Possible new Saturn moon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Possible new Saturn moon
Hey all, this is my first post on the forum and I thought i'd do my first post with some interesting news. There is a possible new moon that is developing and being born on the rings of Saturn.
Story Here

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like JDog554's post
15-04-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: Possible new Saturn moon
(15-04-2014 09:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Hey all, this is my first post on the forum and I thought i'd do my first post with some interesting news. There is a possible new moon that is developing and being born on the rings of Saturn.
Story Here

Welcome!! Great article, thanks for sharing Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
15-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Hello and welcome Shy

That is a pretty fun article Smile

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
15-04-2014, 09:31 PM
(15-04-2014 09:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 09:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Hey all, this is my first post on the forum and I thought i'd do my first post with some interesting news. There is a possible new moon that is developing and being born on the rings of Saturn.
Story Here

Welcome!! Great article, thanks for sharing Big Grin

Thank you and your welcome! I find it fascinating as they said it could help us understand how planet's and moon's form.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-04-2014, 09:33 PM
(15-04-2014 09:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Hello and welcome Shy

That is a pretty fun article Smile

Thank you and it is very educational. I'm a nerd so anything technological or sciencey fascinates me easily Smile.

15-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Fascinating stuff... As if Saturn needs any more moons. Big Grin

Its thought the rings themselves are the remains of several destroyed moons.

To think of all the time astronomers have focused on the planets, and not given much thought to their moons, yet they're turning out to be far more diverse and fascinating, and may be the best chance of extraterrestrial life in our back yard.

In my opinion, exo-moons are our best chance for habitable worlds... If our Solar System is anything to go by, this galaxy should be bursting with moons. And the great thing is, moons don't necessarily need to be in their parent star's habitable zone. A moon can be a very long way from its parent star and still have sufficient heat for liquid water... provided it has a sizable parent planet to give it a gravitational tug and squeeze.

All of the giant planets in our Solar System have a large collection of satellites... And giants seem to be the most common type of exo-planet. There could be 5 or 6 times as many good sized moons!

But, at present we're lucky to detect planets bigger than Earth... So it'll be a while before we can pick up moons.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
16-04-2014, 07:25 AM
(15-04-2014 09:53 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Fascinating stuff... As if Saturn needs any more moons. Big Grin

Its thought the rings themselves are the remains of several destroyed moons.

To think of all the time astronomers have focused on the planets, and not given much thought to their moons, yet they're turning out to be far more diverse and fascinating, and may be the best chance of extraterrestrial life in our back yard.

In my opinion, exo-moons are our best chance for habitable worlds... If our Solar System is anything to go by, this galaxy should be bursting with moons. And the great thing is, moons don't necessarily need to be in their parent star's habitable zone. A moon can be a very long way from its parent star and still have sufficient heat for liquid water... provided it has a sizable parent planet to give it a gravitational tug and squeeze.

All of the giant planets in our Solar System have a large collection of satellites... And giants seem to be the most common type of exo-planet. There could be 5 or 6 times as many good sized moons!

But, at present we're lucky to detect planets bigger than Earth... So it'll be a while before we can pick up moons.

I agree and it seems like everyday our technology is advancing somehow. I believe in the near future we might have the technology to discover bigger planets and moons and really expand our knowledge of our universe.

16-04-2014, 07:41 AM
welcome to TTA!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-04-2014, 07:42 AM
(16-04-2014 07:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  welcome to TTA!!

Thank you!

16-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the link, and welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user