Possible first contact? Not in my lifetime BUT!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Possible first contact? Not in my lifetime BUT!
In my previous post about Kepler, I showed excitement over the unprecedented number of exo- planets found in such a short period of time. As an amateur scientist, this is amazing to me , but I am a realist and I don't feel that we will make first contact in my lifetime. Never the less What I do feel is possible in my lifetime, is the discovery of an exo-planet that most certainly harbors life of any kind, and even animal life. This is absolutely possible! In fact, it almost seems it could be any day now! What do you think?

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
RE: Possible first contact? Not in my lifetime BUT!
Considering we found fossilized bacteria on Mars, I would be a fool to dismiss this possibility, because evolution wouldn't just be limited to our world (unless another planet developed a perfect species that doesn't mutate).
02-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I thought the fossilized bacteria on Mars was a hoax or a mistake or something. I'm pretty sure the the whole thing was debunked.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Then I am basing my hypothesis on myths! God I am becoming a theist!

Either way, as a naturalist I believe that there is no divine impact needed for life to originate.
[+] 2 users Like TheKetola's post
02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
NASA on the Mars bacteria - doesn't seem to be a hoax :
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

Also, yeah , life is more than probable.
There is speculation that a probe sent to Europa may find something more advanced lifeforms(more advanced than bacteria) under the ice.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
(02-04-2011 01:23 PM)BnW Wrote:  I thought the fossilized bacteria on Mars was a hoax or a mistake or something. I'm pretty sure the the whole thing was debunked.

Still, They are finding Water on not only mars but Saturn's larger Moons and I think possibly one of Jupiter's as well.

Also, it is now believed that Mars was once a living planet, With large Bodies of water, Breathable Atmosphere, Flowing Rivers Etc. perhaps a Billion years ago or less.

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh yay! I was not the victim of an outdated hoax!
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
(02-04-2011 01:50 PM)Chesstime Wrote:  Still, They are finding Water on mars
[Image: WaterOnMars2_gcc.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 4 users Like Observer's post
02-04-2011, 11:22 PM
If we find life outside earth in our lifetimes it will be from a near by source like Mars or Europa. Planets around other stars are just to far away for us to get probes there and answers back in the forseeable future.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Finding animal life in our lifetime? I find that unfortunately doubtful. Finding evidence for simple single celled organisms? That seems realistic and when the definitive proof is found for it I can assure you that it will be on the cover of every major science journal and popular science magazine. I get excited just thinking about it!!!!!!

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post