Possibility of moving to the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
RE: Possibility of moving to the US
I've been all over the US.

A couple of suggestions.... (just my experience)

West Coast -- Marin/Sonoma counties in California have great weather and decent opportunities -- although the cost of living is high.
Seattle Wa and it's outlying areas -- you'll be used to the weather. Rain, rain, and more rain. But, when it's not - it's gorgeous. It's even nice when it is raining.

Southwest --- Phoenix, Flagstaff, Albuquerque all very nice -- but hot during the summer. Invest in a good air conditioner.

Midwest -- I've had a hoot of a time in the Lake of the Ozarks. It's a really weird area - but - you can find some great places to live in Missouri, Illinois (I'm partial to southern) and Louisiana (muggy and hurricane prone). Mardi Gras - New Orleans -- nuff said.

South/Gulf Coast -- Hurricanes everywhere -- also beauty like very few other places. Great weather. Bigger mosquitos. Alligators. Big snakes.

East Coast -- If you like mega cities - they've got 'em. There's also rural areas that can be very interesting -- but, they'll know you're a tourist.... Even after you live there 20 years...

Some great places, some horrid -- but, for the most part - not boring.... (Except Kansas.... enter only if you prefer being in a coma...) (j/k)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-02-2015, 04:44 PM
(09-02-2015 04:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been all over the US.

A couple of suggestions.... (just my experience)

West Coast -- Marin/Sonoma counties in California have great weather and decent opportunities -- although the cost of living is high.
Seattle Wa and it's outlying areas -- you'll be used to the weather. Rain, rain, and more rain. But, when it's not - it's gorgeous. It's even nice when it is raining.

Southwest --- Phoenix, Flagstaff, Albuquerque all very nice -- but hot during the summer. Invest in a good air conditioner.

Midwest -- I've had a hoot of a time in the Lake of the Ozarks. It's a really weird area - but - you can find some great places to live in Missouri, Illinois (I'm partial to southern) and Louisiana (muggy and hurricane prone). Mardi Gras - New Orleans -- nuff said.

South/Gulf Coast -- Hurricanes everywhere -- also beauty like very few other places. Great weather. Bigger mosquitos. Alligators. Big snakes.

East Coast -- If you like mega cities - they've got 'em. There's also rural areas that can be very interesting -- but, they'll know you're a tourist.... Even after you live there 20 years...

Some great places, some horrid -- but, for the most part - not boring.... (Except Kansas.... enter only if you prefer being in a coma...) (j/k)

Thanks, man.

That's the kind of comment I was hoping for!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
You're very welcome.....

Here, and in person........

Story - from 20 years ago.......

I live in the boonies -- one day I came home, and there was a couple of guys on bicycles with camping gear all over the bikes.... I stopped to check out what's what..... Turned out it was a couple of German students on vacation.. They started in NYC, and were heading to New Orleans, via Chicago.... My German is pathetic, and one kid had reasonable English.

I offered to let them crash at my place for the night. They were OK with setting up their tents - but I offered to let them in the house. (my ex wife was a bit apprehensive). They were very appreciative - especially to have a nice hot shower.

I fed them dinner, a few brews - and they bedded down in the north living room.....

While talking to them over dinner and brews - they related that they had not yet used their camping gear -- but had been invited into strangers homes every night so far on their trip - had gotten dinner and showers -- just like they got here.......(Got a post card from them, from New Orleans - they called it a trip of a lifetime.)

Americans tend to be like that. Sure, you'll find assholes -- but they're everywhere.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Austin, TX - lower cost of living and you can get around on a bike

Chattanooga, TN - low cost of living, southern hospitality and culture, ridiculously beautiful, great weather, will give you a small town feel. You'll find some Christian crazies there. And the people will fall all over themselves for your English accent.

New Orleans, LA - my favorite. Wish I lived there. Expensive for families, not so bad for singles. You might have a shot at a job there in hospitality field. Can get around on a bike. Don't let people freak you out talking about crime - most of it is gang related so the perp knows the victim.

