Popularity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: Popularity?
(03-08-2015 09:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I moved around a lot as a boy, and lived for four years in Asia, so coming back to America at 12 and attending jr high and high school with kids who hadn't been beyond the county line was pretty frustrating. I'd always been a little on the shy side, so that tendency was exacerbated on our return. The only year I enjoyed in high school was my junior year -- we'd moved to SoCal from the Central California sticks, I started my first garage band, landed my first job, and moved out so I could finish my schooling in Cali as my mom was moving to Tennessee. That was when I started coming out of my shell, but similar to Yak above, Basic Training was what taught me much about dealing with others, because you had exactly zero solitude.

It was when the division commander walked into the shower room and ordered us to get into the pushup position and go just far enough down to make our penises stand at attention on the shower floor until we learned the importance of showering faster and not making too much noise while doing so that I realized... I might have to actually get comfortable around these people Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
03-08-2015, 09:18 AM
(03-08-2015 09:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I moved around a lot as a boy, and lived for four years in Asia, so coming back to America at 12 and attending jr high and high school with kids who hadn't been beyond the county line was pretty frustrating. I'd always been a little on the shy side, so that tendency was exacerbated on our return. The only year I enjoyed in high school was my junior year -- we'd moved to SoCal from the Central California sticks, I started my first garage band, landed my first job, and moved out so I could finish my schooling in Cali as my mom was moving to Tennessee. That was when I started coming out of my shell, but similar to Yak above, Basic Training was what taught me much about dealing with others, because you had exactly zero solitude.

You've had an interesting life too! Mine was so boring compared to you guys! I grew up in an affluent town with a bunch of snobs. I hated it! I could not wait to get out of there. My mom still lives that type of lifestyle and can't understand why I would rather be "living as a bohemian" in a shoebox apartment in the city.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-08-2015, 09:41 AM
(03-08-2015 09:15 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

It was when the division commander walked into the shower room and ordered us to get into the pushup position and go just far enough down to make our penises stand at attention on the shower floor until we learned the importance of showering faster and not making too much noise while doing so that I realized... I might have to actually get comfortable around these people Tongue

That's another book I'd buy Thumbsup Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
(02-08-2015 04:12 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I did an article for my blog on about popularity at my school. Most might not care, but I'm going to link it here anyways. If you feel so inclined, tell me what you think.

https://pointsoftwo.wordpress.com/2015/0...servation/

Some criticisms:

- After the tenth "dear reader" it gets kind of annoying, nor does the seventh iteration make it anymore clever.

-Don't imagine that people are "secretly" envious of you.

- Don't imagine or wait for a world ordered in a way more favorable to you, it will never come. There's no need to resent the world, or protest the unfair order that it's molded in, because no one will listen, and it will all just hum on the way it always has.

- Stop worrying so much about popularity, and unpopularity. Stop vying for the company of folks that don't accept you for you are, and start enjoying the company of those that do, even if they are deemed "unpopular".

- Rarely ever is that sense of inadequacy, those insecurities, that desire to be liked/loved rooted in the situations that appear at the forefront, but perhaps even more deep rooted than that, perhaps more at the family level, the lack of love from one's parent/s etc... A persons scars and resenments tend to run much deeper than they appear. In a blink of an eye HS will be over, but those underlying things will continue to exist.

Though I barely know you, you seem like a nice kid, but one, like most kids your age, still trying to find themselves. You have a long road ahead of you before you ever do that. It would likely require more painful introspection to figure that part out.
03-08-2015, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 09:34 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(03-08-2015 09:18 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

You've had an interesting life too! Mine was so boring compared to you guys! I grew up in an affluent town with a bunch of snobs. I hated it! I could not wait to get out of there. My mom still lives that type of lifestyle and can't understand why I would rather be "living as a bohemian" in a shoebox apartment in the city.

