Popular science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 08:11 PM
RE: Popular science?
Try Scribd. I just found a free PDF copy of one of my favorite books on deep human history called Before the Dawn (2006) by Nicholas Wade.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/160876868/Before-the-Dawn
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 11:00 PM
(12-12-2013 07:41 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:06 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  A while back I read three books on science that were fun and hopefully not horribly wrong. The Science of Discworld. Awesome stuff. They were accessible and funny. I think of them as a great starting point for anyone wanting to know about physics, time travel/multiverse theory, and evolution. Buuut I'm poor. I can't really afford to go out buying books (so when someone says in an arguement 'go read X by Y' the discussion is over as I can't AFFORD to go read that, and my life makes libraries all but impossible) so I can't fault anyone else for not reading them either.

Anyone have some good online links for the casual person so I can read them and also so I can point others there? My search-fu is weak, that's why I ask here. I'm hoping for something accessible and, if possible, at least mildly entertaining.
The best podcast I've ever heard is RadioLab. It's professional documentary storytelling of science... I mean, Skeptic's guide to the universe is a guaranteed quality, it's a show with regular segments and competitions - mostly it resembles a fun Sunday mass for atheists Smile But RadioLab is a work of art.

By the way, sometimes you can borrow some books at https://openlibrary.org/, all you need is to register a copy of Adobe Digital Editions. Of course there are websites like bookfi where you can find sample pages to help you decide if you really buy something.

I LOVE radiolab, I just got hooked. They have some religious undertones though sometimes, and one episode I just listened to was completely religious... Justifying the story of Abraham and sodom & Gomorrah, but otherwise FANTASTIC!!
Find all posts by this user
15-12-2013, 12:41 PM
How does one's life make using a library impossible?
Find all posts by this user