Portugal no longer a democracy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Portugal no longer a democracy?
If you have a chance have a read of this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econo...power.html

In short, the state,"has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.".

Europe is really going to shit right now, as if countries are even sacrificing their democracies in order to 100% know that they won't leave the EU. No matter the public opinion.

I'm becoming more and more anti-EU every day. This is madness!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: Portugal no longer a democracy?
(24-10-2015 01:30 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  If you have a chance have a read of this article:

In short, the state,"has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.".

Europe is really going to shit right now, as if countries are even sacrificing their democracies in order to 100% know that they won't leave the EU. No matter the public opinion.

Ya might want to keep that on the DL....

the walls have ears................

[/paranoia]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-10-2015, 01:52 PM
(24-10-2015 01:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-10-2015 01:30 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  If you have a chance have a read of this article:

Ya might want to keep that on the DL....

the walls have ears................

[/paranoia]

I'm gonna get dragged away in the middle of the night and forced to watch the 2 minutes hate featuring images of Nigel Farage with devils hoofs, on repeat Sad

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post
07-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Most democracies reserve the right to ban certain parties, though this usually only applies to violent or extremely racist ones (like neo-nazis or bolsheviks). Banning euro-skeptics skirts the line between national interest and democratic principles, but sometimes restricting populism for long-term benefit of the people is, in my opinion, acceptable.
07-11-2015, 07:13 PM
(07-11-2015 06:39 PM)Naridar Wrote:  Most democracies reserve the right to ban certain parties, though this usually only applies to violent or extremely racist ones (like neo-nazis or bolsheviks). Banning euro-skeptics skirts the line between national interest and democratic principles, but sometimes restricting populism for long-term benefit of the people is, in my opinion, acceptable.

By that logic, the U.S. should ban the Republican Party. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-11-2015, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 03:41 AM by Szuchow.)

If state would ban neonazis or other menace I would applaud them. This however is too much, it's step into the land of fascism.

But it's nothing truly surprising as gov caring about people wishes isn't something that we get to see every day.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-11-2015, 03:29 AM
(07-11-2015 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 06:39 PM)Naridar Wrote:  Most democracies reserve the right to ban certain parties, though this usually only applies to violent or extremely racist ones (like neo-nazis or bolsheviks). Banning euro-skeptics skirts the line between national interest and democratic principles, but sometimes restricting populism for long-term benefit of the people is, in my opinion, acceptable.

[Image: 4719544930_i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202...xlarge.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-11-2015, 07:58 AM
(07-11-2015 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  

In fact, US did use the exact same logic.

Quote:The Communist Control Act (68 Stat. 775, 50 U.S.C. 841-844) is a piece of United States federal legislation, signed into law by President Dwight Eisenhower on 24 August 1954, which outlawed the Communist Party of the United States and criminalized membership in, or support for the Party or "Communist-action" organizations and defined evidence to be considered by a jury in determining participation in the activities, planning, actions, objectives, or purposes of such organizations.[1]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
08-11-2015, 12:09 PM
(08-11-2015 02:36 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  This however is too much, it's step into the land of fascism.
Why fascism specifically?
08-11-2015, 03:48 PM
(08-11-2015 12:09 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 02:36 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  This however is too much, it's step into the land of fascism.
Why fascism specifically?

Anti-democracy lacks the punch.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post