Post-Mortem Plans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Post-Mortem Plans?
I'm currently torn between being an organ donor and offering my body up for science when I die. Any suggestions on which would be the better option, ethically? Personally, I don't care what happens to my body when I'm gone--but I'd like to be the most helpful I can be, and I'm torn as to which one would be the wiser choice.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 03:37 AM
RE: Post-Mortem Plans?
Hmmmm.. I don't really care what happens to me after I die either. But really, thats tough... I would say that scientists can use my body if it becomes useful to them for research but being an organ donor takes priority.
I think you have to consider the options.
As an organ donor, you will potentially save one or more lives, yet donating your body to science could be beneficial to millions - although unlikely.
I would keep your decision in mind and think about it every few years or so, or when something new happens that may change your mind.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
28-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Organ donation is definitely the way to go if possible, however if you live do a decent age they may not need any of your organs. So as far as donation I'd be as specific as possible. Instead of just a general donation to science, sign a deal with a specific Medical School of your choosing.
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 09:32 AM

(28-03-2011 02:50 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I'm currently torn between being an organ donor and offering my body up for science when I die. Any suggestions on which would be the better option, ethically? Personally, I don't care what happens to my body when I'm gone--but I'd like to be the most helpful I can be, and I'm torn as to which one would be the wiser choice.
Well, there's not much of a difference in one respect. As an organ donor your bits and pieces could go to the needy. If you're healthy at the time of your death.
Saying that, and in light of your considering the other option of donation to science, in may States if you sign up as an organ donor there may be a good chance you will be donated to science.
In Toronto at the anatomy museum there, there are people who donated their body to science after death. Subsequently, they were halved, parted and put on display, depending on what parts of their anatomy were deemed fit for display of a particular pathology, or just as a demonstration of the whole person split through the mid-line and displayed in half.

Personally, I'd donate organs and have what's left cremated so as to be shot off in fireworks and the other half dropped into the ocean to become a memorial reef. Ewwww fun fun. Fishes swimming between what use to be me toes. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Are people planning on becoming brain dead in horrific accidents or something? You can't be an organ donor if you're sick, or dead for very long.

I'd definitely donate my organs if I was eligible, but the standards for that are a lot narrower than just donating yourself to a medical school or something.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
28-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I plan to live forever.
Those poor sods in 2400 need people to pilot their starships after all. :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
30-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks for your advice, guys! I'll think about it some more and consider what was said here. Big Grin Also, being shot off in fireworks sound like an epic way to end it... xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user