Possibility of moving to the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 08:20 AM
RE: Possibility of moving to the US
Alaska is the best place on earth.

That is not my opinion, it is a scientifically proven fact.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 08:28 AM by Chas.)
(10-02-2015 08:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Alaska is the best place on earth.

[Citation required]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2015, 08:27 AM
My recommendation is not doing it. If you must I recommend the Pacific Northwest. Lots of beautiful sights and mild climate.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
(10-02-2015 08:27 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  My recommendation is not doing it. If you must I recommend the Pacific Northwest. Lots of beautiful sights and mild climate.

Why would you recommend against it?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
(10-02-2015 08:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  

[Citation required]

Opinions are self generated citation.

And - having lived in Anchorage and on Kodiak in the late 70's and early 80's -- -I'd recommend it if you like to

A. Hunt or fish.
B. Drink to excess......

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-02-2015, 09:24 AM
(10-02-2015 08:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  

[Citation required]

"Alaska is the best place on earth."
-yakherder, http://www.thethinkingatheist.com, February 2015.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
10-02-2015, 09:25 AM
It's on the internet so it MUST be true!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-02-2015, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 09:29 AM by gofish!.)
OK, so I’ve made the move from the UK to the USA (and back again) and have lived, worked and moved a few times. Here’s my unvarnished opinion, starting with the bad stuff:

1.     Getting there: visas are your biggest hurdle. I was lucky to get in on a specialty visa (O-1), but when I was there, getting any work-related visa was tough. One option might be to join an international company and get an internal transfer (L-1).
2.     Racism: I think you have to be very realistic here. In many parts, you’ll find racism far more profound than any you’ll experience in the UK. There are still cross burnings in many states (even in NE, like Pennsylvania) and while I was living there, a black kid got dragged to his death from the back of a truck, and black man was shot 19 times by Police for taking his wallet out, and one was even tortured in a Police cell (those last two in NYC). Being white, I can’t say what that experience is like if you are non-white, but from the institutionalised racism I experienced in the southern states, I unfortunately know what a lot of white peers were thinking, having had them “share their thoughts” with me. It made me want to puke. The litmus here is when there’s a shooting of a black kid, which is when all the pent-up frustration and hatred overflows. I came to the US optimistic because of the Civil Rights movement and left with the feeling that it just papered over the cracks. That said, it’s better in some areas (NY, NJ, Illinois, New England, SoCal) than in others (basically, the South and southern Midwest). Cities are the best option here, especially NYC, San Francisco (if you can put up with The Latte Crowd), Chicago. And it is getting better.
3.     Religion: Be ready for a new experience here, especially with the Christian fundamentalists. There are plenty of crazies who are more than a match for ISIS and the Taliban (yes, I meant that), but for me the Baptists take the crown. Remember, the “pilgrims” were the original nutbars, described quite politely by one of my favourite comedians, Dennis Miller, as “people so stuck up even the British kicked them out”. The truth was worse. In many parts, religion is a big deal in a very bad way and you have to be careful who you come out to as an atheist. There are quite a few stories about that here on these boards.
4.     Differences: Don’t ever make the mistake of believing Americans are in any way like the English (apart from WASPs, who are wannabe English). Remember that and you won’t have difficulties (e.g. like thinking people have the same customs or ideas about politeness). Oh, and do remember that even each state is like a different country. Your average New Yorker is a million miles away from your average Californian...
5.     Transport (or lack of public transport): In Europe, we’re used to relatively efficient and reasonably priced public transport (buses, trains and metro systems). Not so in the US. Unless you’re living in a major city, you’re dead without a car. Even then, in some cities (e.g. Miami, Los Angeles), life without a car is very tough. Long distance, people fly. Never took the trains or long haul buses, but heard some grim stories.
6.     Weather: Apart from welcome aspects (hotter), there are some less welcome side effects (tornados, hurricanes, epic snow storms and something that is mind-bogglingly evil – the dreaded ice storm). South Eastern states get unbearably hot (100F) and humid (100%) during summer and then it chucks down like someone opened up with a heated firehose.
7.     Kansas and Missouri: Because...damn....

