Post your quirky scientific interests here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Post your quirky scientific interests here
I know there has to be members on here who study strange things. For me, I like to study mycology (the study of mushrooms). It's been a strong interest of mine for about 15 years now.

[Image: tumblr_n895qwDmSM1qib7wuo1_400.png]

What about you?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 06:25 AM
RE: Post your quirky scientific interests here
(17-09-2015 06:20 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  I know there has to be members on here who study strange things. For me, I like to study mycology (the study of mushrooms). It's been a strong interest of mine for about 15 years now.

[Image: tumblr_n895qwDmSM1qib7wuo1_400.png]

What about you?

Collect spores, mushrooms and fungus???

Sounds like my first roommate's refrigerator...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Everybody knows what I study. Heart

Was thinking you meant like holographic universe or related fringe.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-09-2015, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't say I'm too much into mushrooms as a science, but I am into foraging and, out of the various things available to forage, mushrooms are among the items that require the most understanding in order to do so without getting yourself sick. So I do tend to pay attention to at least some degree Smile

Two fields I do try to stay current in are neuroscience and endocrinology. Neuroscience because I'm a language nerd with a shitty memory, and understanding the latest research on how the brain works helps a lot in regards to being able to manipulate memory function to more efficiently dump shit into it and not forget. Endocrinology because I'm a fitness nerd, and I've found it much more useful than the highly flawed field of nutrition science in understanding diet as it relates to getting your body to react the way you want to how you work it and what you put into it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
17-09-2015, 07:10 AM
(17-09-2015 06:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I wouldn't say I'm too much into mushrooms as a science, but I am into foraging and, out of the various things available to forage, mushrooms are among the items that require the most understanding in order to do so without getting yourself sick. So I do tend to pay attention to at least some degree Smile

Two fields I do try to stay current in are neuroscience and endocrinology. Neuroscience because I'm a language nerd with a shitty memory, and understanding the latest research on how the brain works helps a lot in regards to being able to manipulate memory function to more efficiently dump shit into it and not forget. Endocrinology because I'm a fitness nerd, and I've found it much more useful than the highly flawed field of nutrition science in understanding diet as it relates to getting your body to react the way you want to how you work it and what you put into it.

That's awesome! You don't have to get balls deep into the science of it in order to forage safely but some of it does help with identification such as using a microscope to view the shape of the spores. Have you ever tried to ID a red Russula? There are 20 different species and impossible to ID without a microscope. What guide book are you using? I started out with the Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms but I have found many mistakes in it since becoming more knowledgeable about mycology. It can be tricky. Mycologists are constantly re-classifying species in to differing genus such as Lepista nuda (wood blewit) becoming Clitocybe nuda. Some guides will attribute species which are continent-specific to local species which creates confusion (you can see that with the attribution of Amanita ceasarea to Amanita Jacksonii here in the U.S.). I started out wanting to forage to eat them, but my interest in eating them has diminished over the years ( unless we are talking about the more favorable species such as Craterellus cornucopiodes, Morchella esculenta, Cantherellus (any), Grifola frondosa, Laetiporus sulpherus, Pleurotus ostreatus, etc,.). What are your favorite go to species for foraging?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 07:11 AM
(17-09-2015 06:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I wouldn't say I'm too much into mushrooms as a science...

[Image: Psilocybe_allenii_62599.jpg]

[Image: -a-fine-day-for-science.png]

OK, I'm doing it again. Blush

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-09-2015, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 07:55 AM by Octapulse.)
(17-09-2015 07:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 06:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I wouldn't say I'm too much into mushrooms as a science...

[Image: Psilocybe_allenii_62599.jpg]

[Image: -a-fine-day-for-science.png]

OK, I'm doing it again. Blush

Nice Cubensis

Edit *I have pinned this specific species down to Psilocybe allenii

[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 07:25 AM
(17-09-2015 07:12 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Nice Cubensis

Left the science to wiki. I don't do any actual science beyond "develop naive mathematical theology" and second order science communication. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-09-2015, 07:39 AM
I read a lot about kinesiology. I haven't done the mushroom foraging thing, but that sounds fun!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-09-2015, 07:50 AM
(17-09-2015 07:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I read a lot about kinesiology. I haven't done the mushroom foraging thing, but that sounds fun!

Everything can be fun, once . . . . Dodgy

Unless you know what you're doing you can kill yourself really quick. If you would like to get into it, find a nearby expert or foraging group to go out on forays with. Are you in northern or southern California? Northern is the best place to be for mushrooms and is where I started (Mendocino county). There is a lot of different angles on identifying a species. You could be correct and angles 1-9 and be wrong on angle 10 and enjoy liver failure. What I did before ventured into the forest is extensively studied all of the deadly species. I learned to identify those before anything else. I have only encountered one deadly mushroom in the wild, that was Amanita phalloides, better known as the death cap. It can be fun and rewarding, but only after you have done due diligence. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post