Populations described in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 12:50 AM
RE: Populations described in the Bible
Dance,

It's too late for me to do it now. Tomorrow I'll sort through my archaeology books and see if I can find the formula. Off hand, I can't recall if it was Israel Finkelstein or Amihai Mazar - I have books by both - but I'll see what I can do.

There is a curious archaeological dust-up between Finkelstein and another Israeli archaeologist, Oded Lipschitz. Finkelstein, applying the formula in question takes issue with the so-called "return" from exile in the late 6th century. Now the Book of Ezra claims that roughly 50,000 people went back. Finkelstein, applying the formula to the area which was reconstituted in the Persian Era came up with a total of.....
400. Quite a discrepancy, eh?

But wait, along comes Oded Lipschitz who evaluated the evidence Finkelstein had used and came up with a different figure.

(Wait for it.)

Lipschitz reached the staggering total of 1,000.

Of such disputes are archaeological pissing contests made. Notice that neither comes close to the bible bullshit number!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
17-09-2016, 09:29 AM
(17-09-2016 12:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Dance,

It's too late for me to do it now. Tomorrow I'll sort through my archaeology books and see if I can find the formula. Off hand, I can't recall if it was Israel Finkelstein or Amihai Mazar - I have books by both - but I'll see what I can do.

There is a curious archaeological dust-up between Finkelstein and another Israeli archaeologist, Oded Lipschitz. Finkelstein, applying the formula in question takes issue with the so-called "return" from exile in the late 6th century. Now the Book of Ezra claims that roughly 50,000 people went back. Finkelstein, applying the formula to the area which was reconstituted in the Persian Era came up with a total of.....

But wait, along comes Oded Lipschitz who evaluated the evidence Finkelstein had used and came up with a different figure.

(Wait for it.)

Of such disputes are archaeological pissing contests made. Notice that neither comes close to the bible bullshit number!

All of this points to how greatly exaggerated and embellished everything is in the Bible. What the Bible might call a palatial palace we would call a small bungalow. A shining city is a small, one horse town. The exaggerations go on and on.

I read The Bible Unearthed by Finkelstein and recall some of your information, Minimalist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-09-2016, 09:45 AM

(Wait for it.)

Is Lipschitz prounced the way i hope it is?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
17-09-2016, 02:26 PM
(17-09-2016 09:45 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Is Lipschitz prounced the way i hope it is?

Yep.

Was the real last name of Hal Linden and Ralph Lauren.

No wonder they changed it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-09-2016, 03:32 PM

(Wait for it.)

Well, exaggerating is a common human condition. I read about the Battle of Thermopylae and scholars suspect that the numbers have been embellished here as well.

Bible stories remind me of the retelling of my husband's heroic quarterback, football playing days. Every year that goes by the story of the pass that won the game in the last minute of the game gets longer and longer. Pretty soon he'll have thrown it from the first yard line all the way to the opposite side of the field. Rolleyes I guess it's human nature.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-09-2016, 03:36 PM
(16-09-2016 12:47 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  10,000 BCE human population was around 1 mill. Not to bad since the world wouldn't be created for another 4,000 years.

According to google 6,000 BCE human population was around 5 million. (Not 2) Stayed pretty consistent till 4,500 BCE where it went up to 6 million.

During the Bronze age 10 mill.

During the time of the greek/roman empires 100 millon.

Then once modern science came on the scene. with working medican and technology.

425 million.

Current world population is as of 2012 is 7 billion.

http://www.painofsalvation.com/be/population.htm

I remember as a teenager back in 1962 or 63 adding up the lists of soldiers and seeing that the book of Judges claimed that Israel had over a million soldiers. How many does the USA have at present? Not a whole lot more than that, right?
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
17-09-2016, 03:38 PM
(17-09-2016 02:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 09:45 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Is Lipschitz prounced the way i hope it is?

Yep.

Was the real last name of Hal Linden and Ralph Lauren.

No wonder they changed it.

As akid we had a neighbor family named Henshit, pronounced hens hit!
17-09-2016, 04:12 PM
(17-09-2016 03:36 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 12:47 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  10,000 BCE human population was around 1 mill. Not to bad since the world wouldn't be created for another 4,000 years.

According to google 6,000 BCE human population was around 5 million. (Not 2) Stayed pretty consistent till 4,500 BCE where it went up to 6 million.

During the Bronze age 10 mill.

During the time of the greek/roman empires 100 millon.

Then once modern science came on the scene. with working medican and technology.

425 million.

Current world population is as of 2012 is 7 billion.

http://www.painofsalvation.com/be/population.htm

I remember as a teenager back in 1962 or 63 adding up the lists of soldiers and seeing that the book of Judges claimed that Israel had over a million soldiers. How many does the USA have at present? Not a whole lot more than that, right?

~1.3M active, 800k reservist, making ~2.1M total. But that's spread out over an area a little larger than Palestine.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-09-2016, 05:41 PM
(16-09-2016 09:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

[Image: content?id=q_T0sgEACAAJ&printsec...KSrp-WGB_V]

Isn't this the fucking bible? What's not to believe? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2016, 05:47 PM
(17-09-2016 05:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

[Image: content?id=q_T0sgEACAAJ&printsec...KSrp-WGB_V]

Isn't this the fucking bible? What's not to believe? Consider

Talk about a fairy tale.

#sigh