Post kids career change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Post kids career change
If this is to light for this section please move

I have been in my current career for 20 years, 26 if you count my time in college. It has become a significant drag. More and more I do not feel like going. It is a fairly good field. The pay is good and the work is sometimes interesting. I got 7 years until my youngest is out if high school. My older two should be done or almost done college at that time. I will be 50 at that time. I really do not think I can stand doing what I do now for another 20+ years. Changing now would be detrimental to the family but I can get what ever cradentuals I will need to move on after kids.

A couple of things that come to mind. X-Ray tech. Not sure the hours or pay. Go get a teaching cert in math/science since I have a related degree and go teach middle school. Go get a music ed/math/scienc and see if a school could use a math and science teacher that could also teach beginner band.

It would be a big cut in pay but I have a good neat egg for retirement already. Without the kids in private school and other kid expenses wife and I could live as well as we do now on about 40% of what I make. She has agreed to sell our 3700 sq-ft house after our second starts college. Should be able to turn the sale into a smaller house mostly paid. She also started working so we would not be 100% dependant on me for money.

That is if we do not split for other reasons.

In put, comments, discussion?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
RE: Post kids career change
Uh oh, male menopause. You've arrived at that time of life when men begin rethinking their careers. You are one of millions who've changed horses in mid stream.
02-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I am well aware I am not unique. Guess after you spend a good chunck of your life working to make sure your family is cared for you want to enjoy what you so again.
02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
3700 sqft house wtf
mine is 1100 sqft.

by the time you get down to the kitchen for breakfast, it is time to go to bed again!
03-09-2014, 05:30 AM
(02-09-2014 10:20 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  3700 sqft house wtf
mine is 1100 sqft.

by the time you get down to the kitchen for breakfast, it is time to go to bed again!

Yes it is way to big. When we moved we were looking for 2200-2500 sqft. This house is an older home and was the same price. I would like between 1500 and 1800 sqft once the kids are gone.
03-09-2014, 05:34 AM
I say do what makes you happy (with the caveat that you're not plunging your family into homelessness or something). It sounds like you've got some ideas, so just keep narrowing it down til you find what you want to do. Discuss things with your family so they're on board, too.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
03-09-2014, 06:44 AM
(03-09-2014 05:34 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I say do what makes you happy (with the caveat that you're not plunging your family into homelessness or something). It sounds like you've got some ideas, so just keep narrowing it down til you find what you want to do. Discuss things with your family so they're on board, too.

That is the idea in taking the next 5-7 years to get ready. My oldest two will be on their own by then and the youngest one will be close. I have been talking to my wife about this for a while. I think she understands. As I get older money and stuff become less important. I have never been one to chase the Joneses. My happiness is far more important than how my possessions measure up against other people's possessions.

Before I do this there are a few things I want. A new sax since mine is old and starting to show it's age. It was bought new in 1981, my parents bought it for me in 1984 from the original owner. It is a student level horn so putting it back in good shape would cost more than the horn is worth. I still play so it will be used. The other thing is a tri bike. I want to do an ironman at some point in time. Right now I do sprint distance tri's on my road bike. It works fine for 10-20 mile bike legs. Next year I want to move up to longer distances.
03-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I would send your resume off to some recruiters. Sometimes a change of scenery is enough of a change.

My husband was feeling stagnant for a bit, a friend offered him a job at another place, it was fun in the beginning but quickly turned into a nightmare. He switched again and now is still in his field but in a completely different side of it and he loves it.

So, maybe there is something out there that uses the skills you have but in just a completely different way that breathes some life into work again and changes the pace of things.

And a word of caution: don't expect children to be independent too far in the future. Life ( kids) have a way of throwing a curve ball and changing plans ( unexpected grand children, unable to get employment and be self supporting right out of school, bad relationships, etc)

I am fond of change.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-09-2014, 09:55 AM
I changed directions many times, often jumped to totally unrelated careers.

Variety is the spice of life!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
It sounds like a great plan to me. Thumbsup

A few years ago I investigated getting a teaching certificate so I could teach math/science in middle or high school. I didn't pursue it, but I may yet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user