Popular science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Popular science?
A while back I read three books on science that were fun and hopefully not horribly wrong. The Science of Discworld. Awesome stuff. They were accessible and funny. I think of them as a great starting point for anyone wanting to know about physics, time travel/multiverse theory, and evolution. Buuut I'm poor. I can't really afford to go out buying books (so when someone says in an arguement 'go read X by Y' the discussion is over as I can't AFFORD to go read that, and my life makes libraries all but impossible) so I can't fault anyone else for not reading them either.

Anyone have some good online links for the casual person so I can read them and also so I can point others there? My search-fu is weak, that's why I ask here. I'm hoping for something accessible and, if possible, at least mildly entertaining.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Popular science?
I would suggest following some of the science content on youtube. Some of it is quite good.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
You might be interested in this blog: http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

The person behind it seems scientifically literate, and there's nothing that seems objectionable about them. The blog presents hypothetical scenarios, and then tries to scientifically explain what would happen and why. The scenarios are out there and fun and cover all disciplines, and the explanations of "what would happen" seem scientific.
[+] 4 users Like PoolBoyG's post
09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Ahem. Yea, we're full service forum. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
If you like podcasts, I absolutely love skeptics guide to the universe. Thumbsup each show is about an hour and a half, they talk about current science topics, as well as the latest in skepticism and pseudoscience.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Wow! I love you guys! And not in the creepy religious 'I want to save you so I'll smack you upside the head' way but more in the creepy follow you around like a puppy fanboy stalker way!!! ... .... Uhm... perhaps I should just say ' thank you all for the info' and leave it at that...
10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
(09-12-2013 04:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If you like podcasts, I absolutely love skeptics guide to the universe. Thumbsup each show is about an hour and a half, they talk about current science topics, as well as the latest in skepticism and pseudoscience.

"Truth or fiction" ftw Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
(10-12-2013 06:04 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 04:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If you like podcasts, I absolutely love skeptics guide to the universe. Thumbsup each show is about an hour and a half, they talk about current science topics, as well as the latest in skepticism and pseudoscience.

"Truth or fiction" ftw Wink

Science or fiction? Or is that a new podcast for me to try? Laugh out load what to make sure Wink if you meant the science or fiction segment, love it!!
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-12-2013, 06:02 PM

There's also The Guardian's Science Weekly podcast. Current and comprehensible for the lay-scientist.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM
(09-12-2013 07:06 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  A while back I read three books on science that were fun and hopefully not horribly wrong. The Science of Discworld. Awesome stuff. They were accessible and funny. I think of them as a great starting point for anyone wanting to know about physics, time travel/multiverse theory, and evolution. Buuut I'm poor. I can't really afford to go out buying books (so when someone says in an arguement 'go read X by Y' the discussion is over as I can't AFFORD to go read that, and my life makes libraries all but impossible) so I can't fault anyone else for not reading them either.

Anyone have some good online links for the casual person so I can read them and also so I can point others there? My search-fu is weak, that's why I ask here. I'm hoping for something accessible and, if possible, at least mildly entertaining.
The best podcast I've ever heard is RadioLab. It's professional documentary storytelling of science... I mean, Skeptic's guide to the universe is a guaranteed quality, it's a show with regular segments and competitions - mostly it resembles a fun Sunday mass for atheists Smile But RadioLab is a work of art.

By the way, sometimes you can borrow some books at https://openlibrary.org/, all you need is to register a copy of Adobe Digital Editions. Of course there are websites like bookfi where you can find sample pages to help you decide if you really buy something.