Post mortem Bliss.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Post mortem Bliss.
I would like to briefly consider some religious beliefs relating to this promised phenomenon.

Christianity. Revelations suggests a physical environment with golden streets etc. Nothing too esoteric here, so it would appear to suggest human beings enjoying their reward, gained,here on earth, by accepting Jesus as their personal saviour . "Eternal" suggest forever and ever, not a step towards higher learning (more a Purgatory thing) Question Do some believers see their eternal reward as further schooling or have they learned all their lessons in their varying earthly life spans? The N/T is unclear, though there is reference to god having many mansions. Further learning would have serious implocations on "eternal life" as one could always fail post hoc. My question relates purely to what some Christians seem to postulate in a thoughtless manner; this has very serious social implications.

Hinduism Here you get your bliss, maybe, by a series of incarnations.
The soul flits from womb to womb learning how to transcend the material world which is'nt material at all; it is in fact an illusion according th those savvy in such things. When reached after any number of incarnations Nirvana, freedom from pleasure or pain is reached?
Question Is all that suffering (souls, incubating in cats, rats, trees, rocks, spiders and humans really worth it , given the seemingly rather dull reward?
Again serious social implications relating to the caste system, former widow burning etc.

I would contend that these issues are worthy of debate,by virtue of the fact that religions should be viewed relevant to their worst aspects rather than any redeeming features, the latter of which I do not deny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2011 12:58 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
RE: Post mortem Bliss.
So what is it you are actually asking? Is there a class system in heaven?
Seems like a rather silly question, especially when the idea of an afterlife is so ridiculous.

Assuming a God exists, assuming god is omnipotent, assuming god intentionally created homo sapiens, assuming god cares about humans, assuming god wants you to worship him, assuming you pick the right religion, assuming god created a heaven, assuming god can monitor every human, assuming god cares if you are good, assuming you are good....then you get to go to heaven.

*Note: There is nearly a 0% chance you pick the correct religion given the fact that nearly an infinite number of them have, presently, or will exists.

And if you assume all that, then you are a fool.
Forget the lottery, someone would have a better shot of dematerialize and rematerializing on the moon.
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
(06-09-2011 08:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Christianity. Revelations suggests a physical environment with golden streets etc. Nothing too esoteric here, so it would appear to suggest human beings enjoying their reward, gained,here on earth, by accepting Jesus as their personal saviour . "Eternal" suggest forever and ever, not a step towards higher learning (more a Purgatory thing) Question Do some believers see their eternal reward as further schooling or have they learned all their lessons in their varying earthly life spans? The N/T is unclear, though there is reference to god having many mansions. Further learning would have serious implocations on "eternal life" as one could always fail post hoc. My question relates purely to what some Christians seem to postulate in a thoughtless manner; this has very serious social implications.

One part of eternity will be getting to know God better. Since his nature will never change and part of his nature is to be a creator it seems logical that he will constantly be creating new things and there will always be something new to learn.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2011, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2011 01:33 AM by Mr Woof.)
(07-09-2011 12:46 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  So what is it you are actually asking? Is there a class system in heaven?
Seems like a rather silly question, especially when the idea of an afterlife is so ridiculous.

Assuming a God exists, assuming god is omnipotent, assuming god intentionally created homo sapiens, assuming god cares about humans, assuming god wants you to worship him, assuming you pick the right religion, assuming god created a heaven, assuming god can monitor every human, assuming god cares if you are good, assuming you are good....then you get to go to heaven.

*Note: There is nearly a 0% chance you pick the correct religion given the fact that nearly an infinite number of them have, presently, or will exists.

And if you assume all that, then you are a fool.
Forget the lottery, someone would have a better shot of dematerialize and rematerializing on the moon.

Gosh you do try to make me sound silly with all those alleged assumptions.
Actually I was primarily concerned with the dangers inherent in people believing quite silly things.
"Are you sure enough to be unsure"?
(07-09-2011 11:10 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-09-2011 08:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Christianity. Revelations suggests a physical environment with golden streets etc. Nothing too esoteric here, so it would appear to suggest human beings enjoying their reward, gained,here on earth, by accepting Jesus as their personal saviour . "Eternal" suggest forever and ever, not a step towards higher learning (more a Purgatory thing) Question Do some believers see their eternal reward as further schooling or have they learned all their lessons in their varying earthly life spans? The N/T is unclear, though there is reference to god having many mansions. Further learning would have serious implocations on "eternal life" as one could always fail post hoc. My question relates purely to what some Christians seem to postulate in a thoughtless manner; this has very serious social implications.

One part of eternity will be getting to know God better. Since his nature will never change and part of his nature is to be a creator it seems logical that he will constantly be creating new things and there will always be something new to learn.
Sort of like playing new computer games, huh?Wink
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:Gosh you do try to make me sound silly with all those alleged assumptions.
Actually I was primarily concerned with the dangers inherent in people believing quite silly things.
"Are you sure enough to be unsure"?

I was saying you assumed such things, but any theists who believes he is going to heaven has to assume all of those things.

Given the ridiculously small chance of heavens existence, what is the point of asking questions pertaining to an alternate existence in heaven? You can ask any number of questions concerning life in heaven, but how could anyone answer them? You cant use logic and reason to describe a magical kingdom!