Possibility of moving to the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Possibility of moving to the US
I'm writing this in order to get some advice from those living in the US or who have visited before.

I've always been fond of the US and have always felt some sort of calling like I belong there, not in the big cities but the enclosed towns and rural areas. I think the attraction is a combination of both diversity and the vast size. It just seems to maneuverable and free as an outsider.

I read Hitch-22 and was pleasantly surprised to find the same ambition that Hitch had when he was around my age. Now, I know I don't have a god damn degree in PPE from the University of Oxford but I'm soon to have a degree in Classical Civilizations... and that's good enough... right? Tongue

The problem I have is that I may just be living in a dreamland and the US may not be as welcoming to me as I hope. Along with needing to understand Visa's, the US economic situation, needing a job first etc etc

Any advice from you folks who have been travelling before and lived in foreign countries? Or maybe currently living in the US and wouldn't really recommend it?Sorry I can't really narrow this down into a single question.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
RE: Possibility of moving to the US
The US is as varied in it's populace as it is in it's geography.

Most likely, you can find some place you'll fit in.

And more than a few places you should avoid like the plague.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Yes, the US is varied in many different ways....

tell more about that vision you are looking for and maybe we can help you narrow down your search and possibly reaching it.

-climate? hot, cold, humid,dry, mountains, flat?
- got any skills? what fields?
- how much money you want to spend on living?
- do plan on getting around? a car? motorcycle? bicycle?
- does your idea of seeing America involve culturally significant places (museums, battlefields, landmarks) or larger things like NYC, The Rocky Mountains, Florida.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Getting a Visa the legal way is indeed a pain in the ass. The easiest way is through marriage, though the process takes a couple years (at least). Then there's the skilled labor route, which usually requires a highly demanded degree and/or a job offer from a company that is willing to sponsor you. There is also the visa lottery, which you just sign up for and hope your number is picked. If you've got money, you can also get investment based residency go to an American university for a few years at astronomical international rates while you look for someone that wants to hire or marry you before your student visa expires.

'Murican Canadian
09-02-2015, 03:47 PM
(09-02-2015 03:19 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Yes, the US is varied in many different ways....

tell more about that vision you are looking for and maybe we can help you narrow down your search and possibly reaching it.

-climate? hot, cold, humid,dry, mountains, flat?
- got any skills? what fields?
- how much money you want to spend on living?
- do plan on getting around? a car? motorcycle? bicycle?
- does your idea of seeing America involve culturally significant places (museums, battlefields, landmarks) or larger things like NYC, The Rocky Mountains, Florida.

I am so temperamental that it would be hard to answer some of those.

One main attraction is that I could freely travel into a different climate whilst being in the same country if I felt like it. A hot climate would be my starting point though.

I have no skills really (it's quite embarrassing). Though I do have qualifications in the hospitality and catering industry. Soon to have academic qualifications of some significance.

Expenditure would be minimal, I live by the motto that a man is only as wealthy as the amount of his wants. Food/shelter/travel.

I know it sounds quite fantastical but I would like to travel mainly on pedal bike, of course long trips would consist of trains.

The culturally significant landmarks do not bother me so much. I think I'd visit them depending on where I'd be travelling to, like noticing that I'm not too far off from Gettysburg so then heading to it through spontaneity.

It's amazing that Texas is larger than the whole of the UK, and I've not covered the full breadth of the UK yet either!

09-02-2015, 03:53 PM
The US is a great place to live. Top 10? Maybe... But certainly not top 3, and since you only need to pick one place to live, why pick the US?

They do supply a more interesting choice of yogurts than Canada... Sorry, I haven't had dairy in a week..
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm living in Canada, and have travelled the states quite a bit. Beautiful parks and cities. The people are rather large everywhere outside of the expensive city centers. As far as the grass being greener... Other than Canada, the only place I'd be interested in is maybe Switzerland.
09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
(09-02-2015 03:53 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The US is a great place to live. Top 10? Maybe... But certainly not top 3, and since you only need to pick one place to live, why pick the US?

They do supply a more interesting choice of yogurts than Canada... Sorry, I haven't had dairy in a week..

I really cannot answer that question. It's strange! Every country appears to me to have their own key attraction but the US appears to be the best of all worlds. Plus, in England I've never witnessed the apparently crazy Christians that seem to inhabit the US, it'd be fun to witness them in person Tongue

09-02-2015, 04:17 PM
SunnyD1, have you visited America yet? If so, which parts?

Also what part of England do you come from? What do you like / dislike about it?
09-02-2015, 04:25 PM
(09-02-2015 04:17 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  SunnyD1, have you visited America yet? If so, which parts?

Also what part of England do you come from? What do you like / dislike about it?

Nope, never. Sadly. Due to funding I guess, which is why I want to plan it out so that I'm prepared before I get the funds.

I'm from Yorkshire, been to most other parts of England and Wales. I don't particularly dislike England, however, as said above I am extremely temperamental. In fact, if I were to think about what I do dislike about England it's the people, mainly. From what I've read and seen about the US (and friends that have visited) it's that the people are open and mainly welcoming. Complaining and being miserable is a common trait of the English, and I'm miserable and often complaining about that trait.

I just don't feel at home in England. Everybody seems either the extreme of being a racist living memory of the skinhead era, or the new age of pseudo-liberal students who think they have the world figured out.