you too must become
a hippo

flowers are flowers, mountains are mountains,
I sit here, you stand there, and the world goes on from eternity to eternity
this is the suchness of things

rain on the high grass
many bright souls in waiting
for light from the sun

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: Positive Attitude and Cancer
^^Am I high?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-05-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 07:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-05-2012 07:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ^^Am I high?

never ever

(Haiku combo, not mine)

"when I was little, I thought five minutes was eternity"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

24-05-2012, 09:05 PM
(24-05-2012 07:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hammerdog...first off...welcome!

Since I saw your topic, I have thinking about how to respond and I am still not sure I have it quite right.

Anyhoo...I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September 2009. Boy was I pissed! After a life of bullshit and struggle, I thought that things were finally settling down. My baby was 22 and working for a stable company, daughters long out on their own. Dad had lost his battle with bladder cancer and other complications earlier in the year, and while I was sad he was gone my stress level had dropped to a manageable level. At the age of 52 I was finally in college! Now this....goddammit! Why can't I have some part of my life just be about living and not about surviving? FUCK!

Did I have a positive attitude...not really, I was in fight mode. I was damn angry. I researched everything, made my decisions regarding the appropriate treatment, set my teeth and plunged in. I portrayed a positive attitude to help some of the people in my life deal with it more easily. I am prone to depression so I let the doctors help me with that medically. I seldom cried except due to the unrelenting pain that resulted from nerve damage caused during surgery that went undiagnosed for over a year and is still an issue.

I heard often from people that a positive attitude was so important. I swear my anger did more for me than a positive attitude could have. Things were not all sunshine and butterflies.

So next month I go for my biannual tests with the oncologist. I didn't do chemo as one of the side effects could have been leukemia and that didn't seem like a swell choice. I also passed on radiation. I just let them mutilate me and cut out the cancer and all the breast tissue in both breasts (good thing since afterward they found out it was in both sides not just the one).

Everyone has to follow their own path and make their own decisions when cancer crops up. I went against doctors, family, and friends and am 2-1/2 years out. It hasn't been a pleasure cruise, but it's been okay most of the time.

Don't let people tell you how to feel, how to act, or what to do...

A positive attitude may work for some...I really didn't go that route...hope you are with us a long time!

Ummm ... Girly's thinking that might be representative of a positive attitude, Anjele. Thumbsup ... but the fuck i know ...

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-05-2012, 02:59 AM
A positive attitude calms ones mind and helps him have better mental health. It can help even with illness, but it is extremely hard for the mind to change your physical condition. A placebo effect can be found there, but it is not as strong or as common as people might think.

Please watch this documentary, it can give you more details to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6K_GNvJOg

Nature can heal all sorts of things.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear of the cancer of course.
I used to have a friend who had cancer as well and I would like to make a point of her case.
She was fighting it for a very long time, she had a very ignorant and demanding son who treated her horrible when she started getting sick. But she kept fighting like crazy. But the cancer kept spreading. She got the chemo and when it didn't help she got some things... sticks put in her body (sorry i don't know the terminology). At the point of the sticks it started going back a bit. But after a while it got worse again and she started losing hope and giving up.
Now I was still a witch back then so I lit a candle sent her good energy (equal to a prayer, just takes longer), and she fell in love with a great man who treated her wonderful and she moved in with him. He knew about the cancer, he took her anyways.
And another friend sent her a stone (she was also a witch and the friend was also a witch).
That's when she started getting better very fast and in the end actually beat the cancer completely.

So yes, the attitude and knowing that people care about you helps a lot, I am very sure of that.

I am of course also aware that it depends on how bad your state is already. Like when you have inner bleedings and you lost a lot of blood already, all positive thinking won't help, you will need a good doctor to get you out of that.

cheers

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user