while doing nothing at all. Dodgy

Because women are being told they're not welcome in church because of that..then they leave the church. They don't want them to leave the church.

It's that simple.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Too bad these fools never even read their own catechism, (or took Moral Theology).
It's not even a mortal sin, UNLESS the three requirements are met.

1. Grave matter,
2. Full knowledge
3. Full/deliberate consent.

Their god is THE ONLY one that can judge #2 and #3.
Not a priest, not the Pope, not nobody. ONLY God.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-11-2016, 10:05 AM
The pope for vice president! We'll have a more secular government! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-11-2016, 10:30 AM
This article goes back a year because this all started when Francis granted priests the ability to absolve abortion sin for the Year of Mercy. But it makes this even more stupid sounding.

Quote:The issue here is not the sin itself, but the excommunication, and who can lift it. In the Code of Canon Law that power is reserved to a bishop - unless, as in the United States, he has chosen to extend this authority to his priests.

In parts of the world where that power had not been granted, the priest would have forgiven the repentant sinner immediately and then have asked the penitent to return at a later time; during that interval the confessor would have secured his bishop’s permission to lift the canonical penalty. (Anonymity, of course, would have been honored, with the identity of the penitent never disclosed.)
So priests have always had the ability to grant absolution for abortion which means Francis' extension of that right today is meaningless. If the point is for women not to be excommunicated, he should be saying something about that.

Also, he is saying that the forgiveness extends to all people involved in the abortion process. Huh? Those people haven't gone to confession and aren't "truly sorry" for their "sin" as are supposed to be required. What utter nonsense from this "infallible" Pope. Facepalm

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
21-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Isn't Christianity all about forgiving sinners if you "accept Jesus in your heart" and all that crap?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-11-2016, 10:46 AM
(21-11-2016 10:41 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Isn't Christianity all about forgiving sinners if you "accept Jesus in your heart" and all that crap?
Protestants are all about that but them catholics need you to talk to a guy in a big hat for forgiveness.

This just means then can go to a lesser hat man for the task the bible says you can have a rabbi do for you anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Plus priests can refuse absolution if they believe you aren't sincerely sorry. For example, if you repeatedly confess at different times to the same sin and don't seem to be making an effort to stop the sin... even though priests aren't supposed to be able to tell who they are talking with in the confessional... Dodgy

21-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Have they forgiven themselves yet for the rape (and subsequent coverup) of many, many underage children?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]