Post Nye/Ham debate Facebook debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: Post Nye/Ham debate Facebook debate
Generally speaking, I think you did well. You were very reasonable and well informed. But unfortunately that doesn't mean shit when talking to creationists or people who have been brainwashed by religion.

I personally don't know how to best approach the problem to somehow convince such people. Bill Nye wasn't able to do so by using logic and reasonable explanations. So is that really the best strategy?

I think that the first step is to plant the seeds of doubt. When they become shaky in their convictions, I think then it is a good opportunity to present them with reasonable arguments and explanations.

Maybe, in this case, it would have been a better strategy to pinpoint your friends' misunderstandings and reveal them in a way that would make them doubt themselves and the people who indoctrinated them. For instance, his understanding of evolution is clearly flawed. maybe there would have been a better way to demonstrate to him just how misinformed he is?

Also, when talking to religious people, I find pretending to be naive actually helps. Because that is what they are in their very core: naive and gullible. I think a dignified and serious debate gives them too much credit, and they start to think that their position is somehow worthy of consideration. Which is absolutely isn't. It is worthy of ridicule. So I think that the best way to "debate" with such people is to pretend to be naive, ask questions that would eventually lead them to ridicule their own beliefs. The difficult part is to stay polite and endure the insults that they will throw at you.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 12:22 PM
(08-02-2014 08:24 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 04:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Colourcraze,

I suggest you see a doctor about those facial bruises. They look pretty nasty.

Wink

....I don't get it. Is this a turn the other cheek joke? Or do you think I'm being beaten?

Well you could try turning the other cheek but I think you will still manage to hit your own face with your own palm.

Was I being too cryptic? Sorry.

Smartass

08-02-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 12:33 PM by Deerdra.)
Quote:I don’t expect him to understand the whole bible before he debates- if he did, he’d be a Christian, but I felt like it showed his weakness-that’s he’s pompously arguing about things he doesn’t understand and assuming that he knows it all.

I think this, more than anything else in that conversation, annoyed me the most. Dodgy

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, as well as making a very arrogant statement. As if Nye only simply could get it, he would be a Christian, but he is the pompous one! And talk about missing the whole point when Nye said basically "We don't know - let's find out!" Yes, that's exactly what I expect to hear from someone how claims to know it all.
[+] 1 user Likes Deerdra's post
08-02-2014, 05:47 PM
(08-02-2014 12:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 08:24 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  ....I don't get it. Is this a turn the other cheek joke? Or do you think I'm being beaten?

Well you could try turning the other cheek but I think you will still manage to hit your own face with your own palm.

Was I being too cryptic? Sorry.

Smartass

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

I get it now Big GrinSmartass

Weeping yes Sadcryface2
08-02-2014, 05:49 PM
(08-02-2014 12:29 PM)Deerdra Wrote:  
Quote:I don’t expect him to understand the whole bible before he debates- if he did, he’d be a Christian, but I felt like it showed his weakness-that’s he’s pompously arguing about things he doesn’t understand and assuming that he knows it all.

I think this, more than anything else in that conversation, annoyed me the most. Dodgy

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, as well as making a very arrogant statement. As if Nye only simply could get it, he would be a Christian, but he is the pompous one! And talk about missing the whole point when Nye said basically "We don't know - let's find out!" Yes, that's exactly what I expect to hear from someone how claims to know it all.

Right! And as if she understands the whole bible, let alone all Christians. As if that's the prerequisite to being a Christian. Dodgy