Positive reasons for why people become/stay religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 09:55 PM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: Positive reasons for why people become/stay religious?
-(mentioned already) a regiment for setting aside time for reflection, regular breathing, which eases or diminishes physical/mental stress (prayer, meditation).

I'm noticing a large portion focuses on mental health, and socializing.

I have a hypothesis that secular organizations can do more to lower the amount of religious people by promoting more regular secular social events, and psychological exercises.

This might not only affect religious people, but people that are part of similar communities that are similarly detached from reality (basically any defined group of people that are primarily seeking socializing and easing some stress).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 02:16 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Positive reasons for why people become/stay religious?
Lemme go through each of these asking the question, "Could a community of well-organized, tight-knit atheists achieve exactly the same thing without religion?"

-seeing and interacting with your neighborhood at least once a week in a formal way. Yes.
-finding a similar community, whether tiny or large, anywhere around the world. Yes.
-well financed and organized organizations for charity. Yes.
-well financed and organized organizations for communal events or projects. Yes.
-sense of being loved and cared for, feeling you always have a second chance if you want it bad enough. Yes.
-sense that your life matters, and you being alive meant something. Hell yes.
-not being burdened with the eventuality of death. .... kinda-yes in the sense that we could see it as not a burden, no in the sense that we don't actually avoid it, but then neither do the religious.
-a burning unyielding desire for a cause, that nothing other than death could stop you from doing. .... eh, I won't say that atheists are IMMUNE to fanaticism, but I'll definitely give religion an edge on this. Only... it's not a good reason.
-exposed to rich history, art, and architecture. Yes.
-a clear conscious and guide for what is right and wrong. Yes. At least, better than religion can do.
-a regiment for setting aside time for reflection, regular breathing, which eases or diminishes physical/mental stress (prayer, meditation). Yes.

..... so why are these reasons to join a religion, when you can achieve them without religion? All we need is to organize atheists to provide the same community support that churches do.

.... is there a cat-herder in the house?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply