Popularity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Popularity?
I did an article for my blog on about popularity at my school. Most might not care, but I'm going to link it here anyways. If you feel so inclined, tell me what you think.

https://pointsoftwo.wordpress.com/2015/0...servation/

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-08-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: Popularity?
(02-08-2015 04:12 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I did an article for my blog on about popularity at my school. Most might not care, but I'm going to link it here anyways. If you feel so inclined, tell me what you think.

https://pointsoftwo.wordpress.com/2015/0...servation/

You are so popular that the Chinese are blocking you. Well Done.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
02-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Good insights there Ato.

I also went to Catholic schools but I started in the 6th grade after a move. Groups were pretty much carved out by then since the majority of the kids I went to school with grew up together.

I noted that many were 'popular' because of who their parents were (their economic status) and, if applicable, who their older siblings were and what group they were in...seemed to be a strong legacy effect at work good or bad.

The Breakfast Club is a movie that really reminds me of the strict boundaries between groups. It's too bad that many people miss out on really good people around them because they are worried about keeping the group they have found themselves in. It's rare to find someone in the 'in' crowd dating someone in the 'out' crowed. Often the only time a cool kid was around a not cool kid was if they grew up as neighbors or there was some family tie. Then it was outside of school and school activities.

I don't seem to recall anyone who wasn't already in the 'popular' group being able to earn a spot unless they were seriously dating someone already there.

I am kind of sad to hear that things are much the same after all these years. I had hoped that there would one day be more crossover between the cliques.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-08-2015, 08:16 PM
I had an advantage in high school, I got to see and experience both sides of the picture, though I wouldn't have classified myself as "popular".

I was essentially friends with everyone, I had no real enemies and kind of just drifted from clique to clique depending on what activity was happening. It helped that it was a small town so everyone knew everyone, but there were the popular and unpopular kids the same as anywhere else. I played sports, but excelled in band and choir.

I was invited to all the popular parties, but I also started smoking weed in high school so a lot of the time I hung out with the less desirable types. My passion was music though, so my best friends were the metal heads. We had our own clique, we were known as the weird kids, nobody knew quite what to make of us. We didn't really "fit in" anywhere, but we were all the nicest guys you could ask for so we didn't catch much shit from anyone and the only time we made a stir it was just to be hilarious.

I had a blast in school (from what I remember, I definitely had an angry adolescence that I might be repressing Dodgy ), but again it was different in a small town. I can understand how it would be harder in a larger place and that many more kids to deal with.

Good read, Ato. Sorry you had to experience the cruelty that is popularity first hand. I had my share of those experiences in one way or another at times, you've got a good head on your shoulders though, one day you'll be able to look back and appreciate what it taught you, trust me. Because of my unique time, I can say that I know what that's like from both sides of the situation. There are things I did or participated in that I wish I could go back and redo, there are things I wish I could have seen coming (and in retrospect should have).

It's all part of growing up, the main thing is what you take from it as you grow. Keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily end after school. Those lessons apply to a lifetime.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
02-08-2015, 08:21 PM
I was unpopular. Nerd mcnerdster. I'm proud of it now. Harder to appreciate then.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
02-08-2015, 08:23 PM
I was unpopular, socially inept, and creeped people out in a matter that made them say things like "Be careful, it's always the quiet guys." I took pride in that. I was also on the water polo team, which probably didn't give me any cool points. And the few fights I was in, though I won, it happened in private and the details never really came out, which kind of added to the creepy guy reputation. I like to think they still talk about me, but I'm probably just being arrogant.

At any rate, well written article Smile I can tell you like to over analyze things. I have that characteristic as well.

'Murican Canadian
02-08-2015, 08:33 PM
I hated high school. It was a miasma of conformity that punished individual thought, and I was too dumb to keep my mouth shut. Fights on the football field, until I quit the team in my sophomore year, stoners who thought that reading a book was a travesty, a bunch of kids who thought they knew jack-shit when they'd never crossed the county line trying to talk down to someone who'd lived on the other side of the world --

High school, to me, was a special kind of hell. I gritted my teeth and bore it, but I have never looked back.
02-08-2015, 08:41 PM
(02-08-2015 08:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I hated high school. It was a miasma of conformity that punished individual thought, and I was too dumb to keep my mouth shut. Fights on the football field, until I quit the team in my sophomore year, stoners who thought that reading a book was a travesty, a bunch of kids who thought they knew jack-shit when they'd never crossed the county line trying to talk down to someone who'd lived on the other side of the world --

High school, to me, was a special kind of hell. I gritted my teeth and bore it, but I have never looked back.

Yes, this!

Funny though as the hippie types I hung out with were much more likely to read a book when compared to the popular kids. In fact, I am not sure some of them could read.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-08-2015, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:23 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(02-08-2015 08:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I hated high school. It was a miasma of conformity that punished individual thought, and I was too dumb to keep my mouth shut. Fights on the football field, until I quit the team in my sophomore year, stoners who thought that reading a book was a travesty, a bunch of kids who thought they knew jack-shit when they'd never crossed the county line trying to talk down to someone who'd lived on the other side of the world --

Yes, this!

Funny though as the hippie types I hung out with were much more likely to read a book when compared to the popular kids. In fact, I am not sure some of them could read.

My friends, the outcasts, we read like the dickens, Tolkien, Zelazny, Sagan, me into history reading Shirer and Toland, and the fantastic discussions we had on what we called "the Grassy Knoll", where we hung out where we could espy the office but they couldn't see us, were great. The fact that we usually had a cigarette or two and occasionally a nice bomber circulating was cool, too.

That very small circle of friends helped me through such a crappy time. But the 99.99% of the school, if it fell into a fire, I'd have lighted a cigarette.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-08-2015, 12:33 AM
All of my friends were cheerleaders (except me). It just did not appeal to me in the least. I wrote for the school newspaper, ran track, danced, and played field hockey. I always kind of did my own thing and was never much for following the crowd.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post