Possible tarantula incoming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 01:41 PM
RE: Possible tarantula incoming
(22-05-2016 12:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  Some bites are like a bee sting.

Which is fine, I suppose unless you're allergic to bees.

I would imagine there must be people allergic to spiders too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2016, 01:52 PM
[Image: 2853723335_44fdafb8fa_o.jpg?w=700&h=525]

Actually, I agree that it isn't anything to really worry about

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
22-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Your neighbors dug it up? Tarantulas live under ground? I don't like big spiders so I'm not too thrilled when I see a big ol spider. It's "run away!" time for me.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-05-2016, 02:05 PM
(22-05-2016 01:39 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 01:25 PM)julep Wrote:  Move immediately!

O.K. Big GrinBig Grin

By the way, Julep, my son and grandson live in Massachusetts and you have Eastern Diamondbacks there; they are the deadliest snake in North America. [The coral snake has the deadliest neurotoxic venom but they are pretty docile.]

Gasp

Now where's the smilie for someone standing on a chair, screaming?

When I was a kid (in the south) we had the occasional water moccasin show up on our driveway, that was bad enough.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-05-2016, 02:14 PM
(22-05-2016 01:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Your neighbors dug it up? Tarantulas live under ground? I don't like big spiders so I'm not too thrilled when I see a big ol spider. It's "run away!" time for me.

They do a lot of construction stuff and they disturb the critters.

22-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Tarantulas (and snakes, for that matter) take advantage of whatever opening is available, but I don't think they dig their own holes.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-05-2016, 02:25 PM
(22-05-2016 12:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 12:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Don't recall where you are, but if you are in the US, their fangs aren't hard enough to break your skin unless you give them some time to gnaw, and that would be on softer flesh external to clothing, like on a forearm.

In California.

Notwithstanding imports, tarantulas are not poisonous. In parts of South America and Africa, some of them are.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-05-2016, 02:26 PM
I lived in CA for years. Had a tarantula as a pet for a couple of weeks until Mom discovered him. The ones out there are very mild-mannered.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-05-2016, 02:42 PM
(22-05-2016 12:35 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  So... my neighbor recently dug up what they think is a tarantula. Could be another spider and they mistook it for one, but there's the possibility it's a tarantula. This has happened once before and the tarantula did make its way into our bathroom. Mainly I'm wondering about advice on tarantulas. Tongue

What part of the globe to you inhabit? Tarantulas have hair, I believe that is the difference between them and other spiders, In Panama there was one on the road which had been run over and squoze out. A 9 inch dinner plate would not have covered it entirely. THe ones we had in Arkansas were brown, those here in the Dominican Republic as those in the aforementioned Panama are black, and hairy, don't forget hairy. They will jump at you the natives say, though most experts will say that they do not jump towards a person. It is the same old thing they say about bears and wolves etc... "They are more afraid of you than you are of them," but I've never seen one of them scream and run away when they see a person, but have seen people young and old, white or darker, male and female run screaming when they see one.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
22-05-2016, 02:46 PM
They look super scary. Big hairy creepy thing, strutting slowly around as if it's the biggest badass on Earth.

They really are easygoing critters though. A wasp nest on the eaves or mice in the attic would be way more threatening. For one outside you can go indoors, have a glass of water and wait for it to find a place to hide. For one indoors you can put some boxes on their sides around it and wait for it to get in one, then gently move the box outside and set it down.

Also, you could take some pictures and post them here. I kinda like spiders. I avoid disturbing them even indoors.