Post Mortem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2011, 05:05 AM

Rainbow Post Mortem
I don't know if anyone opened this subject (if someone has, I'm sorry). I would like to know what you, fellow atheists, think of life after death. Obviously, heaven and/or hell aren't real and my opinion is that when we die it's done. No reincarnation, no higher place, nothing, once our heart stops beating and our brain stops sending singals we are dead and gone. But, then again, I do believe in ghosts. Not the paranomal stories about them, just that there is some kind of energy around us that we can't explain. It's kind of hard for me when I think about death. No matter what we do while we're alive we all end up the some, dead, buried, rotten ang gone. Food for bugs and worms. It would be better if we could, at least, stick around to scare people we don't like. So, what do you think? Ghosts, death?
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 08:02 AM
RE: Post Mortem
No ghosts that anyone has been able to pin down and prove - and not for lack of trying! Some spooky blurry lights in photographs is about the extent of ghostly activity.

People have always been reluctant to leave this planet, and reluctant to let their loved ones leave. We are blessed and cursed with a big brain: long memory, vivid imagination, intricate language in which to tell stories. Many and varied stories from various cultural sources. You can mix and match your paranormal phenomena from a lovely big warehouse.

After a few decades of relative sanity and reason, the North American public has reverted to superstition; prayer and haunting in place of actually solving actual problems.... So, you have plenty of company. Just maybe not here.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I never understood the fear of death... Everyone dies pretty much every night when they are asleep and they loose consciousness. This is why dying in your sleep is the most preferred way to go. The great thing about not existing is you don't have to experience not existing. The idea of consciously living forever scares me...

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  So, what do you think? Ghosts, death?

Ghost no, death yes.

Personally, I think being stuck as a semi-transparent being with no prospect for ever really interacting with anything ever again would suck.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
you guys have apparently never seen ghost dad.

Just gotta stay in the shadows

Damn that was a great movie from my childhood.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
There are no ghosts in my beliefs. People can see things that cannot be defined, so the human subconscious tries to define it, and sent the data to the conscious mind. A passing car leaves a reflection on a wall. No "hidden" image, just a reflection of light bouncing off the mirror through the window, onto the wall.

A superstitious person may believe that they have seen a ghost, so their mind redraws the image that it seen, and transfers it to memory. Then that person will remember seeing whatever, or whoever they had in their mind at that time. The sad part is that they will believe that they actually saw this.

I've seen more than my fair share of weird shit in my life too. I've seen things I cannot explain, but I don't stoop to superstition as a crutch.

Similar to:
Deja Vu;
This occurs when you walk into a place that you have never been before, only to instantly remember exact details about the place.

- best description I've ever heard -

It's just a brain fart. The current images entered your sub conscious mind and memory before the image reached your conscious mind. Therefore, you actually "remember" being here, seeing this all before, even though you never have been here.

There's no way anyone can convince me of an after life. No heaven or hell, no purgatory, no rebirth, no swiss cheese jewish zombies with rose stem crowns, just Death! Get over it, the game of "Life" is over. Take a "dirt nap" that will last forever, and you will not wake up anywhere. No part of you will be "floating around" unless you die on a sinking ship that explodes, then maybe...

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  But, then again, I do believe in ghosts.
Hueston, we have a problem!

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  I don't know if anyone opened this subject (if someone has, I'm sorry). I would like to know what you, fellow atheists, think of life after death. Obviously, heaven and/or hell aren't real and my opinion is that when we die it's done. No reincarnation, no higher place, nothing, once our heart stops beating and our brain stops sending singals we are dead and gone.

Yeah, that.

(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  But, then again, I do believe in ghosts. Not the paranomal stories about them, just that there is some kind of energy around us that we can't explain.

If you mean by "ghosts" the reverberations of our presence rippling through those not yet dead and gone, then yes.

(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  Food for bugs and worms.

Cremation feels less offensive.

(06-07-2011 05:05 AM)Blue_red Wrote:  It would be better if we could, at least, stick around to scare people we don't like.

That's what offspring are for. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-07-2011, 12:50 AM
I think my beliefs are fairly standard for the atheistic way of thinking. After death is the same state as before birth. I don't see why people find that at all depressing or scary though. We're all just part of the earth and when we die we are just changing states again, being broken down and merged into other life forms. We're all part of a big cycle, just enjoy it while it's your turn to live!

I suppose people who believe in reincarnation have got it right to an extent. I mean, not the soul breaking free and settling in another body, but the body itself gets absorbed into the earth, some of your atoms end up in a blade of grass, cow eats grass, human eats cow....(but no, I don't think atoms carry memories with them, past life regression is nonsense).

I do feel slightly annoyed that I won't ever get to be a smug post-mortem asshole saying I told you so to all the believers who aren't where they expected to be! Big Grin

blasphemy fan hit the nail on the head with the ghost thing. I don't see any reason to believe it's anything other than tricks of the light, overactive imaginations, etc.
07-07-2011, 04:55 AM
I see death as nonexistence just like before you were born. For some reason the human mind (at least mine) has trouble comprehending no longer existing, and I do dread it. that being said, much as I would like to not face nonexistence, I cannot being myself to believe that consciousness somehow survives death because I've seen no credible evidence that such a thing is true.

I think ghosts are just superstition, a projection of fear by our society and are nothing more than make believe.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes nontheocrat's post