Post Election Thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Post Election Thoughts
(10-12-2012 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:04 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Okay, let's take this from a different approach. You obviously see public education as a good thing and support the cause, I am fine with that, it's your virtues, I will extend my respect for you by not stopping you from acting and supporting what you deem good, and will not use violence to get you to do things my way. Would you extend the same respect to me for disagreeing with you? by not advocating me being thrown in jail for not supporting what you support?
We live in the society of others and have a representational democratic republic. We have laws that we agree to abide by. Taxes are the price of a civilized society.
I don't agree with how all of our tax dollars are spent, but I don't interpret that as 'the violence of the state'. We live in relationship to others and we all have to compromise to get the benefits of civilization.

There are mechanisms for changing those laws and the lawmakers. Vote, campaign, run for office, etc.

You can opt out, but you need to opt out entirely.
So do you agree with me being thrown in jail for disagreeing with you? I don't think you should be thrown in jail for doing something that I don't support.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
(10-12-2012 11:18 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  We live in the society of others and have a representational democratic republic. We have laws that we agree to abide by. Taxes are the price of a civilized society.
I don't agree with how all of our tax dollars are spent, but I don't interpret that as 'the violence of the state'. We live in relationship to others and we all have to compromise to get the benefits of civilization.

There are mechanisms for changing those laws and the lawmakers. Vote, campaign, run for office, etc.

You can opt out, but you need to opt out entirely.
So do you agree with me being thrown in jail for disagreeing with you? I don't think you should be thrown in jail for doing something that I don't support.
You get thrown in jail for breaking the law. Like I said, if you don't like the laws, there are mechanisms for change.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM
(10-12-2012 11:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:18 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  So do you agree with me being thrown in jail for disagreeing with you? I don't think you should be thrown in jail for doing something that I don't support.
You get thrown in jail for breaking the law. Like I said, if you don't like the laws, there are mechanisms for change.
Right, but then I would be infringing on other people If I make laws for stuff I want. As I said, I don't want guns pointed at anyone.

So you seriously think I should be put in jail for not agreeing with you? And that my solution is moving away from where I was born and raised?
10-12-2012, 11:24 AM
(10-12-2012 11:23 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  You get thrown in jail for breaking the law. Like I said, if you don't like the laws, there are mechanisms for change.
Right, but then I would be infringing on other people If I make laws for stuff I want. As I said, I don't want guns pointed at anyone.

So you seriously think I should be put in jail for not agreeing with you? And that my solution is moving away from where I was born and raised?
No, you go to jail for breaking the law. Don't like it? Work to change it.

10-12-2012, 11:29 AM
(10-12-2012 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:23 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Right, but then I would be infringing on other people If I make laws for stuff I want. As I said, I don't want guns pointed at anyone.

No, you go to jail for breaking the law. Don't like it? Work to change it.
Right, well I can't pretend to have a civil conversation with you if you final solution is me being put in jail for disagreeing with you. Bye.
10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
(10-12-2012 11:29 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, you go to jail for breaking the law. Don't like it? Work to change it.
Right, well I can't pretend to have a civil conversation with you if you final solution is me being put in jail for disagreeing with you. Bye.

It's not me you have to be concerned with, it's the laws that are your concern.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
(10-12-2012 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:29 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Right, well I can't pretend to have a civil conversation with you if you final solution is me being put in jail for disagreeing with you. Bye.

It's not me you have to be concerned with, it's the laws that are your concern.
Chas, this is a lost battle. Anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with FZU is a bully and/or wants to see him in jail.

[Image: 300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
10-12-2012, 11:59 AM
(10-12-2012 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's not me you have to be concerned with, it's the laws that are your concern.
Chas, this is a lost battle. Anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with FZU is a bully and/or wants to see him in jail.

Do you agree with me being put in jail for not paying for services that you support?
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
(10-12-2012 11:59 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  Chas, this is a lost battle. Anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with FZU is a bully and/or wants to see him in jail.

Do you agree with me being put in jail for not paying for services that you support?
That is not a rational question. It matters not what I or you support as far as being subject to the law.

If you don't pay your lawful taxes, you will be subject to lawful penalties. This is what happens in a society that has agreed to be governed by laws.

If you don't like the laws, work to change them.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
(10-12-2012 11:59 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Do you agree with me being put in jail for not paying for services that you support?
I agree with people (don't give a fuck if it's you, or anyone else) being put in jail if this what the law prescribes. If a country has laws my conscience doesn't agree with (e.g. against homosexuality, etc.), I just won't live in such a country.

When in Rome... It is as simple as that.

If you do not want to follow the rules of the place where you reside, I suggest you set up your own country. Until then, you don't really have much choice.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Zealand politics, who's pumped for this years election? earmuffs 69 640 26-06-2014 12:10 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Jane Elliot and deconstructing post-racial society BrokenQuill92 0 128 23-12-2013 12:01 AM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  "Just wars are the exception, not the rule." Thoughts? PoolBoyG 15 433 15-11-2013 03:27 PM
Last Post: ClydeLee
Bug I want your thoughts and opinions on this video: PoolBoyG 42 953 24-09-2013 06:38 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Australian Federal Election 2013 Hafnof 1 135 28-08-2013 05:39 PM
Last Post: bemore
  What to do if the losing side of the election doesn't want to play ball. I and I 1 319 17-04-2013 02:04 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Post Tax Day statistics and infographics on Taxes TheBeardedDude 5 299 17-04-2013 06:00 AM
Last Post: Full Circle