Post your quirky scientific interests here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: Post your quirky scientific interests here
(17-09-2015 09:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 09:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  When I make a portobello burger, I scrape out the gills with a spoon, so it's not so earthy tasting. Is that considered uncouth in the foraging community? Tongue

Nah that's fine. it's just that with indigo caps, the initial appearance is just the beginning of their weirdness. This colored latex like fluid leaks out when you cut them or scrape the gills, which is probably unnerving if you're not expecting it, and yet another reason why my son likes these ones lol. It's perfectly safe, though.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' I'd leave the gills on that one Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2015, 09:45 AM
(17-09-2015 09:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would like to learn more about astronomy, now that I am out country and can see the stars much better than I could in the city.

I as well. I am saving up my duckets for a nice telescope

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 09:52 AM by jennybee.)
(17-09-2015 09:45 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 09:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would like to learn more about astronomy, now that I am out country and can see the stars much better than I could in the city.

I need to save my duckets for one too. They have a really cool space & science center near where I live. This sounds really cool...

https://14884.blackbaudhosting.com/14884...7a020c3d7b
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-09-2015, 09:51 AM
(17-09-2015 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 09:45 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  I as well. I am saving up my duckets for a nice telescope

I need to save my duckets for one too. Btw, wtf is a ducket Tongue

A female duck? Unless it is pronounced doo-kay...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducat

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-09-2015, 09:55 AM
(17-09-2015 09:45 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  

I got an amazing deal on a telescope last summer, but due to a broken gear in the mount, it's been sitting in my office unused. I live in one of the cloudiest places in the US as well, so the motivation to buy a new mount has been low. I really want to take another trip out to the desert once I get it fixed so I can do some stellar photography.

I've always been interested in astronomy and astrophysics. Some of the scales of energy is simply mind blowing. I've had to put down a few books just to wrap my mind around something that is totally out of our realm of reference. How do you truly imagine the size of a large star? A light year? A galaxy?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 09:55 AM
(17-09-2015 09:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I need to save my duckets for one too. Btw, wtf is a ducket Tongue

A female duck? Unless it is pronounced doo-kay...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducat

Laugh out load oops just realized I took that part out while I was updating my post with a link for cool night hike under the stars.

okay dookay Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-09-2015, 10:42 AM
This looks like a good deal right here:

8 inch Telescope

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 10:49 AM
(17-09-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  This looks like a good deal right here:

8 inch Telescope

Mead Telescope

I got one of these. It's nice, but I want a better one.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Oh gosh I would love to have a telescope. I too love to learn about astronomy, unfortunately there are no real open areas where I am. This morning I got up early to see Venus and I was surprised I could see it through some hazy clouds, pretty impressive but it would be more fun with a scope. Allegedly Venus is visible in daylight if it's far from the sun...I love to pay attention to stuff like that and see what I can see. If I had dark skies and binoculars even I would be a happy skywatcher.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
18-09-2015, 10:19 PM
(18-09-2015 09:16 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Oh gosh I would love to have a telescope. I too love to learn about astronomy, unfortunately there are no real open areas where I am. This morning I got up early to see Venus and I was surprised I could see it through some hazy clouds, pretty impressive but it would be more fun with a scope. Allegedly Venus is visible in daylight if it's far from the sun...I love to pay attention to stuff like that and see what I can see. If I had dark skies and binoculars even I would be a happy skywatcher.

Just took my dog out for a walk--the moon is so pretty tonight!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post