Populations described in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 08:45 PM
RE: Populations described in the Bible
Chuck Norris always destroyed populations with his roundhouse kick. The Noah flood was caused by chuck Norris sneeze. Expect chuck Norris cutting the human world population by 1/10 very soon.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
18-09-2016, 01:10 AM
(17-09-2016 03:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 12:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Dance,

It's too late for me to do it now. Tomorrow I'll sort through my archaeology books and see if I can find the formula. Off hand, I can't recall if it was Israel Finkelstein or Amihai Mazar - I have books by both - but I'll see what I can do.

There is a curious archaeological dust-up between Finkelstein and another Israeli archaeologist, Oded Lipschitz. Finkelstein, applying the formula in question takes issue with the so-called "return" from exile in the late 6th century. Now the Book of Ezra claims that roughly 50,000 people went back. Finkelstein, applying the formula to the area which was reconstituted in the Persian Era came up with a total of.....
400. Quite a discrepancy, eh?

But wait, along comes Oded Lipschitz who evaluated the evidence Finkelstein had used and came up with a different figure.

(Wait for it.)

Lipschitz reached the staggering total of 1,000.

Of such disputes are archaeological pissing contests made. Notice that neither comes close to the bible bullshit number!

Well, exaggerating is a common human condition. I read about the Battle of Thermopylae and scholars suspect that the numbers have been embellished here as well.

Bible stories remind me of the retelling of my husband's heroic quarterback, football playing days. Every year that goes by the story of the pass that won the game in the last minute of the game gets longer and longer. Pretty soon he'll have thrown it from the first yard line all the way to the opposite side of the field. Rolleyes I guess it's human nature.
[Image: Al%20Bundy.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
18-09-2016, 06:49 PM
(17-09-2016 09:45 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  

It's too late for me to do it now. Tomorrow I'll sort through my archaeology books and see if I can find the formula. Off hand, I can't recall if it was Israel Finkelstein or Amihai Mazar - I have books by both - but I'll see what I can do.

There is a curious archaeological dust-up between Finkelstein and another Israeli archaeologist, Oded Lipschitz. Finkelstein, applying the formula in question takes issue with the so-called "return" from exile in the late 6th century. Now the Book of Ezra claims that roughly 50,000 people went back. Finkelstein, applying the formula to the area which was reconstituted in the Persian Era came up with a total of.....

But wait, along comes Oded Lipschitz who evaluated the evidence Finkelstein had used and came up with a different figure.

(Wait for it.)

Of such disputes are archaeological pissing contests made. Notice that neither comes close to the bible bullshit number!

Is Lipschitz prounced the way i hope it is?

Yep.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-09-2016, 06:51 PM
(17-09-2016 09:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

(Wait for it.)

All of this points to how greatly exaggerated and embellished everything is in the Bible. What the Bible might call a palatial palace we would call a small bungalow. A shining city is a small, one horse town. The exaggerations go on and on.

I read The Bible Unearthed by Finkelstein and recall some of your information, Minimalist.

If you still have the book a description of the formula is in a footnote at the bottom of page 208 in my paperback edition. I think it was Mazar who actually discussed the numbers to plug in to the formula.

18-09-2016, 07:08 PM
In "The Quest for The Historical Israel" which is a collection of essays which Finkelstein and Mazar gave at Oxford, Finkelstein writes:

Quote:The key phenomenon—which cannot be explained solely against the
background of economic prosperity—was the sudden growth of the population
of Jerusalem in particular, and of Judah in general. In only a few decades
in the late-eighth century, Jerusalem grew in size from about five hectares

154 THE QUEST FOR THE HISTORICAL ISRAEL

to about sixty and in population from around one thousand inhabitants to
over ten thousand.

Remember that the distinctive event in the late eighth century was the Assyrian conquest of the Northern Kingdom of Israel. Finkelstein is postulating a wave of refugees fleeing south to Judah.

20-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Here you go, Dance. From one of Amihai Mazar's essays in "The Quest for the Historical Israel."

Quote:Population size is estimated by multiplying the known built-up area of the sites by a certain coefficient of people per built-up hectare. Using a coefficient of 250 people per built-up hectare, Finkelstein estimated the population of the central hill country alone

Pg 86

25-09-2016, 04:38 AM
(16-09-2016 09:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I'd think that archaeologists would have a pretty good idea of the population.

There is actually a formula based on the built up areas. People in subsistence communities live pretty much the same today as they did in the Bronze Age. A certain number of people per hectare.

Using that formula archaeologists have calculated that the population of the northern kingdom (Israel) was about 100,000 in the 9th century while the southern kingdom ( Judah) was about a paltry 20,000.

"Jerusalem" or whatever it was called at the time was a miserable little hilltop village of about 500-800 people. Based on the available water supply the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts.

Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

"...the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts."

Yeah, but apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-09-2016, 08:54 AM
(25-09-2016 04:38 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  There is actually a formula based on the built up areas. People in subsistence communities live pretty much the same today as they did in the Bronze Age. A certain number of people per hectare.

Using that formula archaeologists have calculated that the population of the northern kingdom (Israel) was about 100,000 in the 9th century while the southern kingdom ( Judah) was about a paltry 20,000.

"Jerusalem" or whatever it was called at the time was a miserable little hilltop village of about 500-800 people. Based on the available water supply the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts.

Don't believe anything you read in the fucking bible.

"...the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts."

Ten points to House Fulton for the Python reference!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-09-2016, 08:16 PM
(25-09-2016 08:54 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 04:38 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "...the population could never have gotten above 10,000 until Herod the Great started building aqueducts."

Ten points to House Fulton for the Python reference!

I always liked the Life of Brian better than the Holy Grail.....although the skit about "We Were So Poor" was funny too. As was the Fish Dance....... I like the Fish Dance too. Laugh out load

Oh! And the Dead Parrot skit. And then the "Spam" skit. Well, most of the skits are funny. So, yeah. Monty Python is funny. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-09-2016, 09:07 PM
(25-09-2016 08:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I always liked the Life of Brian better than the Holy Grail.....although the skit about "We Were So Poor" was funny too. As was the Fish Dance....... I like the Fish Dance too. Laugh out load

Oh! And the Dead Parrot skit. And then the "Spam" skit. Well, most of the skits are funny. So, yeah. Monty Python is funny. Big Grin

I like the two movies about equally... brilliant stuff! So many of their skits are brilliant, but it's hard to top the Dead Parrot skit, the Ministry of Silly Walks, or the "Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Say N'More!" bit.

[Image: Monty%2BPython.%2BNudge%2Bnudge.gif]

But all-time my favorite is below:

"Right. Now let's see something decent, and military. Some precision drilling!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post