Populations described in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Populations described in the Bible
Does anyone know if someone has studied or counted the populations described in the Bible and matched it to the population that was actually known to have existed. When I read about the amount of people god kills in this or that genocide or just the numbers of people wandering the desert or whatever the story is describing, it always seems like it's a huge number of people and like everything else in the bible, greatly exaggerated.

I'd think that archaeologists would have a pretty good idea of the population. So has anyone matched up the numbers? The numbers must be way off, I'd just like to know how much the bible embellished their population numbers.

I hope my question makes sense.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 01:00 PM by Commonsensei.)
RE: Populations described in the Bible
10,000 BCE human population was around 1 mill. Not to bad since the world wouldn't be created for another 4,000 years.

According to google 6,000 BCE human population was around 5 million. (Not 2) Stayed pretty consistent till 4,500 BCE where it went up to 6 million.

During the Bronze age 10 mill.

During the time of the greek/roman empires 100 millon.

Then once modern science came on the scene. with working medican and technology.

425 million.

Current world population is as of 2012 is 7 billion.

http://www.painofsalvation.com/be/population.htm

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-09-2016, 01:26 PM
(16-09-2016 12:47 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  According to google 6,000 BCE human population was around 5 million. Stayed pretty consistent till 4,500 BCE where it went up to 6 million.

Well, what I'm asking is this. According to the Bible god kills all these people. This is an estimated list from Steve Wells book, Drunk With Blood. I have this book and he explains how he's come up with his numbers. He actually underestimates his numbers too.

[Image: RwtenIJ.png]

Now I know this is an estimated list but in just one incident god kills 500,000 Israeli soldiers. Were there really 500,000 Israeli soldiers around at that time? Even if you low balled the numbers and estimated it to be 300,000 soldiers that would still be huge population and if just half the soldiers were married and had a couple of kids and a wife (or two) then the population would be over a million people right there.

In Deuteronomy 3: 6 Wells estimates 60,000 people die. In Numbers 31.1-35 200,000 die.

Perhaps I'm being too skeptical about Bible stories or maybe there really were 500,000 soldiers available in ancient Israel. But do you suppose....... is there perhaps.... could it possibly be......that the Bible exaggerates things!?

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-09-2016, 03:06 PM
(16-09-2016 01:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 12:47 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  According to google 6,000 BCE human population was around 5 million. Stayed pretty consistent till 4,500 BCE where it went up to 6 million.

Well, what I'm asking is this. According to the Bible god kills all these people. This is an estimated list from Steve Wells book, Drunk With Blood. I have this book and he explains how he's come up with his numbers. He actually underestimates his numbers too.

[Image: RwtenIJ.png]

Now I know this is an estimated list but in just one incident god kills 500,000 Israeli soldiers. Were there really 500,000 Israeli soldiers around at that time? Even if you low balled the numbers and estimated it to be 300,000 soldiers that would still be huge population and if just half the soldiers were married and had a couple of kids and a wife (or two) then the population would be over a million people right there.

In Deuteronomy 3: 6 Wells estimates 60,000 people die. In Numbers 31.1-35 200,000 die.

Perhaps I'm being too skeptical about Bible stories or maybe there really were 500,000 soldiers available in ancient Israel. But do you suppose....... is there perhaps.... could it possibly be......that the Bible exaggerates things!?

Gasp What the bible doesn't get anything wrong. Every word on every page is perfect. God wouldn't make a mistake like that.Bowing

The truth is the numbers are most likely not the most accurate. Many of these stories originating from the oral tradition would have added parts for flavor or a best guess.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Im no expert on anything useful, but that sounds like a huge fuckin army to me.
16-09-2016, 04:26 PM
God must have needed more soldiers in heaven to fight for him in the eternal war that never ever ends.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-09-2016, 07:27 PM
(16-09-2016 01:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  maybe there really were 500,000 soldiers available in ancient Israel. But do you suppose....... is there perhaps.... could it possibly be......that the Bible exaggerates things!?

Y'think?

The first global estimate for the size of the imperial army in the ancient sources is in the Annales of Tacitus. In AD 23, shortly after the end of the rule of Augustus, there were 25 legions (about 125,000 men) and "roughly the same number again of auxiliaries" in about 250 regiments.

From this base-line of c. 250,000 effectives, the imperial army grew steadily in the 1st and 2nd centuries, almost doubling in size to c. 450,000 by the end of the rule of Septimius Severus (AD 211). The number of legions increased to 33, and auxiliary regiments even more sharply to over 400 regiments. The army under Severus probably reached its peak size for the Principate period (30 BC - AD 284).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

Suuuuure the Israelites had more troops than the maximum size of the Roman army, including all their auxiliary troops!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Quote:I'd think that archaeologists would have a pretty good idea of the population.

There is actually a formula based on the built up areas. People in subsistence communities live pretty much the same today as they did in the Bronze Age. A certain number of people per hectare.

Using that formula archaeologists have calculated that the population of the northern kingdom (Israel) was about 100,000 in the 9th century while the southern kingdom ( Judah) was about a paltry 20,000.

"Jerusalem" or whatever it was called at the time was a miserable little hilltop village of about 500-800 people. Based on the available water supply the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts.

Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
16-09-2016, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 09:46 PM by dancefortwo.)
(16-09-2016 09:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I'd think that archaeologists would have a pretty good idea of the population.

There is actually a formula based on the built up areas. People in subsistence communities live pretty much the same today as they did in the Bronze Age. A certain number of people per hectare.

Using that formula archaeologists have calculated that the population of the northern kingdom (Israel) was about 100,000 in the 9th century while the southern kingdom ( Judah) was about a paltry 20,000.

"Jerusalem" or whatever it was called at the time was a miserable little hilltop village of about 500-800 people. Based on the available water supply the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts.

Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

Ahh, there we go, some numbers to go by. I couldn't find any information on the population in Israel in the 9th century. Thanks!

And as I suspected....the numbers don't add up and the Bible writers exaggerated a bunch of crap.

Edit: Somewhere I read archaeologists found what might have been the walls of Jericho and it was about 5 feet tall. Hahahaha.

16-09-2016, 09:51 PM
(16-09-2016 04:13 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Im no expert on anything useful, but that sounds like a huge fuckin army to me.

About the same size as IDF today - active and reserve. One of the biggest militaries in the world. Even if one does not consider the Bible a collection of mostly Jewish myths, 500,000 men is baloney.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg