Possible tarantula incoming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 09:19 PM
RE: Possible tarantula incoming
(22-05-2016 12:35 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  So... my neighbor recently dug up what they think is a tarantula. Could be another spider and they mistook it for one, but there's the possibility it's a tarantula. This has happened once before and the tarantula did make its way into our bathroom. Mainly I'm wondering about advice on tarantulas. Tongue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

A few of them will fix those tarantulas good and quick.

(This user does not take responsibility for tarantula hawk related injuries; handle species are your own immensely painful risk)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-05-2016, 09:35 PM
[Image: $_35.JPG]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
22-05-2016, 09:50 PM
(22-05-2016 09:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 01:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Brown Recluse on the other hand .... just wants to be left alone.

I'd be happy with tarantulas. Scared up a good sized one in the sink the other day, didn't take the time to identify it 100%, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a wolf spider.

Petty common in these parts but I've lived here most my life and have rarely seen them. Still, with kids running around it's a little unnerving.

I meant a recluse, not a tarantula, rereading my post, it was vague on that detail.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-05-2016, 10:09 PM
(22-05-2016 09:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  They're awesome for roasting if you can get past the irrational psychological barrier and let yourself enjoy it.

I remember seeing a documentary many years ago where an Australian Aborigine (it was a long time ago, it may have been a South American guy) roasted up a bunch of stuff he caught. One item was a spider. He bundled it up in leaves, cracked it open and ate it. As a crowning touch, he used the fangs as a toothpick. Classic Hollywood made-up schtick, but still memorable.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-05-2016, 11:37 AM
I used to live with a guy who had two pets -- a python (which had the run of the apartment) and a tarantula (which lived in a small glass terrarium). The tarantula almost never moved except at feeding time. One time he wanted to photograph it, and put it out on our cement patio. Of course, then it wouldn't hold still! Maybe it sensed freedom.
23-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Do not, i repeat: do not let it get anywhere near radioactive waste!

[Image: tara.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
23-05-2016, 01:55 PM
(22-05-2016 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Fire works.

Thumbsup

[Image: tumblr_m96wn6JDCG1rr3l61o1_500.png]

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
23-05-2016, 02:02 PM
(22-05-2016 02:42 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 12:35 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  So... my neighbor recently dug up what they think is a tarantula. Could be another spider and they mistook it for one, but there's the possibility it's a tarantula. This has happened once before and the tarantula did make its way into our bathroom. Mainly I'm wondering about advice on tarantulas. Tongue

What part of the globe to you inhabit? Tarantulas have hair, I believe that is the difference between them and other spiders, In Panama there was one on the road which had been run over and squoze out. A 9 inch dinner plate would not have covered it entirely. THe ones we had in Arkansas were brown, those here in the Dominican Republic as those in the aforementioned Panama are black, and hairy, don't forget hairy. They will jump at you the natives say, though most experts will say that they do not jump towards a person. It is the same old thing they say about bears and wolves etc... "They are more afraid of you than you are of them," but I've never seen one of them scream and run away when they see a person, but have seen people young and old, white or darker, male and female run screaming when they see one.

Where in Arkansas you from? My brother used to live right outside Beebe AR, out in the country. His house was surrounded by cedar trees, in which apparently the damn things like to nest, if I'm not misinformed. But these were black all over. No other color to them, but I coulda swore their eyes glowed red like a demon's. Confused
Laugh out load Tongue

23-05-2016, 02:26 PM
(23-05-2016 02:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 02:42 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  What part of the globe to you inhabit? Tarantulas have hair, I believe that is the difference between them and other spiders, In Panama there was one on the road which had been run over and squoze out. A 9 inch dinner plate would not have covered it entirely. THe ones we had in Arkansas were brown, those here in the Dominican Republic as those in the aforementioned Panama are black, and hairy, don't forget hairy. They will jump at you the natives say, though most experts will say that they do not jump towards a person. It is the same old thing they say about bears and wolves etc... "They are more afraid of you than you are of them," but I've never seen one of them scream and run away when they see a person, but have seen people young and old, white or darker, male and female run screaming when they see one.

Where in Arkansas you from? My brother used to live right outside Beebe AR, out in the country. His house was surrounded by cedar trees, in which apparently the damn things like to nest, if I'm not misinformed. But these were black all over. No other color to them, but I coulda swore their eyes glowed red like a demon's. Confused
Laugh out load Tongue

Did they try to talk you into eating a magic grapefruit from an enchanted tree?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
23-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(23-05-2016 02:26 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 02:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Where in Arkansas you from? My brother used to live right outside Beebe AR, out in the country. His house was surrounded by cedar trees, in which apparently the damn things like to nest, if I'm not misinformed. But these were black all over. No other color to them, but I coulda swore their eyes glowed red like a demon's. Confused
Laugh out load Tongue

Did they try to talk you into eating a magic grapefruit from an enchanted tree?

No. Laugh out load Tongue
But they are hard to kill. Confused
Me & my younger brother dropped a heavy ass rock, loosed from the wall enclosing the walkway around the house, on top of it. Kicked the rock back over, and homeboy was still alive, and began crawling off like he was pissed. I immediately fled the scene as if the devil was after me. Bechased