Possible or impossible? this is the question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2016, 09:59 PM
RE: Possible or impossible? this is the question!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-05-2016, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2016 11:09 PM by SitaSky.)
I think Alla is just getting confused with the terms "impossible" and mixing it up with "improbable". I mean technically anything is possible but even if we were to grant that Adam and Eve may have been real, as in two people all humans descend from, the biblical account is still impossible according to science and more importantly it's improbable.

I mean right now a clown could walk into the room you're in and do a little dance and then walk out, never to be seen again, that's actually possible. But is it probable? Unless you have a clown roommate it's not probable in the slightest. It's possible we are a dream of a god living in another dimension, once he wakes up our existence will poof into nothingness, but is that probable? No it's not, so yes Adam and Eve could have been real if you want to be all existential about it and believe anything that can be imagined can exist somehow even in our imaginations but that's still not reality and an old book talking about Adam and Eve doesn't make them somehow possible, just like an old book talking about Cinderella going to the ball in a gown created for her by a fairy godmother isn't possible just because it was written down and even if it was possible, it's still not probable since no one has ever witnessed magic, fairies, etc.

So yeah, I guess nothing is impossible but Adam and Eve, the biblical account of Adam and Eve, is not possible or probable, maybe in another dimension on another planet in another galaxy far, far away but not in this reality we are currently living in. So, Alla do you want us to accept that perhaps Adam and Eve are not impossible beings because they could've existed in another dimension that has only fictional characters living there that have been dreamt up by human kind along with the Care Bears and Capn Crunch? Then we can have a discussion, but if you want us to believe they actually existed on our planet and we all descend from them somehow then no it's still impossible in our reality, and also highly improbable too.
[+] 7 users Like SitaSky's post
08-05-2016, 11:23 PM
(08-05-2016 12:04 PM)Ace Wrote:  Adam got lonely so god took out one of his ribs and made him a girlfriend.... one of his bones is now a person

Adam had it easy ... most women cost men an arm and a leg.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-05-2016, 11:29 PM
(08-05-2016 05:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  P.S. I like the way you troll me. I ask you good questions and you don't give me good answers. Big Grin

Professional courtesy?
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-05-2016, 12:33 AM
(08-05-2016 07:20 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, it is established that modern human physical body is a result of the evolution. It was very long process. It took billions of years.
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.
But how does it show that biblical Adam and Eve are impossible?
As a theist I want to understand.

this should explain why
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
09-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Alla - do you believe that fictional story characters may possibly exist on other planets in our universe or maybe even in other universes ?

Is this impossible ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-05-2016, 02:50 AM
I've written a little story about Johnny baking a cake.

Little Johnny was 5 years old and he loved cake.
One day he took some dirt and mixed it with water to make a mud cake.

He placed it in the oven and waited. After a short while he opened the oven and found a real cake. He was so happy. He took the cake out of the oven and ate as much as his little tummy could hold.

The end.

Questions
Did this really happen ?
Why is it impossible that a mud cake would turn into a real cake ?
Why is that so hard to believe that this could really happen ?

You've read the story, so it must be true. It's all written down in front of you.
God inspired me to write this story, so why are you questioning gods word ?
Of course this happened. It's perfectly believable.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
09-05-2016, 05:50 AM
(08-05-2016 07:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  ....................

So, we don't know what author of the book meant when he wrote that man was formed from the dust of earth. We have no idea.

I was thinking about this: there was a man who lived 3,400 years ago and he had knowledge from God that this God formed Adam's physical body.
God showed it to him. God showed to him some science. How could that man explain the science to those who lived in his times? How could he himself understand the science?
Did God WANT men to know this science from Him? Or did God want men to figure it out on their own because they have brains and ability and it is GOOD FOR MEN to figure things outs?

P.S. what is dust of the ground? what is this organized from?

And yet the Bible instructs us to "lean not on our own understanding". Curious.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-05-2016, 05:54 AM
(08-05-2016 07:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 07:24 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I don't understand what you are trying to do.
- If you are a troll, you sure are a dedicated one.
- If not, ... *sigh* We do try to explain to you why the story of Adam and Eve does not make sense. You do not have to agree with us or anything. At least make it clear that you've even read what we've all said. If you are trying to convert us, it is not working very well.

I am not troll. I am theist who wants to understand why biblical Adam and Eve are impossible.
How can you say the story doesn't make sense if you have no idea what the author of the book meant?

I've told you why it is impossible but you just ignore it. So obviously you don't want to understand.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-05-2016, 07:10 AM
(08-05-2016 07:18 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 07:16 PM)Alla Wrote:  Good question. Did the author of the book tell us?

You know the answer. Stop pretending you don't know.
Of course, of course. Chuck Norris is the answer. You don't have to remind me Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post