Those are biggies out of the way. Now the good stuff:

1.     People: Nothwithstanding what I’ve above, in the UK it is easy to get a cynical view of Americans, especially with all the clichés we hear and some of America’s more dubious exports (e.g. FOX). Some of the kindest, most keenly intellectual and remarkable people I’ve met have been Americans. You can get a clue about that from many of the people on this forum. The stories onlinebiker relates ring very true: I have simply been astounded by how friendly people can be (although I do wonder how well I would have been received in Arkansas if I were black). There are also people who truly do believe in the principles on which the USA was founded and there’s a lot of courageous people there.
2.     Your accent: More often than not, people will greet your English accent (even a Yorkshire one) with either amusement, warmth or requests for “Austin Powers” impressions (I had kids howling without fail with this). Rather sadly, I noticed noticeable mood changes when around black people in southern states once they heard my English accent – suddenly, it was all warmth and welcomes.  
3.     Cost and standard of living: It’s not quite “anything you want, in any amount, cheap as chips and 24 hours a day”, but it’s a darn sight closer in the US than it is in the UK.  Apart from places like NYC and Irvine CA, housing is bigger, land is bigger, everything’s cheaper. Petrol (or Gas) is 20% of the cost over here. And the sheer quantity and variety of stuff is mind boggling.
4.     Food: Although it is possible to get crap food (e.g. half the restaurants in Times Square; most places in Pennsylvania backwoods), food is usually good, hearty fare. The best restaurants in e US are amongst the best in the world, and even the mundane can be brilliant.
5.     Culture: We Europeans are rightly proud of our culture, but sometimes to the point of arrogance. Don’t let that blind you to the culture in the US. Sure, maybe it’s not as old (unless you go to Moundsville to see the ancient Indian pyramids), but it is every bit as vibrant, relevant and alive. Music, art, sports....it’s all not just good, but up there with the very best (some might say it’s the best).
6.     Recreation: Sorry, but American’s simply know how to have fun so much better than us English. Not taking anything too seriously means that people take things to hilarious extremes, but all with tongue firmly in cheek. Whether it’s Halloween, or those outrageous marching bands, extreme sports....everything’s done on a bigger and much funnier scale.
7.     Nature: One of the big attractions is just how much real wilderness there still is to hike and camp through. Just make sure you don’t become a “Teddy Bear’s Picnic”... Wink
8.     Weather: In SoCal, you can pretty much go around in summer clothing all year long. In most other places, there are real winters (with snow) and real summers (with sun). Novel for us English....

So, places I’d recommend: NYC, Chicago, Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas, San Francisco, SoCal, New England, and the East Coast down to Atlanta GA.

Places I’d avoid: North Florida and South Eastern states (especially if you are non-white). And West Virginia....

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 4 users Like gofish!'s post
10-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Hey -- if you're looking for a cheap place to live --- Detroit is a possibility.....

Providing you don't mind living in a place that looks a lot like post WWII Berlin - with worse roads and crappy weather.

Oh -- and extra crime. Drive by shootings are the local sport.......

Big Grin

10-02-2015, 09:41 AM
(10-02-2015 09:26 AM)gofish! Wrote:  OK, so I’ve made the move from the UK to the USA (and back again) and have lived, worked and moved a few times. Here’s my unvarnished opinion, starting with the bad stuff:

1.     Getting there: visas are your biggest hurdle. I was lucky to get in on a specialty visa (O-1), but when I was there, getting any work-related visa was tough. One option might be to join an international company and get an internal transfer (L-1).
2.     Racism: I think you have to be very realistic here. In many parts, you’ll find racism far more profound than any you’ll experience in the UK. There are still cross burnings in many states (even in NE, like Pennsylvania) and while I was living there, a black kid got dragged to his death from the back of a truck, and black man was shot 19 times by Police for taking his wallet out, and one was even tortured in a Police cell (those last two in NYC). Being white, I can’t say what that experience is like if you are non-white, but from the institutionalised racism I experienced in the southern states, I unfortunately know what a lot of white peers were thinking, having had them “share their thoughts” with me. It made me want to puke. The litmus here is when there’s a shooting of a black kid, which is when all the pent-up frustration and hatred overflows. I came to the US optimistic because of the Civil Rights movement and left with the feeling that it just papered over the cracks. That said, it’s better in some areas (NY, NJ, Illinois, New England, SoCal) than in others (basically, the South and southern Midwest). Cities are the best option here, especially NYC, San Francisco (if you can put up with The Latte Crowd), Chicago. And it is getting better.
3.     Religion: Be ready for a new experience here, especially with the Christian fundamentalists. There are plenty of crazies who are more than a match for ISIS and the Taliban (yes, I meant that), but for me the Baptists take the crown. Remember, the “pilgrims” were the original nutbars, described quite politely by one of my favourite comedians, Dennis Miller, as “people so stuck up even the British kicked them out”. The truth was worse. In many parts, religion is a big deal in a very bad way and you have to be careful who you come out to as an atheist. There are quite a few stories about that here on these boards.
4.     Differences: Don’t ever make the mistake of believing Americans are in any way like the English (apart from WASPs, who are wannabe English). Remember that and you won’t have difficulties (e.g. like thinking people have the same customs or ideas about politeness). Oh, and do remember that even each state is like a different country. Your average New Yorker is a million miles away from your average Californian...
5.     Transport (or lack of public transport): In Europe, we’re used to relatively efficient and reasonably priced public transport (buses, trains and metro systems). Not so in the US. Unless you’re living in a major city, you’re dead without a car. Even then, in some cities (e.g. Miami, Los Angeles), life without a car is very tough. Long distance, people fly. Never took the trains or long haul buses, but heard some grim stories.
6.     Weather: Apart from welcome aspects (hotter), there are some less welcome side effects (tornados, hurricanes, epic snow storms and something that is mind-bogglingly evil – the dreaded ice storm). South Eastern states get unbearably hot (100F) and humid (100%) during summer and then it chucks down like someone opened up with a heated firehose.
7.     Kansas and Missouri: Because...damn....

Those are biggies out of the way. Now the good stuff:

1.     People: Nothwithstanding what I’ve above, in the UK it is easy to get a cynical view of Americans, especially with all the clichés we hear and some of America’s more dubious exports (e.g. FOX). Some of the kindest, most keenly intellectual and remarkable people I’ve met have been Americans. You can get a clue about that from many of the people on this forum. The stories onlinebiker relates ring very true: I have simply been astounded by how friendly people can be (although I do wonder how well I would have been received in Arkansas if I were black). There are also people who truly do believe in the principles on which the USA was founded and there’s a lot of courageous people there.
2.     Your accent: More often than not, people will greet your English accent (even a Yorkshire one) with either amusement, warmth or requests for “Austin Powers” impressions (I had kids howling without fail with this). Rather sadly, I noticed noticeable mood changes when around black people in southern states once they heard my English accent – suddenly, it was all warmth and welcomes.  
3.     Cost and standard of living: It’s not quite “anything you want, in any amount, cheap as chips and 24 hours a day”, but it’s a darn sight closer in the US than it is in the UK.  Apart from places like NYC and Irvine CA, housing is bigger, land is bigger, everything’s cheaper. Petrol (or Gas) is 20% of the cost over here. And the sheer quantity and variety of stuff is mind boggling.
4.     Food: Although it is possible to get crap food (e.g. half the restaurants in Times Square; most places in Pennsylvania backwoods), food is usually good, hearty fare. The best restaurants in e US are amongst the best in the world, and even the mundane can be brilliant.
5.     Culture: We Europeans are rightly proud of our culture, but sometimes to the point of arrogance. Don’t let that blind you to the culture in the US. Sure, maybe it’s not as old (unless you go to Moundsville to see the ancient Indian pyramids), but it is every bit as vibrant, relevant and alive. Music, art, sports....it’s all not just good, but up there with the very best (some might say it’s the best).
6.     Recreation: Sorry, but American’s simply know how to have fun so much better than us English. Not taking anything too seriously means that people take things to hilarious extremes, but all with tongue firmly in cheek. Whether it’s Halloween, or those outrageous marching bands, extreme sports....everything’s done on a bigger and much funnier scale.
7.     Nature: One of the big attractions is just how much real wilderness there still is to hike and camp through. Just make sure you don’t become a “Teddy Bear’s Picnic”... Wink
8.     Weather: In SoCal, you can pretty much go around in summer clothing all year long. In most other places, there are real winters (with snow) and real summers (with sun). Novel for us English....

So, places I’d recommend: NYC, Chicago, Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas, San Francisco, SoCal, New England, and the East Coast down to Atlanta GA.

Places I’d avoid: North Florida and South Eastern states (especially if you are non-white). And West Virginia....

My god, that is fucking perfect. Thank you so much! Getting me all excited.. even though it won't be for another 2/3 years! Tongue I might go on holiday next summer to get a feel of the atmosphere Smile

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.