Post-grad problems: looking for advice, please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Post-grad problems: looking for advice, please
Hello beautiful people,
I'm quite new here but I just wanted to start off by thanking the members of this community for existing and making your presence known. It's been really nice exploring the things that everyone has to say, even though I'm not always ready to join many of the conversations (I just feel like I have nothing new to contribute).
However, I do feel like this is a place that I can safely rant and maybe get some encouragement and/or advice. So here goes.
I'm not in school anymore, and I'm finding post-graduate life really difficult in a number of ways. The day after I graduated, I started at a really lovely job working in a company that helps promote literacy in individuals who often have learning differences that have left them very far behind their peers when it comes to reading and understanding what they've read. It's really satisfying work; our team can help people make amazing amounts of progress. Unfortunately, although I was able to work full-time in the summer (and thus stay in the area that I went to school, expensive as it is), when the school year began again, demand plummeted and so did my hours, so I had to find another job to supplement my income.
Which leaves me in the position I am now: working three jobs, 50 to 60 hours a week, usually from 6 am to 6 pm every weekday and 9 am to 1 pm on weekends. I have virtually no social life (nearly all of my friends live out of the area), and I'm really struggling to create connections for myself. I don't have a car and public transportation in LA is less than ideal. My boyfriend and I just broke up because I wasn't able to give him enough of my time and attention (among other things, which I hope to discuss in the Intimacy/Relationships subforum once I get access to it). I'm trying to research grad schools so I can start applying once I have enough money saved, but in the meantime I feel like I'm all alone and I'm floundering. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to make myself feel better? I feel like making friends would help immensely, but I have no idea where to find the time or the energy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2016, 10:04 PM
RE: Post-grad problems: looking for advice, please
Hi Smile What is your degree in?
13-03-2016, 10:13 PM
English, with a minor in philosophy. I tried to be English and pre med for two years but it wasn't for me. I'm hoping to pursue teaching in the future hence the grad school
13-03-2016, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2016 11:20 PM by jennybee.)
I was an undergrad in Literature and Sociology. As I'm sure you know, that's kind of a tough one to get a good paying job in. Luckily, my adviser was one of my Eng Lit professors and she recommended that I minor in legal studies (she was a paralegal while working her way through her Masters to teach). So, I added the legal studies minor to my degree and was able to work as a paralegal if I wanted to while getting my Masters. I ended up working in Human Resources for a bit instead and worked part-time as a personal trainer until getting my Masters in Gerontology, however I do like that I have the legal studies aspect of my degree to fall back on if need be.

IMO--I would recommend getting a paralegal certificate which doesn't cost a ton to do and does not take a ton of time to achieve (I'm talking 4-6 classes). I think you may even be able to get loans. You can make a decent salary as a paralegal, the ones at my ex's law firm make like 60-70,000/year or more plus bonuses. Your background in English (your ability to write well and analyze text) will come in handy as a paralegal, so your degree won't go to waste. You'll also be able to save money quicker to put to your grad degree, so you can get on to doing what you really want to do. In my experience, sometimes you have to get off the path for a little bit to get to where you want to go.

The other thing I would suggest is to see if you are able to get loans and go straight into your Masters. Possibly even move back home if you have to. Maybe get into some substitute teaching or internships at a school or a Teacher's Aide position. There are also places that tutor kids, so that would be another place to look. Or start tutoring people in English on your own.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, just my two cents Wink

I'm sorry about your bf--it's never easy to get out of a rship. Hug
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Hi Smile You can be friends with us Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the support guys; it means a lot Smile jennybee, I love the paralegal idea. I'll have to look into online programs if possible - I'm not sure how I would be able to do a program otherwise given my lack of car. I actually considered law school for a bit before doing more research and discovering my utter lack of willingness to make such a huge commitment right now...paralegal sounds much more doable.
And I'm very happy to know that I have friends here!
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
14-03-2016, 09:52 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-03-2016, 11:57 PM
You could also try contacting a few law firms in your area. Some might even train you (since you have a college degree) without a paralegal certificate.