A comfortable life is nice regarding basic needs, but good food for the body should be accompanied by good food for the mind, y'know? If I had the money, I'd live the traveling life, because being outside your comfort zone in unfamiliar surroundings, you learn not only about other folks and how they live, you also learn a hell of a lot about yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
(03-08-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 04:12 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I did an article for my blog on about popularity at my school. Most might not care, but I'm going to link it here anyways. If you feel so inclined, tell me what you think.

https://pointsoftwo.wordpress.com/2015/0...servation/

Some criticisms:

- After the tenth "dear reader" it gets kind of annoying, nor does the seventh iteration make it anymore clever.

Fair enough.

Quote:-Don't imagine that people are "secretly" envious of you.
I don't remember ever saying that others are "secretly" envious of me.

Quote:- Don't imagine or wait for a world ordered in a way more favorable to you, it will never come. There's no need to resent the world, or protest the unfair order that it's molded in, because no one will listen, and it will all just hum on the way it always has.

Resentful isn't exactly the idea. Mainly the post was to 1) Point out that there is a problem. 2). Get another perspective that allows for a more well balanced view. 3). Point out hypocrisy, and to tell others to practice what they preach. 4). To point out that those that are popular do have some power, and that the power can be used for good and bad, and that it is important how you use it. 5.) To make my final point, that those that are unpopular are just like those that are.

Quote:- Stop worrying so much about popularity, and unpopularity. Stop vying for the company of folks that don't accept you for you are, and start enjoying the company of those that do, even if they are deemed "unpopular".

I think you are making assumptions here. I do enjoy the company of my friends, who tend to be unpopular. I didn't even try to be popular, in fact I actively went against the system and the image of popularity because I disliked the system. The reason why I wrote about it was for the benefit of others.

Quote:- Rarely ever is that sense of inadequacy, those insecurities, that desire to be liked/loved rooted in the situations that appear at the forefront, but perhaps even more deep rooted than that, perhaps more at the family level, the lack of love from one's parent/s etc... A persons scars and resenments tend to run much deeper than they appear. In a blink of an eye HS will be over, but those underlying things will continue to exist.

Care to elaborate on what you mean?

Quote:Though I barely know you, you seem like a nice kid, but one, like most kids your age, still trying to find themselves. You have a long road ahead of you before you ever do that. It would likely require more painful introspection to figure that part out.

I don't think that I am lost as you might imagine me to be.

Thank you for taking the time to read it.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
04-08-2015, 07:08 AM
(03-08-2015 08:21 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I don't remember ever saying that others are "secretly" envious of me.

I apologize I read it wrong.

Quote:I think you are making assumptions here.

I guess I did make too many assumptions, since you don't seem to agree with them, than I'll just take it that I was wrong.
04-08-2015, 09:01 AM
(03-08-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  - Rarely ever is that sense of inadequacy, those insecurities, that desire to be liked/loved rooted in the situations that appear at the forefront, but perhaps even more deep rooted than that, perhaps more at the family level, the lack of love from one's parent/s etc...

Ha, that sounds like you are thinking in German. English grammar doesn't support that sort of thought. You need to break it down into several small units to avoid making it too confusing to read.

I guess English is not really a very good language for complicated thoughts.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-08-2015, 01:15 PM
(04-08-2015 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  - Rarely ever is that sense of inadequacy, those insecurities, that desire to be liked/loved rooted in the situations that appear at the forefront, but perhaps even more deep rooted than that, perhaps more at the family level, the lack of love from one's parent/s etc...

Ha, that sounds like you are thinking in German. English grammar doesn't support that sort of thought. You need to break it down into several small units to avoid making it too confusing to read.

I guess English is not really a very good language for complicated thoughts.

That might explain a few things then Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
04-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you need the teenage guide to popularity!

Well, I don't have much of real comments. It's a struggle of community relations and all that jazz in a social setting. I never had an issue of not being popular or liked, there was not much social action I was into taking in the school dayz.

It's more now than anything it affects me but that's not really about popularity, that whole concept doesn't even exist in my current world. It's more lack of social relationships with people to begin with group or not group setting. So as long as you have the small or any core friendship, It should work out for the long run. I really only talk to one highschool friend these days anyway, highschool friends just become people on your facebook wall. Wink

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post