Possible or impossible? this is the question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: Possible or impossible? this is the question!
(11-05-2016 07:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think it is fascinating.
I'm very interested in why believers believe and why it is so hard to to point out the things that are inconsistent with reality.

The held beliefs are so strong, so enduring.
People can listen to scientific knowledge and they simply reinterpret their religious text or deny science.

But ultimately it comes down to "you can't prove that god doesn't exist"
And No we can't. The idea of god is unprovable and unfalsifiable. It is a poorly formed idea. We can't address stories in the bible because they aren't to be taken literally. Ultimately we have nothing to address other than point out that there is no evidence for a magical god.

A real positive from these conversations with Alla is that Alla is learning something about science, something about evolution. Which is cool.

It makes no sense to try and convince Alla that his/her god doesn't exist.

I like debating theists, not to convert them, just to see how they reason and justify their beliefs and to clarify why I'm an atheist. I'm not trying to convince Alla of anything, I really want her to learn more about evolution but when we present well thought out and researched information she simply ignores it and asks dumb questions that make it painfully obvious that she didn't read anything we wrote or went to any of the links we provided to read more and get's hung up on semantics and says "Well, we don't know that." Even though we do know these things because of the mountain of evidence we have collected.

It just goes over her head and I just fear we are wasting time, it's like talking to a brick wall. Yes it's interesting to talk about all these scientific theories and all but in the end the wall won't care or remember what we said, it's still just a wall. Alla will always just be Alla even though she pretends she cares and wants to learn, she doesn't, she just wants to act like her beliefs are valid when they're not.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
12-05-2016, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 09:24 AM by Commonsensei.)
3/4 the time she doesn't even know what she wrote herself.

Even in the same thread or paragraph it's riddled with contradictions.

She'll say things like this.

(10-05-2016 11:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, because God did not reveal to us HOW He creates things, I have no problem with accepting evidence of evolution.
Many theists have problem with accepting evidence of evolution because they think that the book of Genesis(first chapters) tells them all about the creation. But it is not.
God revealed that all flesh has spirit inside. But not every spirit is created in the image and likeness of God.
Physical body of evolved ape can look exactly the same as body of Adam. But spirit of evolved ape is not in image of God. Spirit of Adam is in image of God.
That is why Adam is the first SON of God on earth. Eve is first DAUGHTER of God on earth.

Talking like Adam and Eve where a thing. Then go and say.
(11-05-2016 12:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 12:21 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Adam and Eve never existed ... No matter how much you WANT it to be. No matter what you FEEL.
I agree with you.

Shocking

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-05-2016, 09:54 AM
(12-05-2016 08:39 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  3/4 the time she doesn't even know what she wrote herself.

(10-05-2016 11:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, because God did not reveal to us HOW He creates things, I have no problem with accepting evidence of evolution.
Many theists have problem with accepting evidence of evolution because they think that the book of Genesis(first chapters) tells them all about the creation. But it is not.
God revealed that all flesh has spirit inside. But not every spirit is created in the image and likeness of God.
Physical body of evolved ape can look exactly the same as body of Adam. But spirit of evolved ape is not in image of God. Spirit of Adam is in image of God.
That is why Adam is the first SON of God on earth. Eve is first DAUGHTER of God on earth.

(11-05-2016 12:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  I agree with you.

Shocking

It all depends on who's writing Alla that day. (My contention is that she's a committee-written Poe) I think a couple of the Alla writers are not conscientious enough to read the others' responses, and that's why there's such a lack of consistency in diction, tone, and substance.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
12-05-2016, 09:57 AM
(12-05-2016 09:54 AM)julep Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 08:39 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  3/4 the time she doesn't even know what she wrote herself.

Shocking

It all depends on who's writing Alla that day. (My contention is that she's a committee-written Poe) I think a couple of the Alla writers are not conscientious enough to read the others' responses, and that's why there's such a lack of consistency in diction, tone, and substance.

I noticed that too.
12-05-2016, 09:59 AM
That's so odd.
12-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Then there is me who just thinks shes a crazy bitch with too many voices in her head to keep strait.
*shrug*

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
12-05-2016, 12:42 PM
(12-05-2016 10:06 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Then there is me who just thinks shes a crazy bitch with too many voices in her head to keep strait.
*shrug*

Yeah but you say that about everyone.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
12-05-2016, 08:10 PM
(11-05-2016 12:21 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Adam and Eve never existed...

Spider-man never existed.

The Easter Bunny never existed.

Harry Potter never existed.

No matter how much you WANT it to be. No matter what you FEEL.

At no point in time did a human just pop into exsistance. It was a transition. Homo heidelbergensis (#1) didn't just give birth to a homo spaien(#2)
one day.
(1)
[Image: 5071085511_ba1eb84a59_o.jpg]

(2)
[Image: homo-sapien-sapiens-70782506]

Tiny changes. Long periods of time.

WE RIGHT NOW ARE TRANSITIONAL FORMS! We will never see the change because we will be long dead before anything becomes evident.

If you want to see what the first "human" looks like her name is Lucy.

[Image: Lucy-look.jpg]

We would also have to account for other human species. That did live next to us in these early periods.

Homo neanderthalenis coexisted during these early periods.

[Image: Neander%20Image%20Two.jpg]

Homo Rhodesiensis
[Image: MEH_Homo_rhodesiensis_29-04-2012_11-39-42_2592x3888.JPG]

Homo Erectus
[Image: erectus_JC_Recon_Head_CC_f_sq.jpg?itok=USi9mPdW]

Different human species often over lapping in time. All blood lines connect back to Lucy.

Off topic, but that Neanderthal and homo Rhodesiensis are HOT.
12-05-2016, 10:10 PM
(12-05-2016 12:42 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 10:06 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Then there is me who just thinks shes a crazy bitch with too many voices in her head to keep strait.
*shrug*

Yeah but you say that about everyone.

That's not true, I think that Whiskey fellow is rather nice!

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
13-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Homo Erectus has got to be the gayest of all the homos.

Where is the Hetero Erectus ?

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post