I'd suggest Nashville, maybe Atlanta, but it's $$$$$$.

Keep in mind public transportation in much of the US either sucks or is nonexistent. Small towns don't have public transportation.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Avoid Philly- every asshole Ive ever met was from Philly. The shittiest town Ive ever been, was Philly.

Philadelphia is a shit hole.

the south- warm weather, down right hot (85f-100f) and 90% humidity in the summer. warm people, talkative, life moves at a slower pace here, if they don't like you, you probably wouldnt know it. bless your heart. Angel

my experience with Minnesota was that people were very polite but not really warm and friendly.....until I moved away, and all those folks who I didnt really think gave a shit, are still in my life in some form. Huh

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-02-2015, 08:34 PM
If you plan on planting some roots... Maybe avoid Cali; it might be a desert in a couple decades, or at the least, will likely be facing a fresh water crisis.
10-02-2015, 06:02 AM
(09-02-2015 07:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Avoid Philly- every asshole Ive ever met was from Philly. The shittiest town Ive ever been, was Philly.

Philadelphia is a shit hole.

the south- warm weather, down right hot (85f-100f) and 90% humidity in the summer. warm people, talkative, life moves at a slower pace here, if they don't like you, you probably wouldnt know it. bless your heart. Angel

my experience with Minnesota was that people were very polite but not really warm and friendly.....until I moved away, and all those folks who I didnt really think gave a shit, are still in my life in some form. Huh

It's perspective I suppose.

My g/f quite likes Philly. I guess it's different being the tourist. She's got all sorts of pictures of the local sights.....

Weird, eh??

10-02-2015, 06:18 AM
(09-02-2015 04:25 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  ...
either the extreme of being a racist living memory of the skinhead era, or the new age of pseudo-liberal students who think they have the world figured out.

Oooooh! Flashbacks.

Sadcryface

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-02-2015, 08:05 AM
(09-02-2015 05:52 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Austin, TX - lower cost of living and you can get around on a bike

Chattanooga, TN - low cost of living, southern hospitality and culture, ridiculously beautiful, great weather, will give you a small town feel. You'll find some Christian crazies there. And the people will fall all over themselves for your English accent.

New Orleans, LA - my favorite. Wish I lived there. Expensive for families, not so bad for singles. You might have a shot at a job there in hospitality field. Can get around on a bike. Don't let people freak you out talking about crime - most of it is gang related so the perp knows the victim.

I'd suggest Nashville, maybe Atlanta, but it's $$$$$$.

Keep in mind public transportation in much of the US either sucks or is nonexistent. Small towns don't have public transportation.

Chattanooga sounds fantastic. I don't think I'll be relying on my accent too much as it's a Yorkshire one.. just having the accent dumbs down ones' IQ by 50.

10-02-2015, 08:06 AM
(09-02-2015 05:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You're very welcome.....

Here, and in person........

Story - from 20 years ago.......

I live in the boonies -- one day I came home, and there was a couple of guys on bicycles with camping gear all over the bikes.... I stopped to check out what's what..... Turned out it was a couple of German students on vacation.. They started in NYC, and were heading to New Orleans, via Chicago.... My German is pathetic, and one kid had reasonable English.

I offered to let them crash at my place for the night. They were OK with setting up their tents - but I offered to let them in the house. (my ex wife was a bit apprehensive). They were very appreciative - especially to have a nice hot shower.

I fed them dinner, a few brews - and they bedded down in the north living room.....

While talking to them over dinner and brews - they related that they had not yet used their camping gear -- but had been invited into strangers homes every night so far on their trip - had gotten dinner and showers -- just like they got here.......(Got a post card from them, from New Orleans - they called it a trip of a lifetime.)

Americans tend to be like that. Sure, you'll find assholes -- but they're everywhere.....

That's one key thing I've heard repeatedly about Americans, the hospitality! I think the trust you guys have in strangers might somewhat be related to being able to have guns Tongue