Positive Thinking Garbage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 08:23 PM
RE: Positive Thinking Garbage
Even when the things in life -suck- and you just want to kill something/one, even if you have to force it. It makes it easier to deal with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2013, 12:02 AM
(15-06-2013 08:23 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Even when the things in life -suck- and you just want to kill something/one, even if you have to force it. It makes it easier to deal with.

I can tell you from experience that when things got overwhelming horrible in my life positive thinking didn't work and it sure didn't make it easier to deal with the mess that I went through, it made it harder. Trying to be warm and fuzzy about a deluge of total crap was denying the reality of the situation.

Yeah, one can be positive when life is pleasant and everything is in good working order but throw a train wreck into the mix and positive just doesn't cut it.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Re: Positive Thinking Garbage
Seeing the positive is not about being "delusional" or warm and fuzzy. It's about finding the strength in yourself to not let the shit that happens to you in life get you down.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-06-2013, 01:36 AM
And you shouldn't insult others by implying that strong people who can do that have never had real problems. There are a lot of people on this forum who have gone through hell (sorry for the use of that word)and back that couldn't have done it if they hadn't worked or hoped the best and stayed positive.
16-06-2013, 03:04 AM
(16-06-2013 01:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  And you shouldn't insult others by implying that strong people who can do that have never had real problems. There are a lot of people on this forum who have gone through hell (sorry for the use of that word)and back that couldn't have done it if they hadn't worked or hoped the best and stayed positive.

Good for them. Could they have overcome depression without a supportive circle of friends and relatives? To laud positive thinking as some kind of wonder-therapy is, at best, looking back on the past with rose-tinted glasses.
16-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Supportive friends and family are all well and good. But you are the only person who can control how you feel and react. Like someone said earlier, you choose whether to laugh or cry. But I agree. There is no wonder therapy.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-06-2013, 04:33 AM
(16-06-2013 03:12 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Supportive friends and family are all well and good. But you are the only person who can control how you feel and react. Like someone said earlier, you choose whether to laugh or cry. But I agree. There is no wonder therapy.

Positive thinking can only take you so far. I thank you for acknowledging that.

I certainly wouldn't condescend and tell a cancer victim, who has just undergone a harrowing chemotherapy course, to simply "grin and bear it." That would be profoundly insulting and unfair towards them.
16-06-2013, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 11:40 PM by Peanut.)
I don't have an easy life. I have been depressed more times and for long intervals than I can even relate right now. (I just turned 24.)

Couple things about me I'd like to point out:

1) I have bipolar disorder, so I have both SUPER HAPPY, "everything is wonderful times" as well as ABSOLUTELY depressed and "I don't see the point in doing anything in this world anymore times." Just LAST NIGHT, I had a mini panic attack and I cried in front of a boss at work. *Gotta do damage control today*

2) I don't have a support system through my family, so I'm incapable of feeling confident enough to move on at this current crossroads in my life.

3) I have no assets, (no savings, live paycheck to paycheck, etc) I have no car or license, I have no college degree, I work a minimum wage job... in RETAIL. (Retail is brutal.)

Having said all that, I'd like to say that although I've dealt with a tough life and "nothing is handed to me" and I DO get envious of others' wealth and "good fortune" a lot, I still choose to be positive in my daily life. If I spent my time just wallowing in self-pity, I'd have offed myself many years ago.

I would just continue to feel that NOTHING will work for me; Everything is BULLSHIT. "There's no point in living." I choose not to see everything as a negative. I also don't think everything in life has a positive message/alternate reaction, either. I don't believe in "sending positive energy out into the universe;" We make our own path in life, there is no luck or karma. We make our own choices.

How we CHOOSE to feel during the difficult times in life will indicate how we handle stress and sadness on a daily/weekly basis. And how am I going to calm my 6 year old down when he freaks about not getting "any matches" in Memory if I, too, show him everyday that I'm "mad that things aren't going my way?" As a mother, I have to show the behavior I want my children to see/do.

If we spend our days assuming the worst WILL happen no matter what, we will only see the negative even in otherwise positive, beneficial situations. It's going to be a boring life...

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
16-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I must disagree with your last sentence, Peanut. If we expect the worst, then we are practically immune to being disappointed.
16-06-2013, 07:20 AM
(16-06-2013 07:16 AM)AyameTan Wrote:  I must disagree with your last sentence, Peanut. If we expect the worst, then we are practically immune to being disappointed.

Yeah, except for those times when it's worse than you could imagine. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user