Post your quirky scientific interests here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2015, 07:43 PM
RE: Post your quirky scientific interests here
(19-09-2015 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 07:50 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  I have only encountered one deadly mushroom in the wild, that was Amanita phalloides, better known as the death cap.

That's some scary shit right there. Looks innocuous while waiting to assassinate your liver in one fell swipe.

[Image: deathcap.jpg]

Now Amanita muscaria looks scarier than it is. Big Grin

[Image: flyagaricus.jpg]

Amanita muscaria (the red one) is also technically poisonous but it can become edible through sun drying and is mildly hallucinogenic

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2015, 07:54 PM
(19-09-2015 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 07:12 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Nice Cubensis

Edit *I have pinned this specific species down to Psilocybe allenii

Can you teach Girly with his dim wit and horticultural brown thumb how to grow these? Pretty please. The spores themselves do not appar to be illegal in my State.

I've looked into it before but have never done it. There is a wealth of information online about growing them. Youtube is actually a good place to start. The key is maintaining a sterile environment. Because you are creating conditions that makes it easier for fungus to grow, bacteria can also hop aboard and ruin your operation. Depending on how serious you are, you might want to invest in a good hepa filtration system. You will need a bunch of mason jars (7 - 10) for inoculation. You will also need a large pressure cooker to sterilize the mason jars. There are a variety of host substrates that people prefer to use. You can read up on those and see which might work best for you. Once the mycellium has overtaken the substrate, it's important to maintain heat and moisture. You can actually get multiple flushes out of the same substrate so don't throw it away after the first use! There are plenty of online companies where you can purchase spore syringes to inoculate your substrate. If the laws are lax where you are then it should be smooth sailing!
Good luck!

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
20-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I had a grilled portobello sandwich for dinner--made me think of you guys Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-09-2015, 06:49 PM
(20-09-2015 06:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had a grilled portobello sandwich for dinner--made me think of you guys Big Grin

Sounds yummy. I made a teriyaki stir-fry with those oyster mushrooms I found. It was dynamite!

[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
20-09-2015, 09:47 PM
(20-09-2015 06:49 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 06:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had a grilled portobello sandwich for dinner--made me think of you guys Big Grin

Sounds yummy. I made a teriyaki stir-fry with those oyster mushrooms I found. It was dynamite!

I love throwing mushrooms in a stir fry--so good!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-09-2015, 11:25 PM
My current scientific interest is this drug I am on. I just learned there are only two of us here. TWO!

And people have died from it. Yep, this shit is my current science interest. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-09-2015, 11:26 PM
(20-09-2015 06:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had a grilled pot belly sandwich for dinner--made me think of you guys Big Grin

Hey, are you having a go at me???????? Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
20-09-2015, 11:30 PM
(20-09-2015 11:26 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 06:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I had a grilled pot belly sandwich for dinner--made me think of you guys Big Grin

Hey, are you having a go at me???????? Tongue

Banjo, did you screw around with my post Tongue For shame Laugh out load For a second there, I thought it was my autocorrect Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-09-2015, 11:30 PM
(20-09-2015 11:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 11:26 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hey, are you having a go at me???????? Tongue

Banjo, did you screw around with my post Tongue For shame Laugh out load

Me?????? Huh Heart

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-09-2015, 11:32 PM
(20-09-2015 11:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 11:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Banjo, did you screw around with my post Tongue For shame Laugh out load

Me?????? Huh Heart

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post