Possibility of moving to the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: Possibility of moving to the US
(10-02-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing about Seattle that I really liked.

You can leave the windows open at night with the lights on during the summer -- and no window screens -- and nothing happens.

If you did that here in here in Michigan the mosquitoes, gnats, black flies and midges would suck you dry in 15 minutes.

That was actually the one thing I didn't like about Alaska. Mosquito season was relatively short, but those damn things were the size of pterodactyls when they were around.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 09:58 PM
(10-02-2015 09:10 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 08:27 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  My recommendation is not doing it. If you must I recommend the Pacific Northwest. Lots of beautiful sights and mild climate.

Why would you recommend against it?

It's not that great a place to live Honestly. But the Pacific Northwest is the best area of the country if you do choose to.

Dances covered it pretty well. Lol I live just south of her in Oregon.
10-02-2015, 10:22 PM
(09-02-2015 02:09 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm writing this in order to get some advice from those living in the US or who have visited before.

I've always been fond of the US and have always felt some sort of calling like I belong there, not in the big cities but the enclosed towns and rural areas. I think the attraction is a combination of both diversity and the vast size. It just seems to maneuverable and free as an outsider.

I read Hitch-22 and was pleasantly surprised to find the same ambition that Hitch had when he was around my age. Now, I know I don't have a god damn degree in PPE from the University of Oxford but I'm soon to have a degree in Classical Civilizations... and that's good enough... right? Tongue

The problem I have is that I may just be living in a dreamland and the US may not be as welcoming to me as I hope. Along with needing to understand Visa's, the US economic situation, needing a job first etc etc

Any advice from you folks who have been travelling before and lived in foreign countries? Or maybe currently living in the US and wouldn't really recommend it?Sorry I can't really narrow this down into a single question.

Grass is always greener. Happiness isn't where you live, unless it is a third world country or fascist state. America has some good points but we also have problems too. We have a lots of racism, moreso in the middle of the country and more rural areas. We have a lousy minimum wage and stagnate wages not keeping up with the cost of living. We have a republican party bent on taking us back to the dark ages.

Your more liberal areas are the west coast and north east. We are however very staunch on protection of speech and this liberal (me) takes issue with other social liberals who get too politically correct.

There is no utopia. If you live in a place where you have relatively the same freedoms then the issue is the economy. I'd think more about cost and viability and be pragmatic about it.

Outside those issues there are certainly lots of beautiful places in America. I am fond of palm trees and beaches. I love San Diego and San Francisco and parts of LA. I love Miami. <-------Haven't been to any of those places in decades though.

I love Tokyo and Japan and if I had the brains to learn Japanese and the means to live there I would love it. Clean and safe and beautiful.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2015, 09:44 AM
(10-02-2015 04:18 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 03:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It's hard to come up with negatives regarding the Pacific Northwest. We don't have massive snow storms, nor hurricanes, nor tornadoes, or gynormous floods. The summers are heaven on Earth. Truly! We don't have those muggy summers that make you feel as if you want to crawl into a refrigerator and die. We have stunningly beautiful mountains which are visible from the city I live in, Portland, Oregon.

[Image: 96651-004-ACBB23D4.jpg]

Portland is accepting of oddball people. We have amazing restaurants and, get this, we have a light rail system that goes to most parts of the city. Actually, there are quite a few Brits living here. I hear a British accent from time to time so they must like Portland.

But one thing we don't have too much of is a bunch of nutty religious people. Yeah, there are some but not like in the Southern parts of the US. I simply couldn't live in the South for that very reason. I would go stark raving mad.

Within an hours drive you can be in the high desert too.

[Image: Fort_Rock_(Lake_County,_Oregon_scenic_im...A0077).jpg]

We also have a huge river that goes through the city. Every worthwhile city should have a river going through it. This makes a city look so much nicer because of the bridges and the reflective nature of water.

We also have the smallest city park in the world. Gotta love that!

[Image: smallest_park_in_the_world_02.jpg]

Let's be roomies Tongue

Big Grin Nurse, I forgot to mention.....

There's no sales tax either!

We lived in Los Angeles prior to this and the air is so much cleaner here. I discovered breathing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-02-2015, 09:50 AM
(10-02-2015 09:58 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 09:10 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Why would you recommend against it?

It's not that great a place to live Honestly. But the Pacific Northwest is the best area of the country if you do choose to.

Dances covered it pretty well. Lol I live just south of her in Oregon.

Hobbit, do you live in Salem or Corvallis? Both places are really nice. Oregon is a great place to raise children, you can pop over to the coast with Baby Hobbit and enjoy the sea and sand. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-02-2015, 03:33 AM
There is an old saying, wherever you go, you go. If you think a new place will make you happy, stay at home cause it won't. There is only one thing you can find better outside UK, is the weather, everything else is what you make it. Trust me, I have seen in time gone past too many POMS here in Australia looking for something they couldn't find in England, and NEVER found it here either.
And the weather, well as of today two cyclone tore though part of Australia. So before you set out on you journey, there will be a trade off, in order to get something new, you also have to give up something.
But for me personally, never the US.Sorry.

First, GOD created MAN, then Woman then Temptation then Confusion.Sadcryface